• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Gourgeist / Golbat

sainsaw

Aspiring Trainer
Pokemon:

• 4 Pumpkaboo PHF
    4 Gourgeist XY
    2 Zubat PLS
    2 Golbat PHF
    2 Dedenne FFI
Trainers/Supporters/Stadiums:

• 4 Professor Sycamore
    2 N
    2 Lysandre
    3 Skyla
    2 Teammates
    1 Professor Birch's Observations

4 Hypnotoxic Laser
    4 Exp. Share
    3 VS Seeker
    3 Ultra Ball
    2 Repeat Ball
    2 Evosoda
    2 Silent Lab
    1 Professor's Letter
    1 Sacred Ash
    1 Dowsing Machine
Energy:

• 9 Psychic Energy

Strategy:

The plan is to use Gourgeist's Spirit Scream to put the defending Pokémon EX to 10 HP and kill it from poison by a laser. Next turn Gourgeist probably gets killed and I can retrieve an Energy to another gourgeist with Exp. Share so I can do Spirit Scream again the next turn.
If I don't have a laser I can finish it the next turn with a Golbat or Chandelure EX, even if they have retreated to the bench.
The emolga is just there for its free retreat and Call for family attack, so I can fill my bench with pumpkaboos as fast as possible.

Glad to see someone playing this deck! Been trying to find a decent build for Gorgeist XY but they always end up too slow.

The Golbat Tech is nice, can get those KOs when you don't have Laser and don't wanna waste a turn on Eerie Voice.

I would personally drop the Chandelure EX, if he goes down you're probably going to lose. This deck's strength is the prize trade.

I tested Emolga who was alright. I ended up liking Espeon more, but Emolga being a basic with free retreat is really nice.

I would consider dropping Professor Birch for a Skyla or Trump Card, need those Lasers asap and need to Recycle your Lasers and Gourgeists.

4 EXP Share sounds like it would clog. I was using it (1-2 copies) and it always seemed to come at the wrong time. How has 4 been for you?

Never tried Repeat Ball, curious how its been for you.

Silent Lab definitely seems like the best stadium here. I tried Virbank and it sucked lol. I would try to fit in another copy or two for things like Rough Seas and Steel Shelter. Takes away Virizon EX's effect as well.

I actually played Master Ball over the 'good' Ace Specs since I felt like I was always forced to discard critical combo pieces (Gourgeist, Laser, Energy, Supporters). It was really nice early game to setup, and decent late game if you get a Sacred Ash or Trump Card off.

HT F8 said:
Glad to see someone playing this deck! Been trying to find a decent build for Gorgeist XY but they always end up too slow.

The Golbat Tech is nice, can get those KOs when you don't have Laser and don't wanna waste a turn on Eerie Voice.

I would personally drop the Chandelure EX, if he goes down you're probably going to lose. This deck's strength is the prize trade.

I tested Emolga who was alright. I ended up liking Espeon more, but Emolga being a basic with free retreat is really nice.

I would consider dropping Professor Birch for a Skyla or Trump Card, need those Lasers asap and need to Recycle your Lasers and Gourgeists.

4 EXP Share sounds like it would clog. I was using it (1-2 copies) and it always seemed to come at the wrong time. How has 4 been for you?

Never tried Repeat Ball, curious how its been for you.

Silent Lab definitely seems like the best stadium here. I tried Virbank and it sucked lol. I would try to fit in another copy or two for things like Rough Seas and Steel Shelter. Takes away Virizon EX's effect as well.

I actually played Master Ball over the 'good' Ace Specs since I felt like I was always forced to discard critical combo pieces (Gourgeist, Laser, Energy, Supporters). It was really nice early game to setup, and decent late game if you get a Sacred Ash or Trump Card off.

So there is someone else who plays Gourgeist :D

Chandelure ex is nice to finish someone on the bench and nice to snipe zubats against bats deck + he is bulky in this deck, but maybe i'll replace him with someone who can do ten damage on the bench, maybe he can be replaced with Uxie PLB.

