Discussion Have You Ever Beaten an Opponent on Your First Turn?

Zeno

The Wanderer
The thought just came to me as I 'Turn 1'd' someone on the PTCGO ladder. Technically, it was my second turn (first attacking turn for me) and I had knocked out my opponent's only Pokemon on the field for the victory.

Setup: I place Froakie in active and opponent places Trubbish in the active. No bench on either side.
Turn 1: Froakie out, attach water energy and Wally for Frogadier.
Turn 2: Opponent attaches energy to Trubbish but does nothing else for the turn.
Turn 3: Evolve Frogadier to Greninja and Moonlight Slash + return energy to hand for the victory.

So that makes me wonder, have you ever 'Turn 1'd' someone? Either on actual turn 1 or on your first attacking turn, and how did it go? The only way I know of to properly Turn 1 someone would be to have Latios-EX Fast Raid on first turn for knockout on the opponent's active with no bench, but those more familiar with cards and attacks, is there another way to do this?

If I go first with my Decidueye GX deck, I can end the game on my first attacking turn, assuming my opponent doesn't have anything benched. I suppose if I got lucky I could take out two low HP Pokemon, although I never have.

If you got really lucky, I guess you could properly turn 1 someone with Decidueye's feather arrow ability. You'd probably need to build three or four on turn one though, which would require a silly amount of luck lol

Back when Hypnotoxic Laser was run in far too many decks, and when Night March was the deck to beat, I was on the recieving end of a Turn 1 loss. I had a lone Joltik out on the field and - like many other Night March players - watched helplessly as my opponent played a Hypnotoxic Laser to secure the game. They weren't even planning on playing that Item, either. >.>

I've done it plenty of times, but to be fair this was in the Wizards days when you could Trade/Breed/Bill/Oak your way to a first turn fully powered Blastoise and the opponent had no basics.

If I go first with my Decidueye GX deck, I can end the game on my first attacking turn, assuming my opponent doesn't have anything benched. I suppose if I got lucky I could take out two low HP Pokemon, although I never have.

If you got really lucky, I guess you could properly turn 1 someone with Decidueye's feather arrow ability. You'd probably need to build three or four on turn one though, which would require a silly amount of luck lol

As much as I've gone against Decidueye, I can't believe it skipped my mind. Yeah, that perfect hand/draw could definitely get rid of an unfortunate opponent in the first turn.

Back when Hypnotoxic Laser was run in far too many decks, and when Night March was the deck to beat, I was on the recieving end of a Turn 1 loss. I had a lone Joltik out on the field and - like many other Night March players - watched helplessly as my opponent played a Hypnotoxic Laser to secure the game. They weren't even planning on playing that Item, either. >.>

Out of curiosity, how did they KO with hypnotoxic? (I wasn't playing when that item was in standard) Wouldn't it only do 1 damage counter between turns? But that really sucks! Being on the receiving end of a helpless Turn 1 KO has to be awful, especially if it was in any sort of tournament setting.

Ive gotten T1ed by Latios tons in the past. Poor combee and his dismal 40HP :'(

I've done a lot of T1 wins, mainly with Latios Donk.
If I go second, then I've been able to win on my first playing turn with M- -EX. Both of these have been good for the PTCGO ladder after I neglect it for days upon end.

As much as I've gone against Decidueye, I can't believe it skipped my mind. Yeah, that perfect hand/draw could definitely get rid of an unfortunate opponent in the first turn.

Out of curiosity, how did they KO with hypnotoxic? (I wasn't playing when that item was in standard) Wouldn't it only do 1 damage counter between turns? But that really sucks! Being on the receiving end of a helpless Turn 1 KO has to be awful, especially if it was in any sort of tournament setting.
Virbank city gym.

It would add 2 damage counters to get the KO. Pretty annoying I agree

I guess not a lot of people remember sabledonk at this point, huh? That was a nightmare, donks were a huge part of the DP formats

In my Water deck, I can sometimes get a win on my first attacking turn under these specific conditions: Psyduck is active, play Wally to evolve into Golduck, and Double Jet (120 damage) with perhaps a Muscle or Choice Band.

