• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Gourgeist/Garbador/Sigilyph/Mewtwo EX

JergenMioff

Aspiring Trainer
Experience: Novice (technically I guess?)

Pokemon
  • 4 Pumpkaboo
  • 2 Gourgeist
  • 2 Mewtwo - EX
  • 2 Sigilyph (safeguard)
  • 2 Trubbish (storm 65/135)
  • 2 Garbador (garbotoxin)

Trainers
  • 2 Professor Juniper
  • 2 N
  • 4 Skyla
  • 2 Shauna
  • 2 Virbank City Gym
  • 4 Hypnotoxic Laser
  • 4 Evosoda
  • 3 Switch
  • 2 Professor's Letter
  • 1 Pokemon Catcher
  • 1 Energy Retrieval
  • 1 Great Ball
  • 1 Hard Charm
  • 1 Max Revive
  • 1 Muscle Band
  • 1 Tool Scrapper
  • 1 Dowsing Machine

Energy
  • 9 Psychic
  • 4 DCE

Strategy
This deck is mostly about having an active gourgeist to put their pokemon to 10, then finish them off with a laser or any of the other pokemon. Pretty straight forward, looking for suggestions/comments.

Once Wild Blaze releases I would totally throw in a Protect Cube for Gourgeist so he doesn't take damage from his attack but I love the idea!

MisaMouri said:
Once Wild Blaze releases I would totally throw in a Protect Cube for Gourgeist so he doesn't take damage from his attack but I love the idea!

"Put damage counters on both Active Pokémon until the remaining HP of each Pokémon is 10."

I dont think it would work that way. Protect cube protects against damage done to itself. However because of how gourgeist's attacks work, it doesn't actually do any damage. Rather it drops damage counters. Which is both why it's bench damage isn't affected by mr mime, but also why its attack cant take advantage of protect cube. It doesn't actually do damage, it just adds damage counters until it has 10 hp remaining.

So, I've come back from quite a bit of inactivity to respond to a post. Also Protect Cube won't protect against placing counters.

So My suggestions:

-2 Trubbish (storm 65/135)
-1 Pumpkaboo
-1 Evo Soda and/or Energy Retrieval

+2 Trubbish (Dragons Exalted 53) [reprinted in treasures]
+1 Mr. Mime (Plasma Freeze 47)
+1/2 Super Rod

Reasoning:
The reason for the trubbish swap is there is ALWAYS a chance your Trubbish could be the only thing out. The fact that the this trubbish CAN poison (with 3 energy) is a really good thing. On top of that, when it evolves to a Garbodor, it has the energy to use his attacks as well. You're also running only two tools, so incase you do need Trubbish to attack, you won't have any good benefit from using tool drop.

Drop a Pumpkaboo for a Mr Mime. For only 2 Gourgeist in the deck you only really need 3 Pumpkaboo, and with a lot of decks running darkrais and the like, there is a lot of bench hitting, making the Mime a more useful pokemon than a pumpkaboo that can't evolve.

Removing an Evo Soda (And/or and Energy Retrieval) and putting in a super rod is handy. Super rod will put three cards (B Energy or Pokemon of your choice) back in your deck, allowing you to get any fainted Pumpkaboo AND Gourgeist as well as an energy back into your deck in a turn, or three energy. Theres a LOT of option with it and it gets back more than a Retrieval will (although to the deck and not to the hand), and with only 2 gourgeist and garbodor you don't need more than 3 sodas.

Ivy_Profen said:
MisaMouri said:

"Put damage counters on both Active Pokémon until the remaining HP of each Pokémon is 10."

I dont think it would work that way. Protect cube protects against damage done to itself. However because of how gourgeist's attacks work, it doesn't actually do any damage. Rather it drops damage counters. Which is both why it's bench damage isn't affected by mr mime, but also why its attack cant take advantage of protect cube. It doesn't actually do damage, it just adds damage counters until it has 10 hp remaining.

Hmmm thank you Ivy for clarifying that. I apologize for the poor suggestion. I really like the idea of this deck though. :)

Why do you have both Safeguard Sigilyph and Garbodor? It's a bit confusing considering that Garbotoxin shuts off Safeguard.

Its a tech vs certain decks. Sigilyph is for every match up with an ex. Garbodor is for something like Virizion Ex that prevents hypnotoxic, or something else that could be detrimental to his deck.

I'm gonna make some drastic changes here, so stop me if it strays from your intent. I feel Dusknoir is a better partner for Gourgiest, and the flexibility and power that Dusknoir brings to the table isn't something to mess around with.

-1 Pumpkaboo
-2 Mewtwo EX (maybe, see below)
-2 Trubbish
-2 Garbodor
-2 Evosoda
-1 Skyla
-1 Professor's Letter
-1 Great Ball
-1 Hard Charm
-1 Max Revive
-1 Energy Retrival
-1 Psychic
-1 DCE
Total out- 17

+1 Gourgiest
+2 Dusknoir
+1 Dusklops
+2 Duskull
+1 Juniper
+2 N
+1 Super Rod
+2 Rare Candy
+1 Pokemon Catcher
+2 Level Ball
+2 Ultra Ball

I think this would be stronger over all, I just believe it's the best way to go. I took the Mewtwo out because it isn't worth the two prizes it gives. If they KO all 3 Gourgiest and you have a Dusknoir on the board and still haven't won, you're probably about to.

I'm about to make a crazy suggestion, just think about it, and anyone who reads this put your opinion about it too, but since we have a bunch of Psychic type non-ex Pokemon, why not make the party even more fun? My idea isn't very good, but it's there... And said Pokemon is Trevenant.

-2 Pokemon Catcher
-1 Muscle Band
-1 Switch
-1 Psychic
-1 Ultra Ball

+2 Phantump
+2 Trevenant
+1 Super Rod
+1 Escape Rope

Trevenant is just a nice card. He can help you out here, I think. His ability could really slow down your opponent (along with Sigilyph) and he can put a total of 120 on the board. You Evosoda to him, so he doesn't seem too obstructive in here, but again, this idea could be inane projectures. Setting up behind this guy could put you seriously in front, in my opinion.

That's my take here, and so do what you want with it. If you think I'm crazy, I may just be, but tell me what you think at least. I do think it's better off anyway without the Mewtwo, and if you want to run Garbodor you'll have to add some more tools (Probably take out some switch for a few Float stone), and you'll be good. Hope this helps!

Back