Discussion Going for Alolan Vulpix T1?

PlinfaTheBest

Plinfa means Piplup in German!
Hey guys,

we only have a few weeks of Brokenvoir left before the Metal Pokémon invade (it probably won't be so bad until the new Solgaleo GX comes out, but I'll be switching decks soon). So, I have a question for you: If you go first, do you search for Alolan Vulpix with Brigette (playing, let's say, the Christopher Schemanske list)? I personally rarely do it, I search for two Ralts and Remoraid instead and only go for Alolan Vulpix when going second. I feel like it doesn't give me anything useful since using Beacon on T2 feels pretty slow to me. But I want to know what you guys think is the optimal Brigette search on T1.

On a side note, I have been questioning the singleton Parallel City a lot. Is it even worth it to dedicate a slot to it instead of a third Choice Band or Field Blower? It has been game changing in some situations, but I rarely get it T1 before my opponent can play Brigette and later in the game, they can usually discard a Lele or some setup Pokémon.

Thank you for your opinions
PlinfaTheBest

Hey guys,

we only have a few weeks of Brokenvoir left before the Metal Pokémon invade (it probably won't be so bad until the new Solgaleo GX comes out, but I'll be switching decks soon). So, I have a question for you: If you go first, do you search for Alolan Vulpix with Brigette (playing, let's say, the Christopher Schemanske list)? I personally rarely do it, I search for two Ralts and Remoraid instead and only go for Alolan Vulpix when going second. I feel like it doesn't give me anything useful since using Beacon on T2 feels pretty slow to me. But I want to know what you guys think is the optimal Brigette search on T1.

On a side note, I have been questioning the singleton Parallel City a lot. Is it even worth it to dedicate a slot to it instead of a third Choice Band or Field Blower? It has been game changing in some situations, but I rarely get it T1 before my opponent can play Brigette and later in the game, they can usually discard a Lele or some setup Pokémon.

PlinfaTheBest

Agree with you completely.

Hey guys,

PlinfaTheBest
I don't like alolan vulpix as anything but a starter tbh. If you manage to start with it, great. If not, it's a largely dead card unless you have no other pokemon search options in hand.

it depends on your hand and what you'll be capable of do next turn and even the deck you're playing against
there isn't a rule, you have to check if you'll have time to setup through vulpix and if you need to do it

What I like to do with A. Vulpix is use it to search for evolutions after getting their basic forms out with Brigette/Pokemon Fan Club/Brooklet Hill/whatever. If I don't have Tapu Lele, I'll search for that. If I go first and didn't get Alolan Vulpix, I'll look for it and then find a way to get it out second turn for more acceleration when the opponent is unlikely to be fully set up (such as Manaphy). Then I'll either sack it, or if I'm running Alolan Ninetales withdraw it, replace it with another Alolan Vulpix which I'll sack and then bring Ninetales in later in the game.

Of course, I'll probably abandon Ninetales once the Metal Nation invades. Fire is going to do well going forward, methinks. I even see a spot for Electavire UPR since it's got an attack that always paralyzes Metals.

What I like to do with A. Vulpix is use it to search for evolutions after getting their basic forms out with Brigette/Pokemon Fan Club/Brooklet Hill/whatever. If I don't have Tapu Lele, I'll search for that. If I go first and didn't get Alolan Vulpix, I'll look for it and then find a way to get it out second turn for more acceleration when the opponent is unlikely to be fully set up (such as Manaphy). Then I'll either sack it, or if I'm running Alolan Ninetales withdraw it, replace it with another Alolan Vulpix which I'll sack and then bring Ninetales in later in the game.

Of course, I'll probably abandon Ninetales once the Metal Nation invades. Fire is going to do well going forward, methinks. I even see a spot for Electavire UPR since it's got an attack that always paralyzes Metals.

Technically you answered the subject of the thread... but by nowhere did you come close to the content and helpfulness that the OP was looking for... unless somehow you're running Ninetales in a Gardevoir deck? Reading more than the title might have you give advice that is more topical.

I'm actually considering switching to gardy once the new set comes out...I think it is already being overlooked since pro players have been opting for the consistency of zoroark, and may be even more so with new metal hype. I'm currently testing a hybrid list with 1/1 sylveon line and an alolan vulpix. This gives you flexibility of searching out whichever support pokemon are most helpful for your given hand situation/board state/matchup. Going first, I think you're exactly right, just max out benched ralts and grab a remoraid for future draw support assuming you also have a draw supporter to keep things moving afterward. Going second, getting a magical ribbon off is obviously optimal in terms of setup/disruption, but the alolan vulpix is also a good option if part of the sylveon line is prized or you whiff either a float stone or fairy energy whatever. The important thing is to get a useful search attack off turn 1 to at least force an opponent N to refresh your hand. This goes a long way to alleviate the disadvantage of going second with a setup deck! Remember, the only deck in standard format that can play both a gust effect and hand disruption in the same turn is zoroark/lycanroc, which we have legit answers for as I'll get to in a second!

I wouldn't consider cutting the singleton parallel city for a moment. If anything, I'd consider trying to find space for a second, but I haven't been able to do this without sacrificing consistency. It is searchable by both sylveon and skyla (which I also think is totally worth playing), and essential to shoring up all of your zoroark matchups. With 2 copies of gallade, it's not hard to run through as many zoro's as they bench as long as you get set up. Parallel significantly hampers the draw power of goli/zoro and destroys the entire concept of deci/zoro. Even if they field blower it away within a couple turns, it really helps give you the breathing room you need to set up a gallade or two and eventually win the match. Against zoroark/lycanroc, it's even better, though not in the way you might initially expect. I used to use it in the same way as I did against other zoro variants...then get super frustrated when my gardy got blown up by dangerous rogue. The correct play is actually to use parallel to limit your own bench and take your lele's off the board. This directly counters their strategy of using lycanroc as their primary attacker and allows you to overpower them with type advantage and the sheer power of gardevoir gx.

As for the new set, I wouldn't be too worried about new metal archetypes (especially now that new solgaleo has been delayed until October!). Dialga Gx is quite obviously useless against gardy until it gets the type reprint later. They'll take at least a few turns to get setup, which you can then ruin with a timely parallel/plea. If you can keep magnezone off the field from there, you should be able to overwhelm them as easily as you would any other deck, as there is no possible way for them to stream OHKO's without it. I'll have to test the new metal archetype for myself, but it feels like 50/50 or so, and I think metal will struggle more than expected with zoro variants due to implicit consistency issues.

Hey guys,

PlinfaTheBest

Back