Granbull/Weavile???

Knight_of_Ni

Aspiring Trainer
Hello everybody! I've been testing granbull lately and I really like the deck, but I feel like decks, such as malamar, could pose a problem. Has anybody considered adding a 1-1 weavile(evil admonition) line into granbull to help with matchups like this? Weavile could also help with the mirror match, by hitting for 130 (after resistance) if your opponent has 3 abilities in play. I am currently testing the deck with the FDY unit energy. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks in advance!

Everything you mentioned Granbull can already one shot. Doesn’t seem like an effective addition

Hello everybody! I've been testing granbull lately and I really like the deck, but I feel like decks, such as malamar, could pose a problem.

Explain, please. I've been testing a few lists for Granbull, and none have a serious problem with Malamar decks. So, let me know what I'm missing. ;)

i feel under muk, you can find guzma and hit the muk, so that you can continue doing granbull business. it might also be good aganst deci decks with healing.

i feel under muk, you can find guzma and hit the muk, so that you can continue doing granbull business. it might also be good aganst deci decks with healing.

Yes, you can try to use Guzma to deal with Alolan Muk. Preferably by KOing an Alolan Grimer or Ditto {*} before it Evolves. What does that have to do with the Malamar mentioned in the thread's opening post, however?

i guess it works the same way, because i feel the matchup with malamar, you win by targetting malamars without spell tag and only in the end you go for the giratina, if you try to attack giratina's with spell tags you will lose in the long last prize trade. and finding a guzma and attacking while depleting your hand can be hard in granbull. but yeah i guess this tech would be more for other matchups and not specifically to malamar.

btw, a weavile with dumbellls can tank one hit from the giratina, so it might be useful in that sense (altough a granbull with dumbells also tanks it).

After testing for a bit this Weavile on PTCGO I found that in almost every situation where I could play Weavile it would be unnecessary, and every other time it just clogged up my hand. As @CrownAxe said most matchups where Weavile would be useful Granbull already has a decent matchup against. Overall, I wouldn't play it.

the advantage of weaville:
  1. your opponent has abilities if you're in the mirror match
  2. an option when your opponent is playing disconnect luxio

i guess it works the same way, because i feel the matchup with malamar, you win by targetting malamars without spell tag and only in the end you go for the giratina, if you try to attack giratina's with spell tags you will lose in the long last prize trade. and finding a guzma and attacking while depleting your hand can be hard in granbull. but yeah i guess this tech would be more for other matchups and not specifically to malamar.

I'm not sure this is an accurate assessment.

First, remember there is more than one Malamar variant. Yes, I should have asked, "Which one?" Even if the versions with Pokémon-GX are no longer as good - and recent tournament results beg to differ - the damage counter placement from the combination of Giratina and Spell Tag takes time to build. If you're forced to crash into Spell Tag four times ASAP while your opponent manages to pull off Giratina's Ability three or more times, recognize that as luck. It isn't the same as a good Granbull build reliably and repeatedly emptying out its hand. Oh, and remember that Bodybuilding Dumbells works on Magcargo. ;)

I mean you can definitely play it with Unit Energy FDY, but that makes you susceptible to Faba and Ehammer, so I don't think it's that good.

Granbull can OHKO nearly everything in the meta, so there isn't that good of a reason to play Weavile imo, plus it creates more inconsistency.

Seems like an interesting idea to combat Zoroark/Decidueye, Gardevoir/Swampert, and (to a lesser degree) Metagross - decks that can tank hits from Granbull and heal, but can’t play around Evil Admonition.

In most other matchups, though, it seems purely outclassed as an attacker by Granbull, and if you’re evolving your Ditto into a Weavile over Magcargo, that just feels like a “feels-bad” play

Back