Bungeegum

Aspiring Trainer
57-gourgeist.jpg

99.jpg

Ariados
– Grass – HP70
Stage 1 – Evolves from Spinarak

Ability: Poison Nest
Once during your turn (before your attack), you may use this Ability. Both Active Pokemon are now Poisoned. (Excluding [G] Pokemon.)

What do you think about this combination of cards in the post rotation competitive play? Here is my personal opinion:

Pros:
  • With Spirit Scream + Poison Nest + Sparkling Robe you can KO every pokemon in the game without losing your active Gourgeist due to poison.
  • Unlike the old versión with lasers you have unlimited access to poison, making it more consistent than before.
  • The number of cards required to do the ko is razonable and relatively easy to set up.
  • If you can get it running the results are overwhelming.

Cons:
  • If you get a gourgeist knocked out can result difficult to charge a new one.
  • Before you get a Gourgeist charged the opponent will have a turn to attack you, that can be problematic if you are facing a speed deck like Rayquaza or a fast damage deck like fighting variants.
  • Item lock shuts down a big part of your strategy, but with trevenant and toad almost out of the format, Vileplume is the only real threat that can be solved with one Hex Maniac.
  • Grass decks due to his immunity.

Goods additions to compensate cons:
  • Exp. Share to accelerate energy charging and be able to atack every turn.
  • Super Scoop Up to recycle damaged Gourgeist.
  • Energy Switch in sinergy with Super Scoop Up.
  • A heavy line of Crushing and Enhanced Hammers to avoid getting attacked in your vulnerable turns.
  • Hex Maniac for Vileplume.
  • Absol ROS to finish when you are not able to poison the defending pokemon.

I really want to run this deck and i think it has considerable potential so I would be grateful to read your comments and opinions!

I've made a deck like this myself, for this a pre-LTCban. I'd like to say its quite successful (at least it works!). Its a Gourgeist/Bats/LaserBank with EXP. Share. There are a few things I found in testing this deck, the main one is how difficult it is to constantly stream Gourgeist (although this may mean my deck engine needs fixing). There are countless times I have had to stall and/or take 2+ prize cards with Bats alone, while I try to get Gourgeist out.

crann77 is right about the 10HP problem. Unless you just destroyed your opponent's P-Groudon in one hit and a chuckle at them doing so, it is nearly expected that your opponent will 1-hit KO it during the next turn.

Also, you can't run Robe + Exp Share, otherwise it will get too clunky. It is imperative in your strategy that you use the Robe, otherwise you will constantly be getting KOd. You /need/ a Robe on every single Gourgeist your put up there otherwise you're going to full desperately behind on the prize trade.

I've made a deck like this myself, for this a pre-LTCban. I'd like to say its quite successful (at least it works!). Its a Gourgeist/Bats/LaserBank with EXP. Share. There are a few things I found in testing this deck, the main one is how difficult it is to constantly stream Gourgeist (although this may mean my deck engine needs fixing). There are countless times I have had to stall and/or take 2+ prize cards with Bats alone, while I try to get Gourgeist out.

crann77 is right about the 10HP problem. Unless you just destroyed your opponent's P-Groudon in one hit and a chuckle at them doing so, it is nearly expected that your opponent will 1-hit KO it during the next turn.

Also, you can't run Robe + Exp Share, otherwise it will get too clunky. It is imperative in your strategy that you use the Robe, otherwise you will constantly be getting KOd. You /need/ a Robe on every single Gourgeist your put up there otherwise you're going to full desperately behind on the prize trade.

You're right, I was thinking to use Tool Retriever to replace Exp. Share with Robe, but I'm agree that it sounds clunky. Anyway, my biggest concern is to get Gourgeist constantly charged and attacking, a solution could be having a wall to send active when you need to charge them.

So i was thinking in this posible solutions:
  1. Playing 3-4 Robo subs and only using Exp. Share as tool, you trigger the poison when Robo Sub is active.
  2. Playing walls like wobbuffet, switch and Robe, you send the wall in the turn when you cannot attack then switch out.
  3. Playing Shrine of memories, so when you are with only one energy you can confuse your opponent.

You're right, I was thinking to use Tool Retriever to replace Exp. Share with Robe, but I'm agree that it sounds clunky. Anyway, my biggest concern is to get Gourgeist constantly charged and attacking, a solution could be having a wall to send active when you need to charge them.

1. Playing 3-4 Robo subs and only using Exp. Share as tool, you trigger the poison when Robo Sub is active.
  2. Playing walls like wobbuffet, switch and Robe, you send the wall in the turn when you cannot attack then switch out.
  3. Playing Shrine of memories, so when you are with only one energy you can confuse your opponent.

Either the Robo Wall without the Exp Share (you want to be 1-hit KOing on the turn you do the damage not after) or Wobuffet + Mystery Energy would be good. You could try Exp Share (attached to Ariados or Wobuffet) + Energy Switch to keep energy on the KO which can then be switched to the Gourgeist when required.

Interesting idea... I had a similar strategy thought up, but with different Pokemon: A Trick Coin Primal Clash Doublade (False swipe) with Steel Shelter and the same Ariados. Might have similar issues with Gourgist - controling energy usage, and, well, only 80 HP. Also a little less reliable... But a Double Colorless is all you'd need for it, and you can even evolve Doublade in a pinch.

Just an idea for you...

I've tried out a very similar deck but instead used Swellow ROS as my clean up attacker. Using Exp Share I was able to stream Gourgeist and Swellow but had issues against any item lock deck and anything that is able to switch freely.

Why not just use Masquerain PLB?

Why not just use Masquerain PLB?

Because it's the new rotation set is most likely why.

I love Gourgeist... I did an expanded deck of this and it ran well when it got going. It consisted of Gourgeist, Reuniclus, and Forretress, Simply just use Gourgeist's Spirit Scream and Damage Swap it out then use Forretress to clean up.

A few more cons to consider as well since there is a mentioned "grass decks":
  • Item-locking decks (Seismitoad EX, Trevenant and Vileplume) to counter your Hammer plays,
  • Dark decks (running Yveltal) which can decimate your Pumkaboos and Gourgeists.
  • Decks running Poké (e.g., Landorus EX and Manectric EX) that can attack both Defending and benched Poké.
  • Decks that run any type of "healing," e.g., Rough Seas in certain decks.
I've been running Gourgeist decks for awhile now and have found Hard Charms to be very, very useful while setting up.

A "pro" I'd like to suggest is the use of Meowstic whose attack can move the damage counters spread on the opponent's Poké around. In do so, one can then KO opponent's "strategic" Poké enhancing your chances of winning the game.

Last edited:
Back