Gothielle/Reuniclus still viable?

trondog

Fresh out da grid
I was hoping to get a quick opinion on whether or not, given the current environment and the increased popularity of Chandelure decks, the Gothielle/Reuniclus deck is still a very competitive deck. I have a Gothielle/Reuniclus deck built out of what few cards I have (recently returning to the game) and would also like some pointers on what kind of tech to run for the new environment.

Not to bleed in a Deck Garage thread in, but just for reference in my realm of thinking on the topic the deck I'm running with is

Pokemon (19):
4x Gothia 43/98
2x Gothorita 46/98
3x Gothielle 47/98
3x Solosis
2x Duosion
2x Reuniclus (BW)
2x Zekrom
1x Tornadus

Trainer/Supporters (28)
4x Junk Arm
4x Pokemon Communication
3x Rare Candy
3x Pokemon Catcher
2x Switch
1x Max Potion

3x N
3x Sage's Training
2x Pokemon Collector
2x Cheren
1x Professor Juniper

Energy (13):
3x Double Colorless
10x Psychic

After playtesting the main reasons for my questions of whether or not it is viable is how slow it seems compared to other competitive decks. I just want some opinions on whether or not I should continue to pursue this deck type or if I should just scrap it and go in a different direction.

The point of Gothitelle is that it makes it so your opponent has trouble ohkoing you while you put a major hindrance on them (trainer lock). Magnezone isn't affected very much by the trainer lock because of its built in draw power and has little problem ohkoing gothitelle. The fact that it is so popular right now has pushed Goth down to ~tier 2. Also, Black Belt and Rockey Helmet are too easy to tech into most decks and they push Gothitelle into the ohko range when it normally wouldn't be.

It isn't as viable as it was when EP came out, but it is still a decent deck. Once the EXs come out though it will hardly see any play as all of the playable EXs can ohko Gothitelle with ease.

Not that Viable anymore, unfortunately. It can't deal with Magnezone, and EXs walk all over it if they get setup. Maybe if a really, really fast build that could get into play before The Thunderdome gets setup?

Or, post next destinies, Gothitelle with Gardevoir? Same Stalling tactics as always for Goth, and then come out swinging with many damage. Many. many damage.

So I think right now its viable. Magnezone is its worst matchup. But after EX's come out, I don't think Gothitelle will stand a chance. Anything that can OHKO it is going to be a serious problem.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wyImY48Pgjg&context=C34749edADOEgsToPDskITesqSwGaX93hiuF1AyQcA

Here is a video of google Cawthon piloting a sick gothitelle deck with tons of crazy techs. I thought Goth was dead until I saw google play it. It will die in a month when Mewtwo EX comes out though.

That deck is absolutely ridiculous; Rainbow Energies, Victini, Octillery, Dodrio, Alph Lithograph 4, Serperior...how did he fit all that into his deck! He must have been playing nothing but one-ofs for his supporter lineup, or something equally insane. If he'd Catcher'd the Electrode (and I'm not quite sure why he didn't; he had the Junk Arm to get the catcher back to drag it or Cobalion back up when Electrode retreated, and it made sure that Zane couldn't attack. Zane even baited him earlier about it! Oh well, even the best can't do amazingly well all the time), he would've had that last game.

Because of Victini 0_0

In any case, I am in awe of google's deckbuilding skills all over again.

It's not just his deck building skill. It's his overall in-game skill. Never deny anything that looks bad on paper and never dismiss a card because you don't think it's going to work.

G/R really depends on how well Mewtwo EX performs. Once people realize Mewtwo is being over hyped, some may drop it, and G/R could possibly have a slight chance. It has good match ups against anything but EXs, pretty much.

The Yoshi said:
It's not just his deck building skill. It's his overall in-game skill. Never deny anything that looks bad on paper and never dismiss a card because you don't think it's going to work.

G/R really depends on how well Mewtwo EX performs. Once people realize Mewtwo is being over hyped, some may drop it, and G/R could possibly have a slight chance. It has good match ups against anything but EXs, pretty much.

And Magnezone. And RDL techs. The fact that things can ohko it will make people not want to play it, because that destroys the entire concept of the deck. Spend 5+ turns setting up your main attacker, have it get ohko'd by something. And even the 2 prize rule won't win you back games against EXs, because they can keep rolling and will be able to constantly ohko you, and you won't.

Back