Discussion Granbull (LOT)

Mistadirtyziggy

Aspiring Trainer
So I have seen a lot of hype about the new Granbull from Lost Thunder, but honestly have a hard time seeing how it could really be all that strong given the downside of having to manage a no-card hand. Have any of you played with it or against it enough to speak on it? On reddit I've even seen people go so far as to say it'll be in the top 3 decks in the format, thought?

I've only seen it work when it's got multiple Magcargos and Orangurus on the bench but when it works it really works

I doubt it, It has the same advantages and disadvantages as Donphan, It could just be over hyped ATM, I've ran into this deck a few times and have yet to lose against it. It's probably people playing against it not being prepared for the deck itself.

Even still if you continuously run into it, just add a judge or 2 and cripple their strat, or if it comes to an epidemic run metagross/scizor and watch them concede one after another.

Given the position that the meta has taken at the moment, I think it has a good position against basic GX decks. I think Zoroark GX has the opportunity to come back now that it has better setup options. It might be a little harder and require a number of cards to stick in play.

Alolan Ninetales GX also means a greater number of Stage 2 decks will be present, whether they are good or not. So, Granbull is left dealing with a 210 hp GX and a myriad of other high hp stage 2 GXs.

Seems like a fun deck and has its merits, but I don't think its meta-defining.

So I have seen a lot of hype about the new Granbull from Lost Thunder, but honestly have a hard time seeing how it could really be all that strong given the downside of having to manage a no-card hand. Have any of you played with it or against it enough to speak on it? On reddit I've even seen people go so far as to say it'll be in the top 3 decks in the format, thought?

Was able to finally build it a few days ago. It is fun. It is important to remember that it is a GX-less deck which can OHKO most Basic Pokmon-GX (though it needs a Choice Band) and can use Shrine of Punishment to pseudo-OHKO a 200 HP Stage 1 Pokémon-GX... or larger, if the opponent is slow about getting rid of Shrine of Punishment. I'm not sure if it is top tier, but it is certainly competitive.

It totally can and will misfire, but in best two-of-three I think that it still falls within an acceptable range. As I am playing on the PTCGO, I don't know if I've gone on enough of a win streak to be facing tournament caliber players or not, but they've at least been bringing tournament caliber decks like Buzzwole/Lycanroc against me.

Having draw support (Oranguru) and the ability to pull a specific card (Magcargo) make this deck is pretty fun to play- You can also play a Slowking- that synergies well- and gives psychic typing as well. The deck is about sequencing and chaining- I think having the 2nd Oranguru is clutch- because your first instruct should be about getting more cards to keep building your board- and then a SmoothOver/Instruct to rid your hand of all unplayables. (2nd supporter, Stadium, or Energy- you might need that UltraBall to toss those)

Well it got top 8 at least at Brazil I would stick to the successful list but I doubt it's that easy to play.

The Brazil results show it definitely is a new force to be reckoned with (despite what I initially thought as well)

The only time I played against it, I guzma-d up a magcargo and they couldn't get it out of the active

That's a risk for every deck which runs Magcargo. ;)

Like I said, I've been running the deck myself and I think someone did that to me once. I mean, most players try it sooner or later, it is just I normally use my own Guzma, a Switch, or a Tate & Liza to get out of the Active position. Or my opponent KO's Magcargo because they can't win by just stranding it. So, it is a more effective tactic against Granbull, because the deck may be forced to discard and/or use up its answers early, but it isn't a "silver bullet" tactic that instantly, easily, and reliably puts the deck down.

If you weren't meaning it that way, my apologies! ^^'

That's a risk for every deck which runs Magcargo. ;)

Like I said, I've been running the deck myself and I think someone did that to me once. I mean, most players try it sooner or later, it is just I normally use my own Guzma, a Switch, or a Tate & Liza to get out of the Active position. Or my opponent KO's Magcargo because they can't win by just stranding it. So, it is a more effective tactic against Granbull, because the deck may be forced to discard and/or use up its answers early, but it isn't a "silver bullet" tactic that instantly, easily, and reliably puts the deck down.

If you weren't meaning it that way, my apologies! ^^'

I was just saying it could buy you a turn or two. I played it a bit yesterday. Did that once but that was because I started with an onix.

The deck is hard to beat, even if you try to aim for their magcargo/oranguru, the really smart players will find a way around it. I do like the zebstrika idea with Muk now a thing.

The deck is hard to beat, even if you try to aim for their magcargo/oranguru, the really smart players will find a way around it. I do like the zebstrika idea with Muk now a thing.

I'm really torn on that myself. Having a third Stage 1 to set up, and that will always trash your existing hand and draw four cards is a pretty desperate move for this deck. The typical play one tries to pull off is having two cards in hand and using Smooth Over + Instruct to get the ideal third card to help with your setup and/or clean out your hand. If it is safe to fill your Bench, you double up on Oranguru and Magcargo so that you can do it twice in a tun.

So far, if I see Ditto {*} I just try to OHKO it. If you've got the Energy and two Trainers in hand, even Snubbull can do it. Most decks aren't also running Alolan Grimer, you see. Even if Alolan Muk hits the field, it's only an issue when you cannot afford to Guzma it up on your next turn... which admittedly is not always easy given you're suddenly lacking in draw power to go with Smooth Over.

This deck definitely requires a lot of thought. I think the good zoroark gx players that can plan ahead and plan their walk through what is in their deck on the fly can dominate with it, but it can bite you when you discard resources you need a couple turns later.

Back