I would like to play another skyla, but with two teammates I almost have a double better skyla (Gourgeist will almost every turn die), but i really need more draw support, i was playing without it first, but being unable to refresh my hand made the deck even slower. Maybe I should switch lysandre's trump card with sacred ash?

The 4 exp share is really needed to keep spamming gourgeist after gourgeist, in theory 3 would be enough but I wouldnt't go lower. It never is a lost card because you can attach to anyone to never lose a turn for energy attachment. But poison is certainly a problem because they don't trigger exp share.

Repeat ball is very nice becaus you'll almost have a pumpkaboo on the bench on the fist turn and you can search for the others. If I start wirh emolga I can have almost all my pumpkaboo out on the first turn :) and then evosoda helps to get the gourgeist.

Silent lab is now a one-of because I have no space for more. It's mostly a tech for virgen because Virizion's ability kills this deck. And they mostly don't play a stadium so when its out is stays out. I don't know what I can remove for more stadiums.

And I haven't had any uses yet of dowsing machine because I mostly had to sycamore it away, so I'll test it some more, and then give my verdict.

Do you play any other cards I missed?

For part of this season, I ran a Gourgeist deck. My deck's core consisted of Gourgeist (for spreading damage counters and KOing major threats), Landorus EX (for spreading damage - still on of the most efficient attackers in the game - as an alternate starter, and for Weakness diversity), either Dusknoir or Meowstic to move damage counters around on my opponents' Poke.

As Yveltal became more popular, I had to make further changes to the deck in order for it to reasonably compete with these decks.

Yveltal, IMO, will still be a major deck in the meta; so, consisder replacing the Emolgas with Dedennes (FFI) which can still help setup your bench; but in addition, can counter the Dark Poke that will easily 1HKO your Gourgeist, Bats, and Chandelure EX.

sainsaw said:
Chandelure ex is nice to finish someone on the bench and nice to snipe zubats against bats deck + he is bulky in this deck, but maybe i'll replace him with someone who can do ten damage on the bench, maybe he can be replaced with Uxie PLB.

I think Uxie would be a great replacement. Teammates fodder and only 1 Retreat.

Chandelure obviously has a ton more HP, but I think you would be better off with the favorable prize trade.

sainsaw said:
I would like to play another skyla, but with two teammates I almost have a double better skyla (Gourgeist will almost every turn die), but i really need more draw support, i was playing without it first, but being unable to refresh my hand made the deck even slower. Maybe I should switch lysandre's trump card with sacred ash?

Fair enough. Skyla is less conditional than teammates, so you can use it in a pinch more easily (as well as first turn/early game), but I see your point.

I love Trump Card over Sacred Ash, just watch the supporter count. Too many always sucks. :(

sainsaw said:
The 4 exp share is really needed to keep spamming gourgeist after gourgeist, in theory 3 would be enough but I wouldnt't go lower. It never is a lost card because you can attach to anyone to never lose a turn for energy attachment. But poison is certainly a problem because they don't trigger exp share.

I will take your word for it, will have to give it a try myself.

sainsaw said:
Repeat ball is very nice becaus you'll almost have a pumpkaboo on the bench on the fist turn and you can search for the others. If I start wirh emolga I can have almost all my pumpkaboo out on the first turn :) and then evosoda helps to get the gourgeist.

Nice! I personally ran Pokemon Fan Club x2, which can save you if you don't draw into a Pumpkaboo or a single copy and no Repeat Ball. Unfortunately we don't have infinite room for Supporters so maybe Repeat Ball is the right play here!

sainsaw said:
Silent lab is now a one-of because I have no space for more. It's mostly a tech for virgen because Virizion's ability kills this deck. And they mostly don't play a stadium so when its out is stays out. I don't know what I can remove for more stadiums.

Understandable. I had a reallyyyy tough time finding any space in my build as well. I'm not sure what you would remove for more, but I'd make that your first choice if you take anything out.

sainsaw said:
Do you play any other cards I missed?

