• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Standard Gyarados AOR / Shedinja: Struggling for Consistency

GolurkChamp2597

Long Time Champion
With the AOR Gyarados being a really fun rogue deck to bring to LCs, I've always loved a deck that focuses on a "teammates" engine. Basically I net-decked Darkintegral's decklist, and added my own tweaks. However, I have struggled to find my Magma Bases, Magikarp, search cards, etc. Any tips on how to make this deck consistent at all?

Pokémon:
  • 4 Magikarp AOR
  • 3 Gyarados AOR
  • 2 Deoxys ROS
  • 1 Mr. Mime AOR
  • 2 Nincada ROS
  • 2 Shedinja ROS
Trainers/Supporters/Stadiums:
  • 3 Level Ball
  • 1 Dive Ball
  • 3 Roller Skates
  • 2 Trainers Mail
  • 3 VS Seeker
  • 4 Tierno
  • 2 Teammates
  • 2 Lysandre
  • 1 Skyla
  • 4 Magmas Secret Base
Energy:
  • 4 DCE
  • 6 Water Energy
Strategy:

This is just a skeleton, any additions or changes?

In this kind of deck, I think it would be best to get rid of the Deoxys, Roller Skates, and Tiernos. To make the deck more consistent you want to have more draw support. things you could change:

-3 Tierno (is okay to have one if you want to have a similar hand, but more cards)
-3 Roller Skates
-2 Deoxys

+3-4 Sycamore
+3 Shauna

1-2 extra spots

I like the idea of adding Shedinja. I have ran this before, and I really like this idea.

****** Pokémon Trading Card Game Deck List ******

Pokémon - 10

2 Shaymin-EX ROS 77
1 Mr. Mime BKT 97
4 Magikarp AOR 19
3 Gyarados AOR 21

Trainer Cards - 40

1 Super Rod BKT 149
4 Buddy-Buddy Rescue BKT 135
3 Team Magma's Secret Base DCR 32
1 Giovanni's Scheme BKT 162
1 Teammates PRC 160
3 Professor Sycamore XY 122
1 Skyla BCR 149
2 Lysandre FLF 104
4 VS Seeker ROS 110
4 Acro Bike PRC 122
2 Battle Compressor Team Flare Gear PHF 92
4 Dive Ball PRC 125
3 Level Ball AOR 76
4 Muscle Band XY 121
3 Ultra Ball ROS 93

Energy - 10

4 Double Colorless Energy PHF 111
6 Water Energy HS 117

Total Cards - 60

****** Deck List Generated by Pokémon TCG Online www.pokemon.com/TCGO ******

This is my list. Trust me, Muscle Band is needed, as it adds damage needed with only 2 Magikarp benched.

Last edited by a moderator:
****** Pokémon Trading Card Game Deck List ******

Pokémon - 10

2 Shaymin-EX ROS 77
1 Mr. Mime BKT 97
4 Magikarp AOR 19
3 Gyarados AOR 21

Trainer Cards - 40

1 Super Rod BKT 149
4 Buddy-Buddy Rescue BKT 135
3 Team Magma's Secret Base DCR 32
1 Giovanni's Scheme BKT 162
1 Teammates PRC 160
3 Professor Sycamore XY 122
1 Skyla BCR 149
2 Lysandre FLF 104
4 VS Seeker ROS 110
4 Acro Bike PRC 122
2 Battle Compressor Team Flare Gear PHF 92
4 Dive Ball PRC 125
3 Level Ball AOR 76
4 Muscle Band XY 121
3 Ultra Ball ROS 93

Energy - 10

4 Double Colorless Energy PHF 111
6 Water Energy HS 117

Total Cards - 60

****** Deck List Generated by Pokémon TCG Online www.pokemon.com/TCGO ******

this is my list trust me muscle band is needed as it adds damage needed with only 2 magikarp benched
Where did you get this list from. Also, why not add shedinja and run 4 Team Magma's Secret Base. Why battle compressor? Only 5 draw cards? I thought we wanted to make his deck more consistent rather than less draw. Giovanni's Scheme I also feel is not needed. I think only 1 Shaymin is fine because right now, a shaymin start will happen about 1/3 of the time.

