Discussion Golisopod Techs Against Volcanion/Ho-Oh/Salazzle

Keebs

Aspiring Trainer
Hello, all. First post and thread.

I've been playing Golisopod GX/Garbodor and the hardest match up by far is most definitely the Fire Variants running around since they need little effort to score OHKOs on Golisopod GX. Most people who play fire decks understand that they can sacrifice playing items to not let my Trashalanche get more than 100 damage, so Garbodor doesn't give me the edge I need. I've been running Tapu Fini GX to help stuff Kiawe with Tapu Storm, but even then it's still an uphill battle.

Anyone else that plays Golisopod GX have a tech that helps them win the Fire Variant match up?

In the matchup your best bet is aside from the pods to set up a tapu lele, since the kiawe variants set up fast, it's a weak point. You can use the lele for a guzma/attach DCE and hit them where it hurts. Afterwards, aside from baby volc, they won't be in a good spot to set up anything else.

As you are already running Rainbow and DCE in Golisodor, why not run Glaceon-EX? It 1HKOs Volcanion with a Choice Band and walls Salazzle. Ho-Oh with Choice Band is 1HKOing you anyway so weakness doesn’t actually matter but then there is always Jolteon for this specific matchup (Basics aren’t as big therefore Glaceon-EX is a better meta call but if you are worried about Phoenix Boi then try Jolteon).

I have been playing Jolteon-EX AND Glaceon-EX in my deck. Jolteon helps stall, but Turtonator-GX is a pretty good answer to Jolteon-EX as his Shell Trap breaks through the ability of Jolteon's because it doesn't prevent effects. Glaceon can get OHKOs, but that can be easily returned.

Just like any tech, it's not perfect, but these two techs have been helping me more than Tapu Fini, so thank you all for the suggestions.

Dunno if it qualifies as a 'tech' because it's there for multiple matchups, but Drampa is a very useful card to run as a 1 of because you can hit 180 consistently with a choice band. couple this with an initial spread from Koko and you've got a very versatile answer to some of the higher math problem Pokemon which isn't just useful in the fire matches.

I have been playing Jolteon-EX AND Glaceon-EX in my deck. Jolteon helps stall, but Turtonator-GX is a pretty good answer to Jolteon-EX as his Shell Trap breaks through the ability of Jolteon's because it doesn't prevent effects. Glaceon can get OHKOs, but that can be easily returned.

Just like any tech, it's not perfect, but these two techs have been helping me more than Tapu Fini, so thank you all for the suggestions.

You have a very good point in that Turtonator-Gx as some answer to Jolteon-Ex. Thats something i need to toy with in my Ninja Deck. Using Ninja Boy allows me to bypass this problem by alternating between pokémons like Jolteon-Ex/Glaceon-Ex/Machamp-Ex and Tauros-Gx.

In a Gollispod deck, you pretty much have to use Jolteon and then go with Gollisopod-Gx "First Impression" to OHKO after. Makes a total of 190 damage. It could work if you need to knock out 1 Turtonator-Gx. Having to deal with 2 would probably be more overwhelming. Just wondering how Clunky it is to run Jolteon-Ex in your deck but he is useful anyways to Gollisopod-Gx deck with the free retreat.

Back