Pokemon Fan Club (explained above, amazing for setup but still a supporter)
Espeon (Plasma) (gives you an early game poke + a Tropical Beach effect)
Leafeon (Plasma) (hits Seismitoad/Fairy/Dark hard)
Energy Retrieval (not sure if you would need it since you max EXP Share)

Here was my last build, for reference. I haven't touched it in a while.
http://i.imgur.com/QegrdGk.png

TuxedoBlack said:
Yveltal, IMO, will still be a major deck in the meta; so, consisder replacing the Emolgas with Dedennes (FFI) which can still help setup your bench; but in addition, can counter the Dark Poke that will easily 1HKO your Gourgeist, Bats, and Chandelure EX.

Dedenne is sickkkk for that matchup, unfortunately he doesn't have free retreat like Emolga.

And I never saw Yveltal as a weakness, considering your Gourgeists will usually just have 10HP and will die regardless of weakness. I would consider Seismitoad, VirGen,and Fighting to be far more problematic. Also any deck with Rough Seas or Steel Shelter hurts.

HT F8 said:
I think Uxie would be a great replacement. Teammates fodder and only 1 Retreat.

Chandelure obviously has a ton more HP, but I think you would be better off with the favorable prize trade.

I just removed the Chandelure EX for now. I have 8 basics now and I think it can be enough, will see if it is enough and I don't miss the snipe damge, but for that I have Lysandre and the Golbats off course.

HT F8 said:
Fair enough. Skyla is less conditional than teammates, so you can use it in a pinch more easily (as well as first turn/early game), but I see your point.

I love Trump Card over Sacred Ash, just watch the supporter count. Too many always sucks. :(

I replaced the shadow triad with a Skyla and replaced Sacred Ash with Lysandres trump card, but sometimes Sacred Ash is really better. Mostly when a Gourgeist is prized and I need one in the last turn when my deck is small and I can directly get it. So I'll think Sacred Ash is a keeper :)

HT F8 said:
Nice! I personally ran Pokemon Fan Club x2, which can save you if you don't draw into a Pumpkaboo or a single copy and no Repeat Ball. Unfortunately we don't have infinite room for Supporters so maybe Repeat Ball is the right play here!

Yeah, I have a lot of supporters in these deck so I'll keep the repeat balls, they do help to get them out faster. Be sure to try them out.

HT F8 said:
Understandable. I had a reallyyyy tough time finding any space in my build as well. I'm not sure what you would remove for more, but I'd make that your first choice if you take anything out.

I added a Silent Lab in place of the Chandelure EX, and it really helps against other stadiums. I sometimes is a pity that the free retreat ability of Zubat is gone...

HT F8 said:
Pokemon Fan Club (explained above, amazing for setup but still a supporter)
Espeon (Plasma) (gives you an early game poke + a Tropical Beach effect)
Leafeon (Plasma) (hits Seismitoad/Fairy/Dark hard)
Energy Retrieval (not sure if you would need it since you max EXP Share)

Here was my last build, for reference. I haven't touched it in a while.
http://i.imgur.com/QegrdGk.png

Thanks for sharing your deck, I'll take a look at it.

HT F8 said:
Dedenne is sickkkk for that matchup, unfortunately he doesn't have free retreat like Emolga.

And I never saw Yveltal as a weakness, considering your Gourgeists will usually just have 10HP and will die regardless of weakness. I would consider Seismitoad, VirGen,and Fighting to be far more problematic. Also any deck with Rough Seas or Steel Shelter hurts.

I do have a problem with Yveltal, and mostly the baby Yveltal killing Pumpkaboo in the first turn so I'll surely replace Emolga with Dedenne, I just didn't realize it had the Entrainment attack, but that's really helpful.

Seismitoad isn't reallya hard matchup if I can setup before the quaking punch. I can't play laser but golbat kills the Seismitoad the next turn so there is no real problem. And with Silent Lab I can manage to beat VirGen, so the second copy is really helpful.

