Discussion Hammers in Vespiquen?

GengarGuys

"Pickle Enthusiast"
So seeing how all of the Vespiquen decks are very frail, and you want to achieve multiple attacks with a single Vespiquen to setup a win, hammers seem very viable in Vespiquen variants.

good idea, but Vespiquen is already really cramped, both in standard and expanded. For standard, depends on the build, mine is currently the eeveelutions route and that is a really cramped deck. For expanded, well, the consensus seems to be run it with Flareon, and I've seen some lists of that and they also seem really cramped.

There isn't much room in Vespiquen, since it requires lots of Pokemon for you to toss away, and the resources to do that (Battle compressor, etc). Fitting a Crushing Hammer setup seems next to impossible. A single Enhanced Hammer or Xerosic could be snuck in however, and can be quite devastating when played at a critical moment. It should benoted though that Vespiquen's frailty isn't such a big deal in Standard or Expanded. The idea behind the deck is to deliver swift one-hit knockouts. You're already winning the Prize trade against non-EX decks, and through thinning your deck down and heavy draw power, getting a new Vespiquen / Flareon ready to go is no issue. The reliance on Double Colorless Energy isn't an obstacle thanks to Milotic and / or Flareon and Blacksmith. I really don't see how adding hammers will help the deck. One of the worst things for Vespiquen is Item lock, where hammers can't be played anyway, so there's not much help there.

There isn't much room in Vespiquen, since it requires lots of Pokemon for you to toss away, and the resources to do that (Battle compressor, etc). Fitting a Crushing Hammer setup seems next to impossible. A single Enhanced Hammer or Xerosic could be snuck in however, and can be quite devastating when played at a critical moment. It should benoted though that Vespiquen's frailty isn't such a big deal in Standard or Expanded. The idea behind the deck is to deliver swift one-hit knockouts. You're already winning the Prize trade against non-EX decks, and through thinning your deck down and heavy draw power, getting a new Vespiquen / Flareon ready to go is no issue. The reliance on Double Colorless Energy isn't an obstacle thanks to Milotic and / or Flareon and Blacksmith. I really don't see how adding hammers will help the deck. One of the worst things for Vespiquen is Item lock, where hammers can't be played anyway, so there's not much help there.
Could you imagine a Crawdaunt PRC line in Vespiquen, just to help get rid of energies on opponents next turn potential attackers? It'd be ridiculous to fit in, but it could work.

Could you imagine a Crawdaunt PRC line in Vespiquen, just to help get rid of energies on opponents next turn potential attackers? It'd be ridiculous to fit in, but it could work.

Crawdaunt doesn't seem compatible with Vespiquen's strategy. Bee Revenge operates off Pokemon in the discard, whereas Crawdaunt (and the Corphish it evolves from) must be benched in order to use Untruly Claw. Also there is no way to possibly find room for Super Scoop Up, so there's no way to re-use Crawdaunt's Ability, or to get it into the discard to fuel Vespiquen's attack.

My bottom line is energy disruption simply isn't conducive to Vespiquen's strategy, even if you did have space to include it. The focus of the deck is to one-shot Pokemon with Bee Revenge. The fast nature of the deck makes streaming attackers easy enough without needing to slow the opponent down.

I haven't really needed Hammers in Vespiquen. Thanks to Puzzle of Time, I have 6 DCE if I need them.

Crawdaunt doesn't seem compatible with Vespiquen's strategy. Bee Revenge operates off Pokemon in the discard, whereas Crawdaunt (and the Corphish it evolves from) must be benched in order to use Untruly Claw. Also there is no way to possibly find room for Super Scoop Up, so there's no way to re-use Crawdaunt's Ability, or to get it into the discard to fuel Vespiquen's attack.

My bottom line is energy disruption simply isn't conducive to Vespiquen's strategy, even if you did have space to include it. The focus of the deck is to one-shot Pokemon with Bee Revenge. The fast nature of the deck makes streaming attackers easy enough without needing to slow the opponent down.
Thats how it should be, but someone could figure out a teched out build that works to a degree.

Back