Where did you get this list from. Also, why not add shedinja and run 4 Team Magma's Secret Base. Why battle compressor? Only 5 draw cards? I thought we wanted to make his deck more consistent rather than less draw. Giovanni's Scheme I also feel is not needed. I think only 1 Shaymin is fine because right now, a shaymin start will happen about 1/3 of the time.
this is my list it is very consistent from my testing from when the card released battle compressor gets you your pokemon you need when mixed with buddy buddy rescue and supporters when you need em with the vs seekers only had room for three magma base 4 would be good but you really only need it in the beginning from my experience

Why play buddy buddy and battle compressor together when you could play level ball, dive ball, and ultra ball with sacred ash and then your opponent won't get pokemon too. Also more supporters would be better than using more VS seeker to get it. I feel that would be more consistent. If you could fit it, Octillery or Shaymin can help get out of bad situations and from my experience, I normally have small hand sizes.

Last edited:
Thanks for the suggestion guys! Sycamore and Shauna could make it more consistent, and I tossed in extra search cards/1 sacred ash to get all my Karps back. Octillert would be a better inclusion, as shaymin is more of a 1 trick pony.

You say you want the list to be more consistent, but you talk about adding Shedinja and taking out a Shaymin. Shaymin helps consistency, and especially speed, tremendously, and is far superior to Octillery in the early game. Shedinja is completely unnecessary and will make you even more vulnerable to bats than you already are, and including a *third* stage one line only decreases consistency that much more. Giovanni's Scheme is only usually used for the damage boost to help you KO Megas that would otherwise be out of your reach. The draw is a last resort. A fourth base would definitely increase consistency, but since it is only needed at the start of the game, I can understand only running three.

The issue is that Gyarados is already doing 250 damage with 3 Karps and 2 muscle bands. The deck works to where I don't need all of them down, because it is fast than most megas, except maybe Ray. 4 bases increase consistency, mainly cuz that's my issue is finding bases and all the pokes. In addition, Shedinja added as a secondary attacker is actually quite a clutch play. I have saved games because of Shedinja, namely against an Yveltal when we both got stuck. Finally, I threw in Hex Maniac to prevent bat damage. I beat toad bats using only that as my supporter.

You say you want the list to be more consistent, but you talk about adding Shedinja and taking out a Shaymin. Shaymin helps consistency, and especially speed, tremendously, and is far superior to Octillery in the early game. Shedinja is completely unnecessary and will make you even more vulnerable to bats than you already are, and including a *third* stage one line only decreases consistency that much more. Giovanni's Scheme is only usually used for the damage boost to help you KO Megas that would otherwise be out of your reach. The draw is a last resort. A fourth base would definitely increase consistency, but since it is only needed at the start of the game, I can understand only running three.
I mean Shaymin could be the start at least 1/3 of the time so dropping one and adding Shedinja would work because it is another basic so then later the shaymin can come back to the deck. I also never mentioned anything about octillery other than asking about the choice between that and shaymin. Shaymin is still better, but in this deck why not play both. Shaymin is good ,but you have low hand sizes most of the game so maybe 1 1/1 line and 1 shaymin would be best.

Personally, I prefer Octillery just because it's cheaper and it's not super Lysandre bait. Sure, people will pull it up to stall, but it's not a 2 prize loss. In addition, shaymin and gyarados share the lightning weakness. I'm not fully against shaymin. In fact, I run 2 in Turbo blaze Ray (deck list coming soon) but I don't find a need for a 6 card hand in a deck that runs cards only when they are needed, if that makes sense

I would suggest trying both Flareon or Milotic (PRC) as support Pokemon in this deck. Flareon lets you use Blacksmith to power up a Gyarados in one turn and circumvent (as well as OHKO) Aegislash-EX. Milotic lets you get any card you want from the discard when you play it from your hand, which can help you recycle DCEs or...well, anything else.

If you decide to go with Flareon, you should make room for 2 Battle Compressor and a Blacksmith, to get things into the discard pile. This can include a copy of Teammates, for you to VS Seeker out when you need it. If you do, you might want to consider a 2-2 line of Vespiquen as a backup attacker.

Have you made edits to your deck since the OP? If so, would you mind updating? I can offer some more advice if you do.

Thanks for the advice! Honestly, I really haven't touched this deck in a while, since I am having more fun with other decks. I was debating adding that, but losing resources in my hand/deck is devastating. I'm addition, the Gyarados takes a lot of different tools, and I've never really had an easy time fitting any kind of discard engine in it. Any other suggestions would be welcome :)

Back