• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Gyarados HGSS - Unlimited

Eaux

Aspiring Trainer
Deck List:

4-4 Gyarados HGSS
1-1-1 Tyranitar UL
2-2-1 Dusknoir DP

16 Pokemon

4 Celio's Network
4 Super Energy Removal
4 Energy Removal
2 Gust of Wind
2 Super Scoop Up
3 Interviewer's Questions
1 Pokemon Collector
1 Professor Elm's Training Method
2 Switch
2 Bebe's Search
1 Marley's Request
3 Professor Elm
2 Pokemon Communication

31 Trainers

1 Recycle Energy
2 Darkness Energy - Special
2 Water Energy
4 Double Colorless Energy
4 Double Rainbow Energy

13 energy

Strategy:

The ideal strategy with this deck is obviously to disrupt. All 4 Gyarados HGSS and the Tyranitar UL can remove energy with their Hyper Beam attack. This paired with 4 Energy Removal disrupts their energy even further. Pair the 4 Super Energy Removals with the Recycle Energy and it continues to disrupt their energy. I threw the Marley's Request in there to make the opponent choose either ER or SER which i'm sure they will choose ER, but it'll still be like having 5 ERs in the deck. The Dusknoir DP is there for his pokemon power to disrupt the opponent's bench. I put a 2-2-1 in there instead of a 1-1-1 b/c I want to increase the chance that they aren't in my prizes, I guess..I don't know. Most of the rest of the trainers are for speed to get pokemon and energies out fast. The Gust of winds are for OHKOs or more disruption. Any input or thoughts would be much appreciated. Thanks.

-edit-

Possibilities I have thought of, pokemon-wise, was to replace tyranitar and the dark energies with Feraligatr Prime, but that would mean dropping the double rainbow energy too and replacing it with a few more water energies. I figured even doing 10 less damage, the disruption was worth more than trying to alter it to have feraligatr. I also thought about Floatzel G Lv. X (I don't own one) for his pokemon power to bring cards back to my hand if a water pokemon dies, but I figured since I have 4 gyarados and that tyranitar which is similar to the gyarados, 5 of them is enough to not worry about getting their cards back into my hand.

Well in unlimited, I don't think it would be slow. My reasoning for believing that is b/c it would only take 1 double rainbow energy and one DCE and he's ready to go. I lose 10 dmg, but they lose their energy faster. the 3 interviewer's questions also help in getting the energy needed.

I figured with feraligatr, I'd have to take out T-tar (3 cards), and the 2 special dark energy for a total of 5 cards. Adding a 1-1-1 Feraligatr would only leave me room for 2 more water energy. 6 more total water energy if I took out the double rainbow energy, for a grand total of 8 water energy.

One radical option would be 1-1-1 feraligatr, 3-3 gyarados, 1-1 Floatzel GL Lv.X and use those 2 as techs to get another gyarados already sitting on the bench insta-ready with the old gyarados' water energy (given the benched gyarados already has a DCE on it or if I have 4 Water in my hand after retrieving the dead Gyarados, possibly even replacing the 4 DCE's with 4 water). Then dropping the recently dead magikarp on the bench to get him ready to evolve next turn into another benched-ready gyarados. I say radical, b/c I do not currently own a Floatzel GL Lv.X, but could buy one.

Thoughts?

The Feraligatr-tech'd deck list would look something like this:

Deck List:

3-3 Gyarados HGSS
1-1-1 Feraligatr Prime
1-1 Floatzel GL Lv.X
2-2-1 Dusknoir DP

16 Pokemon

4 Celio's Network
4 Super Energy Removal
4 Energy Removal
2 Gust of Wind
2 Super Scoop Up
3 Interviewer's Questions
1 Pokemon Collector
1 Professor Elm's Training Method
2 Switch
2 Bebe's Search
1 Marley's Request
3 Professor Elm
2 Pokemon Communication

31 Trainers

1 Recycle Energy
12 Water Energy

13 energy

What about 1 gyarados SF? with 4-4 gyarados, you use it once your other three have gone down, sort of as a surpise, to do 90 damage for free. You could thin the dusknoir line to 1-1-1 with an azelf, if you want.

I did thin down the Dusknoir to 1-1-1 and put a Bench Shield(only have 1 and just got it tonight) in there for Dusknoir, along with 1 rare candy (I only have one). I thought about using Gyarados SF as a sort of "last resort", but my entire thought process behind this deck is disrupting their energy. Unless they have like 4 Fisherman or other energy grabbers, I don't see my gyarados dying easily except to stuff like Crobat Prime b/c even if I discard its energy, it only takes 1 to use its attacks, or a Luxray GL Lv. X, but luckily no one that i currently play has one. I do like the idea of using Gyarados SF as the 4th though. I'll have to look into that.

I played the modified version with the changes mentioned above once earlier and beat a crobat deck with giratinas galore 6 prizes to 0. I basically got lucky that the 1-1-1 dusknoir wasn't in my prizes early on and as soon as my opponent had some crobats evolved on his bench i shuffled them in his deck. It was smooth sailing after that due to all the energy removing I can do. He even chose professor elm over an energy removal when I played Marley's Request, and the prof elm gave me my tyranitar even though I didn't even need it.

-Side Note-

Me and a couple of my friends just recently started playing again. We played from Base1 through Neo Genesis and quit, and just recently started playing again during HS Unleashed, so I don't have a billion cards like rare candy or azelf lying around (yet), and it's also the reason we're just playing unlimited for the time being until we actually have enough cards to play the rotation.

I'm definately seeing a slight problem with this unlimited setup: other energy removals. So far no one I play uses Super Energy Removal, but their regular energy removal is enough to set me back pretty hard as most of my energies are double energy. I didn't lose, but it was a long battle every battle (no time limit). I would get down to 3 to 10 cards left in my deck before I won mainly because I was having to use 2 double rainbow or 2 DCE per gyarados due to my opponents having 1-3 Energy Removal in their decks.

Though unlimited has its obvious problems, I still find it challenging to think of ways around those problems. I think the best solution for my deck is to get Floatzel GL Lv.X in there somehow (which I have now). maybe taking Dusknoir out if need be. I'd have to buy the 1-1 Floatzel, but it's really energy starving my other 1-2 Gyarados when I have no way to get non-basic energies out of the discard pile except by using Floatzel GL Lv.X.

Maybe take 1-1-1 dusknoir out and replace it with 1-1-1 Feraligatr Prime (which i have 2 of)? and then do the 12 Water energy idea and throw my 1 fisherman trainer in there? If I do that, should I take 1-1-1 tyranitar and the 2 dark energy out (Though I do like the 100 damage possibility and psychic counter)? Thoughts?

If you can get your hands on it, Typhlosion Prime + Heatran LV.X outclasses HGSS Gyarados as an energy disruptor. Combined with some other excellent fire energy support like Infernape SF and Stark Mountain, you could efficiently hit hard and disrupt energy. You also should max out your Recycle Energy to ensure successful Super Energy Removals.

As good of an idea as that sounds, I don't have any of those cards except the stark mountain, lol and I think it's nearly the same idea just different pokemon type. It is along the same lines of perfection I'm trying to reach.

This is another idea that I'm currently dry-running and playing against my fiance (she doesn't really play, but it gives me an idea of consistency):

3-3 Gyarados HGSS
1-1-1 Feraligatr Prime
1-1 Floatzel GL Lv.X
1-1-1 Dusknoir DP
1-1 Starmie

16 Pokemon

4 Celio's Network
4 Super Energy Removal
4 Energy Removal
2 Gust of Wind
2 Super Scoop Up
2 Interviewer's Questions