I also constantly find myself on the other end of this whenever I face a Night March deck.

It's easier to do so with this GX/evolution-oriented new format, as long as their Active Pokemon is a 60HP or less Basic and they have no Bench.
Tauros-GX's Horn Attack :p fits into any deck.

I have been donked by Greninja and donked using Greninja.

Staryu is great to start with in Volcanion, except for the fact that I couldn't draw into another pokemon my first turn and was knocked out by Talonflame.
I go first with Greninja, start Froakie, bench another and pass. My opponent, not expecting what I had in hand, benches a Froakie and bubbles. (It was irrelevant if he hit it or not, don't remember.) I have a hand with Greninja, Wally, Rare Candy and 2 Energy. Who needs to water duplicates when you can get a turn two BREAK.

Hipnotoxic laser and virbank city gyl made a 3 damage counter poison between turns, making for a knockout of 30 hp joltick

I've won on turn 1 plenty of times if you count going second with my volcanion deck, baby volcanion in active, bench hoopa, get 3 volcanion ex, ultra Ball for 1 more volcanion EX, professors letter times 2 for energy, 4 steam ups, choice band, ko lele.
Now people must hate lele starts

Last edited by a moderator:
I got 2 of my pokemon KO'd on the very first turn once (which means before an attack could be made) in Expanded with an incredible amount of Forretress (Flash Fire), luck, scoop ups, devolution sprays and a lot of items to pull from the deck. The guy ended up with like 12 cards left by the time he won.

Other than that, I sometimes get 1 turn KO's with fighting decks or a DCE and Tauros, but I hope I can achieve something as impressive as that guy lol

(Edited because I'm stupid and thought it was Crobat instead of Forretress, which makes no sense)

Last edited:
The thought just came to me as I 'Turn 1'd' someone on the PTCGO ladder. Technically, it was my second turn (first attacking turn for me) and I had knocked out my opponent's only Pokemon on the field for the victory.

Setup: I place Froakie in active and opponent places Trubbish in the active. No bench on either side.
Turn 1: Froakie out, attach water energy and Wally for Frogadier.
Turn 2: Opponent attaches energy to Trubbish but does nothing else for the turn.
Turn 3: Evolve Frogadier to Greninja and Moonlight Slash + return energy to hand for the victory.

So that makes me wonder, have you ever 'Turn 1'd' someone? Either on actual turn 1 or on your first attacking turn, and how did it go? The only way I know of to properly Turn 1 someone would be to have Latios-EX Fast Raid on first turn for knockout on the opponent's active with no bench, but those more familiar with cards and attacks, is there another way to do this?
Hold on m8 I got a good story for ya! So my opponent has a Garchomp deck right? He sets out Gible, 60 hp. No others. I have evolutions hitmonchan as active. He starts. Attaches energy. Ends turn. I attach muscle band to hitmonchan and use nest ball to put regirock ex on my bench, increasing hitmonchan's attack to 60. KO!

Latios/Decidueye// Latios/Fortress in expanded, i guess a few times everyday farming for ladder and seeking for that satisfying feeling to turn 1 ko a wailord EX

Hipnotoxic laser and virbank city gyl made a 3 damage counter poison between turns, making for a knockout of 30 hp joltick

I've won on turn 1 plenty of times if you count going second with my volcanion deck, baby volcanion in active, bench hoopa, get 3 volcanion ex, ultra Ball for 1 more volcanion EX, professors letter times 2 for energy, 4 steam ups, choice band, ko lele.
Now people must hate lele starts
That's a perfect 8 cards off the top though...

That's a perfect 8 cards off the top though...
Nope, my opening hand was trash and my opponent played n, played some of those cards and then used roller skates and kukui getting 5 extra cards there..
, I just find myself lucky that my opponent couldn't get good enough cards to bench more Pokemon.

Baby Volcanion nails Turn1 wins a lot for me online especially with choice band and Steam up, can reach 110-140 damage with some good digging.

Back