Goodstuff Sandstorm Team

Shiny Collector

Buying Shiny Lugia
OK so this is my first RMT post so I'm not sure how to put the pics of the pokemon but I will do my best.

1. Tryanitar
[animate]tyranitar[/animate]
Nature: Adamant (Atk+/SpAtk-)
EVs: 180 HP/ 252 Atk/ 76 Spd
Ability: Sand Stream
Item: Chople Berry
Moves:
Crunch
Rock Slide
Protect
Fire Punch
I use this guy along with my Garchomp to set up a good Sandstorm combo with Garchomp's Sand Veil. Crunch is a nice STAB move along with a potential for decrease in Def, Rock Slide is a very nice area STAB move that hits Fire, Flying, and Ice types. Protect allows Tyranitar to survive a quick Close Combat from a pesky Infernape or some such Fighting type and Fire Punch is nice for getting rid of Ferrothorn and other bulky Steel or Grass types.

2. Garchomp
[animate]garchomp[/animate]
Nature: Hasty (Spd+/ Def-)
EVs: 4 HP/ 252 Atk/ 252 Spd
Ability: Sand Veil
Item: Life orb(if I give another item to Blaziken)/ Dragon Gem(if I give Blaziken the Life Orb)
Moves:
Earthquake
Outrage
Stone Edge
Protect
Alongside Tyranitar, Garchomp sweeps through most teams. Stone Edge is handy for end game killing when Garchomp is left with someone else. Earthquake gets a nice STAB boost and provides nice coverage to Fire, Rock, and Ice types. Protect keeps Garchomp safe from any speedy Weaviles. Outrage is a stupidly powerful physical STAB move which is helpful with Garchomp's high Atk.

3. Jellicent
[animate]jellicent[/animate]
Nature: Bold (Def+/ Atk-)
EVs: 248 HP/ 216 Def/ 44 Spd
Ability: Water Absorb
Item: Sitrus Berry
Moves:
Scald
Protect
Shadow Ball
Recover
So some of you may say why Def on this guy? Well, I say because since its Ghost it is immune to Fighting and Normal types, and it has Water Absorb so no Water damage, and it resists Bug, Steel, Ice, and Fire all which are generally physical. Shadow Ball allows Jellicent to hit those uncommon bulky Ghost Pokemon for some extra damage. Scald allows for a nice burn which lowers the opponent's attack which is why I decided to run a defensive set on Jellicent. Protect lets Jellicent sit back and eat its Leftovers while its opponents cry for Nurse Joy to heal their burn. Recover allows Jellicent to get its HP back.

4. Ferrothorn
[animate]ferrothorn[/animate]
Nature: Relaxed (Def+/ Spd-)
EVs: 252 HP/ 252 Def/ 4 Atk
Ability: Iron Barbs
Item: Rocky Helmet
Moves:
Power Whip
Gyro Ball
Protect
Substitute
Ferrothorn and Jellicent being paired up together are able to stall the opposing team for a few turns. The Rocky Helmet along with Iron Barbs Ability will allow for Ferrothorn to stack damage up on any pokemon who tries to whittle down its HP and will hopefully cause more damage to them than Ferrothorn receives. Substitute helps keep Ferrothorn alive for an extra turn or two. Power Whip is a great STAB move for Ferrothorn to hit those bulky Water/Ground types such as Swampert or Gastrodon. Gyro Ball is a nice STAB move and since Ferrothorn is inherently slow it will do lots more damage. Protect allows Ferrothorn to survive while Garchomp Earthquakes and just allow for him to stall for one more turn.

5. Wash Rotom
[animate]rotom-w[/animate]
Nature: Modest (SpAtk+/ Atk-)
EVs: 4 HP/ 252 SpAtk/ 252 Spd
Ability: Levitate
Item: Choice Specs
Moves:
Thunderbolt
Trick
Hydro Pump
Hidden Power(Ice)
I guess you could call this my revenge Dragon killer with his HP Ice. Thunderbolt kills bulky Waters that my team would otherwise have no type advantages over. Hydro Pump gets rid of Ground and Rock types that i might have a hard time getting rid of otherwise. Trick screws over anyone who uses a move such as Fake Out for example.

6. Uhm for this one I'm not sure, I was planning on having a Special Fairy Sweeper once Gen VI rolls around, so I have something for next gen VGC, that will be current.
Still not decided on this one but I'm thinking of running this for the time being:
Blaziken
[animate]blaziken[/animate]
Nature: Adamant (Atk+/SpAtk-)
EVs: 4 HP/ 252 Atk/ 252 Spe
Ability: Speed Boost
Item: Hmmm, would like to use Life Orb but already using on Garchomp (Any Ideas?)
Moves:
Flare Blitz
Sky Uppercut
Protect
Brave Bird
Protect on the first turn allows for Blaziken to get a free Speed Boost while Garchomp rushes in with a powerful STAB Earthquake while bypassing Blaziken, who on the next turn would be fast enough to break any glass cannons such as Weavile with Sky Uppercut. Brave Bird is GREAT for getting rid of those pesky Hitmontops and other Fighting types. Flare Blitz is a good STAB physical move to deal with any stray Steels.

