• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Gourgeist/LugiaEX (Updated!)

Carpey

Deck Experimenter
Plasma Pumpkins

Experience: Intermediate

Pokemon (14)
  • 4 Gourgeist (XY)
  • 4 Pumpkaboo (XY)
  • 3 LugiaEX (PLS)
  • 3 DeoxysEX (PLF)

Trainers (33)
  • 4 Professor Juniper
  • 2 N
  • 2 Colress
  • 2 Bicycle
  • 3 Skyla
  • 4 Ultra Ball
  • 2 Team Plasma Ball
  • 3 Colress Machine
  • 4 Hypnotoxic Laser
  • 2 Switch
  • 2 Enhanced Hammer
  • 2 Super Rod
  • 1 Dowsing Machine

Energy (13)
  • 6 Psychic
  • 4 Plasma Energy
  • 3 DCE

Strategy
So this deck is pretty much a suicide bombing mission, but you will be drawing more prize cards than the opponent. The first thing to do is try to see if your opponent is going to attack with an EX or non EX. If it's an EX, set up a Gourgeist for Spirit Scream and use a Band or a Life Dew and Laser for a 1HKO. and give the gourgeist a Life Dew if possible. If they go with a non-EX, set up a Giratina for Hex with a Band, Laserbank, and DeoxysEX boost for 160 damage, which is a sure OHKO unless there is some resistance, a hard charm, or status protection.use the same strategy as the first. If you don't have time to attach an extra psychic and you know you are going to be KO'd next turn, just use Eerie Voice, so that it is easier for LugiaEX to 1HKO later. You could use this method the whole time, but that won't work well if your opponent runs any potions or healing abilities.
The Band should only be used on Giratina if needed, so that you can save them for Gourgeist
DeoxysEX should stay on the bench unless absolutely necessary
One thing that could take this deck down is if your opponent has status protection and psychic resistance

I'm open to any suggestions you might have, and I don't think this deck is too expensive, so it should be easy to build!

RE: Gourgeist/Giratina

If within the NXD-on restriction, you could add 2 Giratina Lv. X, still lets you use attacks like Hex while providing a, mess with your opponents hand, pokebody and an attack that can do 30 damage to all of your opponents Pokemon... If knocked out, your opponent takes the usual 1 prize card... If you decide to make this change I suggest you take out trainers, while you're at it, you may be scarce for energy so you should consider adding some, around 5, again exchanging for trainers... In trainers, just take out the ones you think work less toward your intended deck play form...

Hope this helps :) ...

ale.543 said:
If within the NXD-on restriction, you could add 2 Giratina Lv. X, still lets you use attacks like Hex while providing a, mess with your opponents hand, pokebody and an attack that can do 30 damage to all of your opponents Pokemon... If knocked out, your opponent takes the usual 1 prize card... If you decide to make this change I suggest you take out trainers, while you're at it, you may be scarce for energy so you should consider adding some, around 5, again exchanging for trainers... In trainers, just take out the ones you think work less toward your intended deck play form...

Hope this helps :) ...

Giratina ex isn't in NXD-on, and the trainers are fine. I approve, actually.

FearThePegasus said:
The muscle bands do nothing to boost gourgeists attacks

The muscle band increases base damage of any attack by 20.

0+20=20 damage
After you put the damage counters on, that extra 20 gets a knockout

:)

Actually, that's incorrect. They have to actually do damage first. People asked about that with Cleffa and Pichu from HGSS and CoL, who didn't do damage, but still attacked, and the ruling was the same. Even so, you can't add damage to damage counters. They are entirely different things.

Otherwise alot of cards in this format would be EXTREMELY broken. And who wants that? (me!) Also, EXTREME overkill on energy. How about taking 2 out and replacing them with some Lugia EX's or maybe Deoxys EX. It would boost strength massively and allow for a better prize trade.

Actually, LugiaEX sounds like a great idea! After my gourgeist is knocked out, it would give lugia an easy 3 prizes on an ex.

Thanks for explaining how the muscle bands wouldn't work, that would've sucked to figure it out during a match.

