Grass/Fighting Deck Help (Details Inside)

Asmer

Keep the High Tide on the Flipside
So... I understand that competitive/semi-competitive decks typically do not focus solely on picking two types and "womboing" it. That said, to be perfectly honest... I really like the color meshing of Grass and Fighting Energy together. I was wondering if anyone could give me some ideas that would use Pokemon that would give me the excuse to use both types of Energy in the same deck (It does not have to be "competitive", but more fluent ideas are always a priority.). I would greatly appreciate it as it would give me something new to do (and will post the eventual list in the Deck Garage; I will, of course, work with you guys and your ideas because that is what I love to do!). Thank you!

Any Dragon Type Flygon will actually use Grass and Fighting as its natural Energy cost, so that could be worthwhile looking into. An Expanded and Standard print have interesting abilities that could be useful, while the other Standard print provides some decent Energy accelerator/healing potential if you'd like to try that route. :3

Any Dragon Type Flygon will actually use Grass and Fighting as its natural Energy cost, so that could be worthwhile looking into. An Expanded and Standard print have interesting abilities that could be useful, while the other Standard print provides some decent Energy accelerator/healing potential if you'd like to try that route. :3
I COMPLETELY forgot about Flygon! That's perfect!
Plus, Double Dragon Energy has a beautiful color as well! ^^ if I could get the startings of an Expanded Deck with it, I would greatly appreciate it. I plan on picking up cards tomorrow since I am headed to a card shop then.

Accelgor (not always)/Flygon BCR / Dusknoir BCR has been a common archetype in the past, although has difficulty holding up in today's format. Meowistic FLF could be used as a substitute, although that will require three energy if you plan on using Flygon as an attacker.

If you are planning on using Flygon as the attacker, it would be ideal to add some ways to counter things like Aegislash (i.e. Silent Lab) that will stall against Special Energy. It may also be optimal to add some Milotic PRC and/or FFI to retrieve Special Energy/power up quickly. Another route could be trying out Altaria DRE, as you could boost your Flygon's attacks a bit further to guarantee 2-hit KOS, or even 1-hit KOs later on.

I'd also recommend adding a single copy of Smeargle Breakthrough and perhaps some EXP Shares if you feel Muscle Band is not necessary, just for further stability.

I like the idea of Milotic for sure. Is FFI acceptable in something like Expanded? I will be new to that format specifically and I am not sure how much the extra loss of a Prize Card will be. That said, I will most likely use Flygon as an attacker. I assume BCR is still the best one?

I have the Smeargle, so that will go in. EXP Share sounds excellent, so I will pick those up. Altaria may also be an option, since I can technically (technically) use it as a second attacker and it really does give a good amount of boost. It would also allow me to run EXP Share over Muscle Band (may still tech 1, however). Though, thinking on it, Silent Lab may hurt this kind of route...(EDIT: Never mind. Forgot Silent Lab only effects basics lol.)

I'll think on it now as you answer the above questions (please :3). Thank you so much for the help bbninjas!

Last edited:
I like the idea of Milotic for sure. Is FFI acceptable in something like Expanded? I will be new to that format specifically and I am not sure how much the extra loss of a Prize Card will be. That said, I will most likely use Flygon as an attacker. I assume BCR is still the best one?
Expanded includes FFI, and includes all those listed here (scroll down). Of all Flygon, the BCR print is probably the best, however a single copy of Flygon PRC or Flygon FUF wouldn't hurt for the disruption/energy acceleration.

I have the Smeargle, so that will go in. EXP Share sounds excellent, so I will pick those up. Altaria may also be an option, since I can technically (technically) use it as a second attacker and it really does give a good amount of boost. It would also allow me to run EXP Share over Muscle Band (may still tech 1, however). Though, thinking on it, Silent Lab may hurt this kind of route...
Silent Lab actually only affects Basic Pokemon Abilities. This means that it doesn't affect your Altaria and your Flygon! It does affect any Shaymin-EX or Jirachi-EX you may choose to run, however, but as the former is quite expensive while the latter is somewhat limited, you may not include any copies of either in your deck.

I'll think on it now as you answer the above questions (please :3). Thank you so much for the help bbninjas!
I am glad to help! :)

Expanded includes FFI, and includes all those listed here (scroll down). Of all Flygon, the BCR print is probably the best, however a single copy of Flygon PRC or Flygon FUF wouldn't hurt for the disruption/energy acceleration.
Was actually referring more to the fact that I lose Milotic to KO (realized she's from FLF, though, so my fault for the confusion!). Is that worth it in a format that seems to be faster than Standard?

Silent Lab actually only affects Basic Pokemon Abilities. This means that it doesn't affect your Altaria and your Flygon! It does affect any Shaymin-EX or Jirachi-EX you may choose to run, however, but as the former is quite expensive while the latter is somewhat limited, you may not include any copies of either in your deck.
I realized that after I typed it! xD I can derp pretty hard sometimes. Both are out of my price range for now, but I will eventually add in at least Jirachi EX.