I also updated the list with my small changes.

sainsaw said:
I replaced the shadow triad with a Skyla and replaced Sacred Ash with Lysandres trump card, but sometimes Sacred Ash is really better. Mostly when a Gourgeist is prized and I need one in the last turn when my deck is small and I can directly get it. So I'll think Sacred Ash is a keeper :)

Man I want to play Shadow Triad sooo badly in this deck, but it falls just short of being good enough lol.

Yeah being able to grab the clutch Gourgeist is nice when you don't have to spend your supported on Trump. Good changes, looking forward to see how it tests!

HT F8 said:
sainsaw said:

Man I want to play Shadow Triad sooo badly in this deck, but it falls just short of being good enough lol.

Yeah being able to grab the clutch Gourgeist is nice when you don't have to spend your supported on Trump. Good changes, looking forward to see how it tests!

Yeah, I played it at first because I thought it would be needed to reuse the lasers, but in most games I don't need the four lasers because I'll only play them for the kill (of if I really really need to stall). And dowsing machine is just so much better to reuse the laser, or anything else I need :)

I'll think I'll keep this as the final list, although I could use more energy, but that is only a problem in some matches.

Now to see if I dare to play it at the next regionals here... :)

Don't know if it is allowed, but I would like to bump it with results from the last regionals.

I went 3-3 with this deck, which isn't very god, but okay for this deck.

First round I lost against Landorus-EX/bats, with the bench damage killing everything I put down. Only thing helping here would be a Mr. Mime, but even then I don't know if it would save me from the bat damage.

Second round I won against Camerupt-EX/emboar, the gourgeist were just too fast in killing the camerupt.

Third round I lost against an Yveltal-EX deck, mostly because the player used lasers to kill my Gourgeist so EXP. Share wouldn't trigger. This way my setup was too slow to do anything in return. Dedenne helped here but without silver bangle it never leads to a kill.

Fourth and fifth round were against Donphan, one normal list and one with the added P. Groudon-EX. I won against both, mainly using the first attack of Gourgeist to slowly kill Phanphy, Hawlucha, Robo's. Sometimes killing the dangerous Donphan or Groudon with Gourgeist's second attack.

The last round I lost against ToadPuff, with the item lock coming really fast and my setup being too slow. I killed a few Seismitoad using Gourgeist and next turn bats, but only one bad sleep check from their lasers and the game was over for me.

I would like to test this deck more before making any changes, but Mr. mime would be really helpfull, maybe replacing a Dedenne or a supporter.

Also for the future rotation when the lasers are gone, this deck could maybe still work using 4 Zubats/Golbats for the afterkill.

HT F8 said:
TuxedoBlack said:
Yveltal, IMO, will still be a major deck in the meta; so, consider replacing the Emolgas with Dedennes (FFI) which can still help setup your bench; but in addition, can counter the Dark Poke that will easily 1HKO your Gourgeist, Bats, and Chandelure EX.
Still, for it's potentential to KO Yveltals, Dedenne is well worth it, IMO.

HT F8 said:
TuxedoBlack said:
Yveltal, IMO, will still be a major deck in the meta; so, consider replacing the Emolgas with Dedennes (FFI) which can still help setup your bench; but in addition, can counter the Dark Poke that will easily 1HKO your Gourgeist, Bats, and Chandelure EX.
And I never saw Yveltal as a weakness, considering your Gourgeists will usually just have 10HP and will die regardless of weakness.
I find "little" Yveltal with an attached Muscle Band to be more of a nuisance since it can can 1HKO Gourgeists and is only 1 prize. Yveltal EX need not ever get involve.

HT F8 said:
TuxedoBlack said:
I would consider Seismitoad, VirGen,and Fighting to be far more problematic. Also any deck with Rough Seas or Steel Shelter hurts.
There are some other techs that you could include to tech against these cards. For example, Leafeon (PLF) is amazing. More VCG to counter Rough Seas and Steel Shelter.

sainsaw said:
First round I lost against Landorus-EX/bats, with the bench damage killing everything I put down. Only thing helping here would be a Mr. Mime, but even then I don't know if it would save me from the bat damage.
Remember: the 'bats are placing damage counters; so, Mr. Mime's Bench Barrier will not stop the placement of damage counters.