GiratinaLV.X could be played in unlimited, but I don't think it would work with this deck, because (A)It only has 10 more HP which would be a waste of space (B)His attack spreads damage around, but this deck is based around focused damage

If you're playing Lugia EX then you may need to add another Colress Machine to power it up super fast. Not really sure what you'd take out though. Maybe a Psychic Energy. For instance, if an active Gorgeist gets knocked out, and you've got a benched Lugia EX with 2 Plasma Energy attached and in your hand there is a psychic energy and a Colress Machine. In which case you'd just promote Lugia active, attach Psychic and play the Colress Machine to attach 1 more energy and Plasma Gale for the knockout. Just a suggestion, hope this helps.

I made a lot of hard changes in the deck, mostly focusing on consistency and even faster prize trade, as well as keeping energy use in check. One of the biggest changes was taking out the Giratinas completely, as it was just a second attacker that relied on Lasers, and was harder to set up for a 1HKO. I also made sure that the deck was less reliant on effects that could easily be put out of play such as stadiums, tools, and abilities.

Carpey said:
Strategy
...but you will be drawing more prize cards than the opponent.
Not necessarily true if I either start 1HKOing your Geourgeist first and/or I run Lugia EX too. Even if you respond with your Lugia EX to KO my Poke (assume even an EX), I can respond with another Poké to 1HKO your Lugia EX. So, I may be up still by 1 prize.

Have you thought about simply using Gourgeist's first attack to spread twenty everywhere to set up KO's instead of his second? Lugia can do 120 damage unboosted, and when boosted by a Muscle Band and two Deoxys, you have 160. With a single Eerie Voice, you can set up all of the KOs instead of a single one as your main strategem instead of your secondary. Not to say Gourgeist isn't a good attacker on his own -- I actually have a Gourgeist deck myself -- but I think focusing more on Lugia than getting the second energy on Gourgeist is key in this deck.

Have you also thought about Shadow Triad to get the Plasma Energy back? Or maybe a Genesect EX to Red Signal EXs?

Pumpkaboo has an excellent attack can can actually "buy" you a turn or 2 too. In addition, when you can start with Eerie Voice early game, it can definitely alter the game dynamic since your opponent's Poké are well within Lugia EX's 1HKO range.

TuxedoBlack said:
Carpey said:
Strategy
...but you will be drawing more prize cards than the opponent.
Not necessarily true if I either start 1HKOing your Geourgeist first and/or I run Lugia EX too. Even if you respond with your Lugia EX to KO my Poke (assume even an EX), I can respond with another Poké to 1HKO your Lugia EX. So, I may be up still by 1 prize.

Hmm that is a problem, maybe I could add more switch and try to tank with Deoxys first turn?

And about the Eerie Voice thing, I just wasn't too comfortable doing that because of healing on the other team, but I could test it out. I used to have a couple Shadow Triad, but I wasn't sure if they would be used so I could try them, and definitely going to need those if I use Genesect (which sounds like a pretty good idea to me).

By the way, did you know that ND Bronzong has an Ability, Heal Block, that basically prevents players from healing any of his/her Poké... :D

^ You're right. I had totally forgotten about that. Thing is, it is a stage one. If you absolutely wanted to, then you could sacrifice a Gourgeist line for a 1/1 line of Bronzong.

Sounds cool, but I'm trying to stay away from relying on cards from NXD-BCR, plus having another ability to set up would lower the consistency. As for LugiaEX, I forgot to say that the Hammers were included specifically for that reason, though they work well with a lot of other popular decks too, so I decided they had to stay.

Fyi. I played my version of a Gourgeist deck this past weekend at a League Challenge. I beat RayBoar, Tool Drop and FairyBox decks. During my 4th game, I was matched up against a player running Yveltal. Consider your strategy carefully when you play against this deck that a) is quite popular and expected to be well represented at upcoming tournaments; b) has your Pumkins' weakness which makes it easy to 1HKO most of your primary Poké; and c) has energy attachment acceleration. IMHO, this will be your toughest match-up.

Took me a little while, but I've figured out that match-up. Just prepare well.

Back