I am glad to help! :)
Woo! ^^
So, I made a basic skeleton so far. It is not finished because I am still typing/thinking, but I wanted to run the general basis by you before I continue.
Here is what I have so far:

Pokemon:
  • 4 Trapinch (PRC 82)
  • 3 Vibrava (PRC 109)
  • 3 Flygon (BCR 99)
  • 2 Swablu (DRX 104)
  • 2 Altaria (DRX 84)
  • 1 Feebas (PRC 43)
  • 1 Milotic (FLF 23)
  • 1 Smeargle (BRK 123)

Supporter/Item/Stadium:
  • 4 Professor Juniper
  • 2 N
  • 1 Lysandre
  • 1 Colress
  • 4 VS Seeker
  • 4 Ultra Ball
  • 3 EXP Share
  • 1 Professor's Letter
  • 1 Super Rod
  • 2 Silent Lab

Energy:
  • 4 Double Dragon Energy
  • 5 Fighting Energy
  • 3 Grass Energy

Was actually referring more to the fact that I lose Milotic to KO (realized she's from FLF, though, so my fault for the confusion!). Is that worth it in a format that seems to be faster than Standard?
Your deck's main issue will be having a sustainable energy rate, so Milotic should help in this. Milotic is particularly useful versing decks that use EXs primarily, as you technically should win the prize trade if you can stream Flygon.
Pokemon: 17
  • 4 Trapinch (PRC 82)
  • 3 Vibrava (PRC 109)
  • 3 Flygon (BCR 99)
  • 2 Swablu (DRX 104)
  • 2 Altaria (DRX 84)
  • 1 Feebas (PRC 43)
  • 1 Milotic (FLF 23)
  • 1 Smeargle (BRK 123)

Supporter/Item/Stadium: 23
  • 4 Professor Juniper
  • 2 N
  • 1 Lysandre
  • 1 Colress
  • 4 VS Seeker
  • 4 Ultra Ball
  • 3 EXP Share
  • 1 Professor's Letter
  • 1 Super Rod
  • 2 Silent Lab

Energy: 12
  • 4 Double Dragon Energy
  • 5 Fighting Energy
  • 3 Grass Energy
Nice skeleton! It looks like you've got 8 slots still to go, while you have some cards that could probably be removed, so I'll make my suggestions here:

-2 Fighting Energy (Currently you've got 12 Energy, which is probably overkill. I recommend adding a few more Super Rod in place, while simultaneously leaving a a spots open for another tech.)
-2 Grass Energy (^)
-1 Ultra Ball (I've got a better replacement in mind!)
-1 Trapinch (I personally would try an extra Super Rod in place of this, but with Item Lock prevelant in Standard, four Trapinch may be better.)

+1 Double Colourless Energy (I think having one on hand could be nice to not waste two DDE; however you cannot discard it for your attack, so it could be burdening and thus better to run a [F] energy instead).
+3 Level Ball (These are pretty much vital in running a Stage 2 deck for consistency - even with 3 Ultra Ball!)
+3 Trainer's Mail (These should add a bit of extra speed to your deck, and will be helpful in drawing the items you need to set up.)
+ 1 Wally (A nice clutch card)
+2 Super Rod (Great support)
+1 Rare Candy (Just in case you need a bit of speed boost.)
+1 Computer Search (Amazing card in Expanded, if you can get a hold of one!)
+2 Unown or +1-1 Altaria (Unown is a nice draw card, especially with Super Rod, however your Silent Lab could get in the way. Unfortunately you are going to really want the Lab, as it counters both Keldeo-EX and Aegislash-EX that would otherwise counter you. In contrast, an extra Altaria would be nice as you can boost up to 60 damage for a

I'm in LOVE with this thing already! I have most of it already as well, so this should be easy for me to finish tomorrow! With the changes...

Pokemon:
  • 3 Trapinch (PRC 82)
  • 3 Vibrava (PRC 109)
  • 3 Flygon (BCR 99)
  • 2 Swablu (DRX 104)
  • 2 Altaria (DRX 84)
  • 2 Unown (AOR 30)
  • 1 Feebas (PRC 43)
  • 1 Milotic (FLF 23)
  • 1 Smeargle (BRK 123)

Supporter/Item/Stadium:
  • 4 Professor Juniper
  • 2 N
  • 1 Lysandre
  • 1 Colress
  • 1 Wally
  • 4 VS Seeker
  • 3 Trainers' Mail
  • 3 Ultra Ball
  • 3 Level Ball
  • 3 EXP Share
  • 3 Super Rod
  • 1 Professor's Letter
  • 1 Rare Candy
  • 1 Computer Search / Scramble Switch (ACE SPEC) (Seems like a good replacement since I need to conserve Energy Anyway.)
  • 2 Silent Lab

Energy:
  • 4 Double Dragon Energy
  • 1 Double Colorless Energy
  • 3 Fighting Energy
  • 1 Grass Energy

I am very excited for this! Thank you so much! After I test it for a while, I will post the build/changes/etc. in the Deck Garage. Should be a fun mini-article for me to write.

Thank you again bbninjas!

Keep in mind that the format is very much a 1-hit KO format (and most can hit above 140), meaning Scramble Switch will have significantly less value in comparison to Computer Switch. Also feel free to message me a link to the deck in the Deck Garage once you post it, so I see it. Anyways, good luck with testing and enjoy!

Keep in mind that the format is very much a 1-hit KO format (and most can hit above 140), meaning Scramble Switch will have significantly less value in comparison to Computer Switch. Also feel free to message me a link to the deck in the Deck Garage once you post it, so I see it. Anyways, good luck with testing and enjoy!

True. Will try to pick up a Comp Search, then. Also, will do! Thank you very much! I am sure I will enjoy testing this one!

Back