Personally I think there is no point in running Zubat + Golbat unless you run full on bats, so that's the approach my suggestions are going. You can also use Bats to rack up damage in some parts of the game if you're simply going too slow. There is also a huge amount of energy + EXP Share IMO. Do you realistically need that much!?

I also find that maybe your Stadium isn't the best choice. Virbank could be useful, especially if you go for a bat game, where the damage is prized. Dimension Valley does allow your Bats to attack for free, so that could be useful. Training Center is my last stadium recommendation, as it /does/ put Gourgiest out of a baby Yveltal 1-hit KO, as well as give more HP to your bats, if you ever need to stall with them (they can be super tough to take down).

-2 Skyla (I think there is too much Skyla. I think you'd prefer to use a draw supporter instead).
-1 Birch (Run N instead)
-1 Teammates (You've got VS Seeker; just reuse it)
-1 Pumpkaboo (Make room for the bats)
-1 Gourgiest (^)
-2 Evosoda (The bats do not benefit from this card, so don't use it)
-1 Sacred Ash (I personally don't see the worth in this deck when you can have Trump)
-1 EXP Share (Too many)
-1 Dedenne (I think your deck will be consistent enough to get out Pokemon without 2 Dedenne)
-2 Psychic Energy (Also too many)
-1 Dowsing Machine (I think Computer Search would be more viable in this deck)
-1 Silent Lab (You could just leave one to stop those pesky Virizion)
EDIT: -1 Lysandre (Only need 1, IMO)

+2 Zubat
+2 Golbat PHF
+4 Crobat
+1 N (Consistency; if they get ahead of you since you often give a free KO, you can start hitting them with Ns to kill their hands)
+1 Lysandre's Trump Card (I really think this is necessary to get back all your tools)
+2 Training Center (Personally I find this the best Stadium out of the three, as you can /probably/ survive without laserbank, and use your opponents Virbanks if you prefer)
+3 Super Scoop Up (Reuse the Bats... and if your opponent whiffs a turn to attack after a Spirit Scream and promotes a 1-prize Pokemon, you could try and get some bat damage off instead of taking another prize)

EDIT 2:
Just used this deck with my Bat edits vs a LandoBats and was really happy with the results! I made a bad misplay early on when I could've saved a Zubat... but thankfully I managed to get ahead with the 1-prize card trade. The bats were amazing in this match up, allowing me to pick off a threatening Zubat using 30 damage + laser + Lysandre, and then sniping a Jirachi-EX for the game. The Gourgeist came helpful in killing off a highly annoying Lucario-EX that would've stomped through my deck otherwise. Another note is that I still find that I'm drawing sufficiently, especially at the start of the game. A Jirachi-EX may be a necessary addition to the deck.

I do like the changes you made, but it looks like a different deck with these changes?
It seems more like a damage placement deck, instead of focusing on the OHKO with Gourgeist/Laser.

But I actually like the changes, so I'll test it out and see how it works against other decks. This could actually work after rotation when laser is gone, it would be nice if meowstic could be in the deck than to make the best use of all the damage counters on the opponents field :)

Thanks for the feedback.

sainsaw said:
I do like the changes you made, but it looks like a different deck with these changes?
It seems more like a damage placement deck, instead of focusing on the OHKO with Gourgeist/Laser.

But I actually like the changes, so I'll test it out and see how it works against other decks. This could actually work after rotation when laser is gone, it would be nice if meowstic could be in the deck than to make the best use of all the damage counters on the opponents field :)

Thanks for the feedback.

True, it probably seems much more like a Gourgeist / Bats deck compared to Gourgeist / Golbat. But still, the deck really needs Gourgeist to actually function, as the damage placed by Bats will not be enough. Also, Meowstic would not be a good Pokemon to use - you don't want to use a turn to just move damage counters! Instead, you should be sniping the right Pokemon, so damage doesn't need to be moved.

bbninjas said:
sainsaw said:

Thanks for the feedback.

