Discussion Greninja BREAK 2018

PokemonLover17

Aspiring Trainer
Hey guys, this is my first post and i need some help with a deck...
i want to play greninja BREAK at an upcoming league cup and get my points up...
this is my first attempt at a greninja break deck and i just wanted to know what a basic outline for this deck was after the rotation. Thanks!

Here is my Greninja deck list that I have had a lot of success with at league cups and on PTCGO. One thing to consider when playing Greninja is whether you want to use a Talonflame archetype or Starmie archetype. Personally I have had more success with Talonflame, because I like its use as a search engine and a wall to buy yourself more time. Talonflame can also provide you a card to discard, which you will be doing a lot of with 4 Ultra Balls in the deck. Even if you choose not to try this deck, I recommend you at least try to use similar cards and quantities. Hope this helps, good luck!

Greninja BREAK/Talonflame Deck List:

Pokémon: 19
3 Froakie- BREAKPoint
4 Frogadier- BREAKPoint
4 Greninja- BREAKPoint
4 Greninja BREAK- BREAKPoint
4 Talonflame- Steam Siege

Trainers: 31
3 Choice Band- Guardians Rising
2 Field Blower- Guardians Rising
2 Max Potion- Guardians Rising
4 N- Fates Collide
4 Professor Sycamore- BREAKPoint
2 Rescue Stretcher- Guardians Rising
4 Ultra Ball- Sun and Moon
3 Guzma- Burning Shadows
1 Super Rod- BREAKthrough
2 Fisherman- BREAKthrough
1 Professor's Letter- BREAKthrough
3 Evosoda- Generations

Energy: 10
2 Splash energy- BREAKPoint
8 Water Energy- All Sets

Here is my Greninja deck list that I have had a lot of success with at league cups and on PTCGO. One thing to consider when playing Greninja is whether you want to use a Talonflame archetype or Starmie archetype. Personally I have had more success with Talonflame, because I like its use as a search engine and a wall to buy yourself more time. Talonflame can also provide you a card to discard, which you will be doing a lot of with 4 Ultra Balls in the deck. Even if you choose not to try this deck, I recommend you at least try to use similar cards and quantities. Hope this helps, good luck!

Greninja BREAK/Talonflame Deck List:

Pokémon: 19
3 Froakie- BREAKPoint
4 Frogadier- BREAKPoint
4 Greninja- BREAKPoint
4 Greninja BREAK- BREAKPoint
4 Talonflame- Steam Siege

Trainers: 31
3 Choice Band- Guardians Rising
2 Field Blower- Guardians Rising
2 Max Potion- Guardians Rising
4 N- Fates Collide
4 Professor Sycamore- BREAKPoint
2 Rescue Stretcher- Guardians Rising
4 Ultra Ball- Sun and Moon
3 Guzma- Burning Shadows
1 Super Rod- BREAKthrough
2 Fisherman- BREAKthrough
1 Professor's Letter- BREAKthrough
3 Evosoda- Generations

Energy: 10
2 Splash energy- BREAKPoint
8 Water Energy- All Sets
This is great! thank you! the only problem is that the league cup is in a week and I will have to go find all those talonflame.. I'm currently at zero. also I only have half the greninja breaks. so I will have to go looking out for those... ill use this as a guideline for my deck though, So thank you for your time!

You lose to giratina promo, find a new deck
I don't have time before my next tournament to go find a new deck so unfortunately I'm stuck with this for now. I don't plan to have this as my primary standard deck though, eventually I plan to build metagross GX, so don't worry.

It's been a while since I've played greninja but here goes:
1) In greninja Consistency is king. make sure your list is as consistent as possible, even if it means you can't tech against a matchup. When greninja sets up it wins.
2)Another tech floating around is max potion that is a great card in Greninja as you often move the energy to your hand (no discard)
3) 1 card in Greninja that fits (especially in the starmie version) is brooklet hill (searches out froakie)
Hope this helps!

Just gonna put this out here @Trainer Josh 's list is VERY similar to mine besides the fact that I use 1 Starmie and 1 Staryu instead of Talonflame and 2 Lillie - 1 Guzma
and some other random techs and extra counts of certain cards, so in other words I agree with it being one of the BEST lists for post rotation except Staryu-Starmie is AMAZING because in theory you have a near infinite source of finding energy with it wich makes it amazing for greninja breaks abbility!

P.S. If it helps heres a competitive players list I found elsewhere!

• Pokémon (16)
  • 1x Tapu Lele GX
  • 4x Froakie
  • 4x Frogadier
  • 4x Greninja
  • 3x Greninja BREAK

Trainer (25)
  • 3x Evosoda
  • 2x Field Blower
  • 1x Rescue Stretcher
  • 1x Super Rod
  • 4x Ultra Ball
  • 2x Brooklet Hill
  • 1x Lillie
  • 4x N
  • 4x Professor Sycamore
  • 1x Skyla
  • 2x Choice Band

Energy (9)
  • 3x Splash Energy
  • 6x Water Energy

It's been a while since I've played greninja but here goes:
1) In greninja Consistency is king. make sure your list is as consistent as possible, even if it means you can't tech against a matchup. When greninja sets up it wins.
2)Another tech floating around is max potion that is a great card in Greninja as you often move the energy to your hand (no discard)
3) 1 card in Greninja that fits (especially in the starmie version) is brooklet hill (searches out froakie)
Hope this helps!
Thank you!

This is the list I would have the most likely chance of completing before the league cup. Thank you for the imput.

You lose to giratina promo, find a new deck
Nobody plays Giratina Promo past roation, so no don't just "find a new deck". Greninja is not popular enough nor good enough to justify running Giratina in any deck, also because Giratina only counters Zoroark and Greninja. See countering a card like Garbodor is different because Field Blower is literally useful against every other deck in the meta as well, something Giratina definitely doesn't do. To be honest, I haven't versed a single person on PTCGO or at my local tournament who plays Giratina, and I don't expect that to change anytime soon.

I'm going to Hartford this weekend and will be teching in giratina because I know how dangerously good that card is. But if you are at a smaller tournament I wouldn't worry about it

I'm going to Hartford this weekend and will be teching in giratina because I know how dangerously good that card is. But if you are at a smaller tournament I wouldn't worry about it
Great enjoy having a dead card in deck 19/20 games

Last edited:

My experiences with the deck have been all over the place. Some nights the same build does really well and then awful the next. I've been playing Starmie because I literally make myself lose more when using Talonflame. In other words I either over predict grabbing cards would be helpful like the following turn or under predict and just overlook certain things, like forgetting a draw supporter or something and just sitting there the next turn. I definitely enjoy Greninja when it works but I guess my question would be when using Talonflame what should I actually be getting or maybe even thinking.

Aanyone who thinks that you can't play it because of tina promo I have a easy solution it's called 2-1 / 2-2 Alolan Muk.

Lol thanks but that 1/20 game will be an auto win
For starters, it's not even an auto win lol. I have seen plenty of good Greninja players overcome Giratina even in a two out of three match format. Secondly, you will see it a lot less than even 1/20, probably closer to like 1/50 considering I have played a lot in this new format and haven't even faced it yet.

Back