So yea could you guys maybe take a look at my team so far and hopefully punch some holes in it.

RE: Bulky Sandstorm Team

Well, the first thing that comes into my mind is Ferrothorn. Since it's a Spiker & Stealth Rocker, it hasn't much chance to defend itself, so a fire-type special attack can be pretty bad. Otherwise, lookin' pretty good.

For one, with how fast the VGC meta is, Spikes and any other form of hazard is completely pointless. I heavily advise that you remove the hazards from Ferro altogether.

Tryanitar
Nature: Adamant
EVs: 180 HP/ 252 Atk/ 76 Spd
Ability: Sand Stream
Item: Choice Band
Moves:
Crunch
Stone Edge
Earthquake
Fire Punch

The first thing that comes to mind is possibly replacing Stone Edge with Rock Slide. I've used Stone Edge on Tar before and it isn't bad by any means, but the Acc tends to turn Stone Edge into Miss Edge. At least test it out and see how it goes. Secondly, Tar really doesn't need EQ at all. In VGC, Protect is likely to be your great savior from who knows where. What it does is allows Tar to avoid damage etc. and allow an ally to take out a threat, or if you're unsure of something, it's a surefire scout move. Definitely more worthwhile over EQ (you may just need to get the prediction down).

May I ask what your spread is doing for Tar, exactly? 76 Spe. doesn't give it the ability to outspeed anything noteworthy. Besides, when it comes to a Weather user, you want to be slow so you win weather wars. What you typically want in a Tar spread is something very bulky (with the exception to ScarfTar, who runs 252 Att / 252 Spe / 4 HP). Until you can manage to create your own specific spread that you might want for this team that works, I might try out 252 HP / 124 Att / 40 / 96 SDef. I'll admit, it is a copy of Rizzo's spread from Worlds '12 (and a damn good one at that), but right now, it can be used as a fill-in until you have your own. The basis of this spread is just pure bulk while being able to nab heavy blows on specific things. One great aspect of the spread is Tar can live Adamant 252 Meteor Mashes from Metagross, and OHKO Scizor with Fire Punch.

Lastly, Tar doesn't need a Choice Band. It loves flexibility in many different situations, and the Choice Band is a heavy limit on it. Try the Chople Berry to live Close Combat from various things.

Garchomp
Nature: Hasty (Spd+/ Def-)
EVs: 4 HP/ 252 Atk/ 252 Spd
Ability: Sand Veil
Item: Choice Scarf
Moves:
Earthquake
Outrage
Stone Edge
Fire Blast

I've ran some calcs, and needless to say, Fire Blast really isn't worth the tradeoff in the benefits you lose in the process (the most you OHKO is... Scizor? Metagross still needs a 3HKO, versus the 2HKO it receives via EQ). Protect could fit in this slot better I'd have to say. Also, while I'm still on the topic of the moveset, Outrage is one of the biggest drags in VGC. Why? The targets that get hit are random. There's barely any way to control it, so in general, Garchomp uses either Dual Chop or Dragon Claw in Outrage's place for Doubles.

With Fire Blast gone, Hasty obviously isn't needed, which means you can now run Adamant to amplify some of Garchomp's power, or Jolly to outspeed Neutral max Speed base 100s (and 102s). Either way, the Choice Scarf for this particular team isn't necessary. It can be good, but not now. To start with, try the Yache Berry. A foe's Ice Beam / Icy Wind Cress is never a friend of Garchomp, and there may come a point when you need to leave it out in order to OHKO something, but at the same time, you could end up losing Chomp to said moves.

For now, I'll leave my critique there and thoroughly analyze the rest of the members later (I'm a little short on time and I want to drop the suggestions I can asap).

EDIT: doesn't look like there's too much interest in this RMT now. I may or may not analyze the team fully, depending on if there's interest.

Hey sorry about that, been away for a few weeks without a doubt there is interest in this rmt. I really appreciate all your feedback so far. Im going to edit my team right now.

I would recommend an Occa Berry for the item on Ferrothorn because of its x4 Fire weakness. That would help it last for another turn with Fire type moves flying around.

Also, the animations are at this site for the Pokemon. Type this to get the picture:

Code:
[img]IMAGEURL[/img]

Just looked at the OP again. May I ask what the 76 EVs in Speed are doing for Tar, or what the hasty nature is doing for Chomp? I'm a bit confuzzled by them. Looking at your build of Tar, it seems to me you don't have much use for Speed investment (besides that, being slow is vital for opening Weather Wars), and could definitely use all the bulk it can get. I might add that because Chomp no longer uses Fire Blast, there's no reason to be running the Hasty Nature (unless you just forgot to completely update the set).

Also, if you're dead set on using Outrage Chomp in Doubles, then I highly recommend you watch this video. It gives the basics to getting Outrage down and is worth the study.

