Good Deck Building Guides that Cover the Whys of Deck Building

TheStrictNein

Has tried turning it off and on again
Something I just don't have a ground on in this game is the why of deck building. Why you run certain cards or amounts of cards. Why I'd run 8 energy over 7, for example.

If a player asked me "Would you run 2-2-2 or 3-2-3 in this deck?" I wouldn't have the foggiest clue why. I don't get the theory behind it.

Are there any guides out there that cover the fundamentals of deck building? People always say "oh well if you feel you're running out of energy just throw in this card" Alright, well how many? What do I take out? Which version? Should I then modify other cards?

I can play this game just fine, but I can't build my own decks for the life of me. A deck I'd put together would be laughed out of local league play, let alone anything competitive. As the game is twisting and turning so much right now, I feel the need to be able to form my own strategies with reasoned choices.

I honestly think that this is the type of thing that I would get someone to sit down with you and give you a long lengthy explanation, especially with examples of why you do this and why not this. I'll true to give some basics now, though. In making decks, I suggest using a basic draw skeleton. The most basic and commonly used one is 4 Juniper, 4 N, 1/2 Colress, 3 VS Seeker and 3 Ultra Ball. Why is this considered the best? Because it is consistent and has been proven throughout Professional Play tournaments its worth of using.

One of the primary things that decides how many cards you put into a deck is how often do you want to draw said card. This is the main reason behind why Junipers and main attackers are normally maxed, or fairly high. Cards that are essential to the deck strategy often are 3-4.

For things like the 2-2-2 vs 3-2-3 can vary on a variaty of things, such as do you run Rare Candy to skip the middle stage? if you do, what is the point have a full line when you probs won't use it?

Energy related, it's really just good to stick with 7/8 energy. Then, do you feel you get the energy to often and just discard them/are a deadweight/drawing into them too often when you dont want them? If so, lower it by one. Are you finding you're getting too little energy/never drawing any when you need them/running out of energy in your deck (!), you probs should increase the count by 1.

Back