True, it probably seems much more like a Gourgeist / Bats deck compared to Gourgeist / Golbat. But still, the deck really needs Gourgeist to actually function, as the damage placed by Bats will not be enough. Also, Meowstic would not be a good Pokemon to use - you don't want to use a turn to just move damage counters! Instead, you should be sniping the right Pokemon, so damage doesn't need to be moved.

Yeah, but with Gourgeist you can't aim the damage counters and sometimes a lot gets heaped on benched EX Pokémon with no way to kill them and Meowstic could help taking two kills instead of one. But I'll try it out tonight without Meowtic because it thinks it will be too clunky.

sainsaw said:
bbninjas said:

Yeah, but with Gourgeist you can't aim the damage counters and sometimes a lot gets heaped on benched EX Pokémon with no way to kill them and Meowstic could help taking two kills instead of one. But I'll try it out tonight without Meowtic because it thinks it will be too clunky.

I'd suggest using Bats/Gourgeist's first attack in that case. Also, I have just realised that Training Center is a bad idea... if you use Gourgeist's Spirit Scream and your opponent gets rid of the Stadium, they've effectively just got a free prize.

bbninjas said:
sainsaw said:

I'd suggest using Bats/Gourgeist's first attack in that case. Also, I have just realised that Training Center is a bad idea... if you use Gourgeist's Spirit Scream and your opponent gets rid of the Stadium, they've effectively just got a free prize.

True, but a 160 HP Crobat is handy :)
I was still looking for another stadium, Dimensional vally could help for the free attacks of the bats, but isn't that helpful. Maybe 1-1?

Did you test the deck already? And is Gourgeist's spirit scream attack still used a lot?

sainsaw said:
bbninjas said:

True, but a 160 HP Crobat is handy :)
I was still looking for another stadium, Dimensional vally could help for the free attacks of the bats, but isn't that helpful. Maybe 1-1?

Did you test the deck already? And is Gourgeist's spirit scream attack still used a lot?

Dimension Valley isn't too great, IMO (you'd find you can spare energy unless you misplay). I've figured that maybe it'd be best to stick with Silent Stadium, now... But not 1-1. It should be 1 stadium or the other; I do run 1-2 of Silent - Training ATM, but that isn't that necessary. I'm wondering if this Stadium count would be good:

-2 Training
+1 Silent
+1 Jirachi-EX

So you have 2 Silent and 1 Jirachi-EX as a replacement.

I've done a bit of testing. I still use Gourgeist's Spirit Scream a lot, often taking a half of more of the prizes; it's great for picking off EXs. In a primarily non-EX deck, I personally prefer using the Bats + Gourgeist's first attack, as you get a better prize trade.

Yeah, true, with seven energy you should have all energy needed, only attaching to bats if really necessary. The silent lab is good against Virizion and helps against Keldoe/Darkrai EX abilities, so I'll only keep the two Silent Lab as you suggesteed.

I would also like one AZ to be sure the bats get back + it's reusable with VS seeker if needed.

Would Training Whistle be a fun one-off? To kill small basics (Exeggcute?) or Jirachi's again :p

sainsaw said:
Yeah, true, with seven energy you should have all energy needed, only attaching to bats if really necessary. The silent lab is good against Virizion and helps against Keldoe/Darkrai EX abilities, so I'll only keep the two Silent Lab as you suggesteed.

I would also like one AZ to be sure the bats get back + it's reusable with VS seeker if needed.

Would Training Whistle be a fun one-off? To kill small basics (Exeggcute?) or Jirachi's again :p

I personally wouldn't suggest AZ, but if you prefer to run it, try it out.

And... I do not think Training Whistle would be good idea. Personally I don't have space for the card, while Jirachi takes too many Bats to kill easily and Exeggcute is really only seen in 2 deck types.

Back