The reason im running hasty on chomp is that it has 31 speed ivs so id prefer to outspeed as much as i can. And to be honest not sure what i did with those speed evs on tyranitar kinda pointless huh?

However, Hasty doesn't do you one bit of good. The only thing it does over a Jolly Nature is lower your survivability to various attacks. With Jolly, all you do is lower Chomp's useless SAtt stat to grant the same Speed bonus as Hasty.

4. Ferrothorn
Nature: Relaxed (Def+/ Spd-)
EVs: 252 HP/ 252 Def/ 4 Atk
Ability: Iron Barbs
Item: Rocky Helmet
Moves:
Leech Seed
Gyro Ball
Explosion
Substitute

First off, when it comes to the spread, I'm left to wonder why you dumped so much into the Physical Bulk of it. The vast amount of Physical Moves that would OHKO it (Close Combat for example) aren't even thwarted in the least bit. Ferro does well with a spread that gives it the best of both Def. and SDef. For now, I suggest the spread of 252 HP / 180 SDef / 76 Def and a Relaxed Nature. There is really no reason for Ferro to forego that much SDef into Def.

Protect is a vital move in Doubles, no doubt about it. Replacing Explosion with Protect might do the set justice, as Ferro just doesn't do that much outside of Choice Band and Curse sets. Also, looking at the team (I am aware one slot still needs to be filled), I think both Ferro and the rest of the teammates would benefit more if Ferro were to replace Gyro Ball with Power Whip. Having an extra Rotom-W counter certainly wouldn't hurt, especially in your case. Lastly, if you decide you want to dump Sub. in the future, TWave is always a viable option on a Defensive Ferro.

As far as anything else goes, the Leftovers might do a bit of good when coupled with Leech Seed and Protect. Leftovers in a metagame like VGC (or doubles in general) isn't typically used much due to how fast the game goes, but here, I can see potential for it.

I noticed that Jellicent has both Scald and Will-O-Wisp. Why not just have Scald so damage is done while having a chance to Burn? Besides, Will-O-Wisp has a chance to miss pretty frequently.

Hmm alright gonna update it once again in the next day or so, so red striker and goobie be on the lookout for some new points to analzye

Ferrothorn will get obliterated by Fire Types because of its 4x weakness to it. You might want to consider instead putting a Focus Sash or Occa Berry on it.

I agree with SheNinja. An Occa Berry would help it survive. Protect is mainly just to see what things are going to do, correct? And when there's a Fire-Type out, instead of switching, try to replace Protect for let's say Bulldoze. It lowers those Fire-Types' Speed, letting you go first on the next turn and landing the finishing blow. Here's a picture:

1 - Ferrothorn gets hit with Flamethrower
2 - Eats Occa Berry, survives with 1/4HP
3 - Uses Bulldoze to do good damage and lower speed
4 - Moves first next turn
5 - Bulldoze 4daWIN

EDIT: Replace Jellicent's Recover for something like Shadow Ball or Night Shade. Night Shade is a guaranteed 50HP/100HP, and/or Shadow Ball is just great for dealing with other Ghosts and Psychics. Also, your team has a distinct disadvantage to Special Based Gyarados. It could Ice Beam+Hydro Pump+Flamethrower+Thunderbolt your whole team (but what are the chances, I guess :D).

Ferrothorn is too slow to outspeed pretty much anything even after a Bulldoze, and Protect is absolutely crucial in doubles. I wouldn't recommend that change at all. Seeing as how everything on the team except for Ferro can easily take out any Fire type and most can take out Zapdos as well (a common practitioner of Heat Wave) Protect is actually all the anti-Fire he needs; your other Pokemon should be able to take out the enemy's Fire user. Gyarados has 60 base special attack. Its special attacks do practically no damage. I'd probably run Shadow Ball over Psychic on Jellicent unless there's a specific threat you need to deal with, although I suppose Shadow Ball could work over Recover as well as Recover isn't as strong in doubles.

*Facepalm*

God. It's VGC meaning it's double battles. Uggh... why do I have to be so new to competitive... why?

The one problem i see with getting rid of psychic is that i have a horrible lack of fighting killing moves. Oh and im planning on getting rid of sub on ferro for leech seed or somethin of that ilk.

To my knowledge fighting types aren't particularly common in VGC, and besides, Jellicent's Satk isn't great, you haven't invested anything into it, and Psychic isn't STAB; I haven't run calcs but I think a lot of good fighting types could live a Psychic anyway. I would get rid of Sub on Ferro but not for Leech Seed as that's not a great move for doubles. I'm not sure what to replace it with, though.

Hmm ive been playing around on pokemon showdown smogon 2013 vgc doubles and the sheer amount of hitmontops i have seen is insane like every other battle i get someone with a hitmontop thats why i decided to have psychich on jellicent.

Your Jellicent is only going to be 3HKOing Hitmontops with no HP or Sdef EVs with Psychic (5% chance to 2HKO); if they're specially bulky enough, only a 4HKO. Scald and Shadow Ball both do even worse, although a burn from Scald would make Hitmontop mostly useless. Up to you if that's worth it.

Back