• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Standard Gyarados GX Decklist (Feedback pls)

Haarry

Aspiring Trainer
So I pulled a RR gyarados GX in PTCGO from my prerelease code cards and felt like I should make a gyarados deck. It's actually been performing quite well. The main strategy is to build up a benched magikarp with 4 energy turn 1 (Kiawe) then attach the 5th and evolve. If possible I'd get a lusamine and a brooklet hill in the discard pile, then lusamine back a stadium and lusamine and keep going like this to deal a consistent 200 damage. The DCEs are there to help set up another gyarados if the main one gets K.O'd

##Pokémon - 13

* 2 Tapu Lele-GX GRI 60 Obvious reasons
* 4 Magikarp CIN 17 Evolving
* 3 Gyarados-GX CIN 112 Main attacker
* 2 Remoraid BKT 32 Evolving
* 2 Octillery BKT 33 Draw support

##Trainer Cards - 31

* 3 Lusamine CIN 96 Bring back discarded stadiums and loop through lusamines
* 4 Brooklet Hill GRI 120 Get extra magikarp / remoraid to the bench and also be discarded for 200 damage
* 3 Choice Band GRI 121 Bring damage up to 230 for stage 1 GXs with 210 hp
* 2 Guzma BUS 115 Bring in the powered up benched gyarados / switch opponent's active
* 2 Brigette BKT 134 Not certain about this as I aim for turn 1 Kiawe. not brigette
* 2 Field Blower GRI 163 Get rid of opponents tools
* 2 Kiawe BUS 116 Get 4 energy turn 1
* 3 N FCO 105 Draw support / disruption
* 2 Float Stone BKT 137 Retreat gyarados' or other pokemon that are stuck in the active
* 4 Ultra Ball FCO 113 Get gyarados or Leles
* 4 Professor Sycamore PHF 101 Draw support

##Energy - 16

* 8 Water Energy EVO 93 Needed for all attacks
* 5 Fire Energy XYEnergy 4 So that I can use kiawe
* 3 Double Colorless Energy SUM 136 Power up secondary gyarados'

Total Cards - 60

I am considering adding cards such as the manaphy from shining legends to get rid of damage and also manaphy EX to get free retreat on my gyarados'.

Before anything else -1 Kiawe and -1 Bridgette. People run 1 Bridgette all the time now, because on the off chance that it's prized you just Wonder Tag for a Sycamore and draw all the goodies anyway. This will help you make space and give you more options throughout the game, not just dead cards later on. Next forget the Manaphy from Shining Legends and be wary of Manaphy EX; the one from Shining Legends is not strong enough for this deck, and Manaphy EX is the perfect target for Guzma, and can honestly lose you the game very easily.

My suggestions:
-1 Kiawe
-1 Bridgette
-1 Water Energy/-1 Some Trainer
-4 Magikarp CIN
+4 Magikarp Evolutions
+1 Shining Celebi
+2 Body Building Dumbells

This way you can abuse Magikarp's Flail attack that does 10x all the damage counters on you, in this case up to 270 for 1 Water.
Otherwise, I'd say drop the Kiawe setup and pair it with either Alolan Ninetales or Zoroark. I believe Gyrados is almost playable, it'll just take some time to figure it out. GL!

Before anything else -1 Kiawe and -1 Bridgette. People run 1 Bridgette all the time now, because on the off chance that it's prized you just Wonder Tag for a Sycamore and draw all the goodies anyway. This will help you make space and give you more options throughout the game, not just dead cards later on. Next forget the Manaphy from Shining Legends and be wary of Manaphy EX; the one from Shining Legends is not strong enough for this deck, and Manaphy EX is the perfect target for Guzma, and can honestly lose you the game very easily.

My suggestions:
-1 Kiawe
-1 Bridgette
-1 Water Energy/-1 Some Trainer
-4 Magikarp CIN
+4 Magikarp Evolutions
+1 Shining Celebi
+2 Body Building Dumbells

This way you can abuse Magikarp's Flail attack that does 10x all the damage counters on you, in this case up to 270 for 1 Water.
Otherwise, I'd say drop the Kiawe setup and pair it with either Alolan Ninetales or Zoroark. I believe Gyrados is almost playable, it'll just take some time to figure it out. GL!

That celebi and magikarp combo is a great call, thanks for that!

The only reason I was considering manaphy-EX is because of gyarados with only 1 energy being stranded in the active slot without a float stone, but adding that magikarp / celebi line should give it a chance to survive.

The only advantage I saw with the CIN magikarp is it's ability so I can't get bench sniped as easily, and the attack letting me evolve up was kinda neat.

The Gyarados GX deck I use has the following Pokemon:
4X Gyarados GX
4X Magikarp EVO
1X Shining Celebi
1X Oranguru
3X Tapu Lele GX (You can get away with 2)

The Gyarados GX deck I use has the following Pokemon:
4X Gyarados GX
4X Magikarp EVO
1X Shining Celebi
1X Oranguru
3X Tapu Lele GX (You can get away with 2)

I have tried both the flail magikarp / celebi and the kiawe with the new magikarp and I personally prefer the new magikarp. I never really found myself taking enough damage for flail to be useful. Another advantage is that I can get a magikarp set by turn 2, then if I can't get a gyarados I can just use magikarps attack to evolve, and the ability is pretty nice too.

I have tried both the flail magikarp / celebi and the kiawe with the new magikarp and I personally prefer the new magikarp. I never really found myself taking enough damage for flail to be useful. Another advantage is that I can get a magikarp set by turn 2, then if I can't get a gyarados I can just use magikarps attack to evolve, and the ability is pretty nice too.
Yeah, I think your right about using the new Magikarp. I think now it would be more useful since you can instantly protect yourself from the new Latios, or any other spread-damage hitter

Yeah, I think your right about using the new Magikarp. I think now it would be more useful since you can instantly protect yourself from the new Latios, or any other spread-damage hitter

Especially with buzzwole being a major threat at the moment.

I suggest running some Water Toolbox Pokémon to help for the low health of Magikarp, such as Manaphy, Articuno, or Glaceon. All of these cards help in a certain way.
98053_200w.jpg
111538_200w.jpg
51--A-pGuOL._SL500_AC_SS350_.jpg

Play the new Karp. Buzzwole, Latios, Espeon-GX, etc. are seeing play, and you can't afford to give free prizes over a gimmick. Articuno rotated, Glaceon is, eh. Manaphy EX is good, the baby Manaphy is really good if you're going for a Primal Groudon ripoff.

Back