Pokemon Giratina: Pokémon Counterpart of the "Devil"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xous

Disappear to a place beyond seeing...
I realize the idea has been around since it was revealed, but would you consider Giratina to be the the Pokémon equivalent of the "Devil", or Satan? There are several parts of Giratina's description and appearance that make this a valid idea about the meaning of this Pokémon:

1.) Giratina is known as the Renegade Pokémon. I believe this refers to its Platinum Pokédex entry, which is (according to Bulbapedia): "Because of its violent behavior, it was driven out into the Ruined World, from where it silently gazes upon our world." This is very similar to how Satan was cast from Heaven. (The parallel of Heaven in Pokémon seems to be the Hall of Origin, but this is truly yet to be 100% confirmed, as the Hall has yet to have any exposure outside of the game, which simply uses the location for the resting place of Arceus. More on this may be revealed in Movie #12, if it does indeed include Arceus.)

2.) The overall appearance of Giratina has a fiendish feel to it, and its tattered wings may represent wings of a demon, and the yellow "horns" on either side of its face may be similar to horns commonly seen on imps/devils/etc.

3.) The Origin Forme's snake-like appearance may be a reference to the Devil taking the form of a snake to fool Adam and Eve into eating a fruit from the Tree of Knowledge.

There are probably others that I am missing, but what do you all think? Does all of this point to, or at least hint at, the possibility of Giratina being what would be considered the "Devil" as far as Pokémon mythology is concerned? If so, then could Arceus (if it truly is the Pokémon that "created the world as we know it" [Bulbapedia, Arceus Platinum Entry]) be considered the "God" Pokémon as far as the mythology is concerned?

How do you think this will play out in Movie #12 (of course, if Arceus is indeed appearing in this one, which is most likely)? (Does this part of the thread make this more appropriate for the Anime Section? If so, then you have my apologies! :( )

Now, I don't mean to start a religious debate or anything (how one could even start from this thread is beyond me), but I would like to speak with others on this topic in a serious manner.

RE: Discussion: Giratina truly the "Devil"?

I think the word to describe Giratina and the Ruined/Torn World, rather than evil, Is ominous.

[Does Torn World being above Mt. Coronet play apart?]

The reason Giratina attacked is because the Inversed Universe was polluted by the effect of Dialga and Palkia's Battle. And Giratina later seeks to finish it's battle with Dialga in the 12th Movie [Anime].
Cyrus disturbed Giratina in trying to control Dialga and Palkia [Game].

^Not to sure about the game one due to the fact that I don't have the game, I've just seen loads of walk/playthroughs.

You have some points there. Nice ideas, and they make sense.
Yet I also think Divine_Light is also right.
Can't something that's evil be ominous?
Evil things can escape through a mortal's grasp... ;)
Hmmm... :p

Divine_Light said:
I think the word to describe Giratina and the Ruined/Torn World, rather than evil, Is ominous.

[Does Torn World being above Mt. Coronet play apart?]

The reason Giratina attacked is because the Inversed Universe was polluted by the effect of Dialga and Palkia's Battle. And Giratina later seeks to finish it's battle with Dialga in the 12th Movie [Anime].
Cyrus disturbed Giratina in trying to control Dialga and Palkia [Game].

^Not to sure about the game one due to the fact that I don't have the game, I've just seen loads of walk/playthroughs.

Perhaps ominous would be a better way to describe it - that's a very good point. It seems to have no truly evil intentions, and simply reacts to the negative actions of others. I guess we'll have to see if Movie #12 tells why it was originally banished to the Ruined World, as its "violent behavior" may have been its only act of rage, and it may have learned its lesson by now? (I know that sounds silly, but I guess it could be a possibility.)

I think it is because of the game's theme (ex. Hoenn-Astronomy-Deoxys and Jirachi from space and Kyogre and Groudon are said to have created the Earth(Land-Water)).

I guess it could be either the Devil or Oboma, depending on how evil it is. But I believe that Girantina may represent 'the devil' (along with a million other pagan related things) and Arcues represents Lucifer as 'the being of light'. Haha read the book of Revelation's and you may see a quite good comparison!

Giratina is the exact opposite of Arcues. So, Giratina is an anti-god, or the devil

This is a theory that has never really occurred to me. Interesting observations! It seems like introducing such a climactic event would kind of render the Pokémon franchise... finished? We'd be at that "know all" stage.

It'll be interesting when Arceus is actually released. It's funny how they set the information up in games like that, and seem to expect to keep them secret so that they can 'reveal' it later. Arceus has a huge fanbase for a Pokémon that supposedly doesn't even exist! :D

Since Giratina is the a world opposite to the Pokemon world, it's like Arceus, only anti.

Hmmm.. it may be the representation of the devil.
Also has anyone noticed something in giratina´s origin forme:
OriginFormeGiratina.png

Still don,t see it? 6 wings,6 ribs and 6 feet, 0_º too much for a coincidence :F

Light Manaphy said:
Hmmm.. it may be the representation of the devil.
Also has anyone noticed something in giratina´s origin forme:
OriginFormeGiratina.png

Still don,t see it? 6 wings,6 ribs and 6 feet, 0_º too much for a coincidence :F

:O Oh! I'd never noticed that before - very interesting! :3

Three 6's symbolize evil. And since Giratina has 3 wings, ribs and feet, that fits perfectly.

Giratine is as much the devil as I am, my birthday once landing on 06/06/06, being born at 7:06, or,in hours and minutes, 6:66, first locker number assigned 666, once found 666 dollars, average shots fired in a shooter 666, oh, and let's not forget, 666 twice in my laptop's serial number.

Oh, and in my HS Bible History class, my total points were 666.

So if arceus,the "God" pokemon goes all out with Giratina...

End of Pokemon????

Bleh..Why did palkia and dialga fight each other anyway..

Ryuu7 said:
So if arceus,the "God" pokemon goes all out with Giratina...

End of Pokemon????

Well, it'll be the end of this chapter of Pokémon, but it's very easy for them to make other Legendaries and just let their stories unfold. (Remember, just because a "God" and "Devil" fight in Pokémon, it doesn't mean that has to be the end of it, since it's an ever-expanding game. Something so epic could happen and yet later something else will happen, despite the first event happening. Events in the Movies never spell the end for Pokémon, and the series just picks up as if nothing ever happened.)

I'm not quite sure why the two began fighting, but they were never meant to meet each other (sorry I don't quite remember the exact wording), so maybe they just had some anger building inside and needed a release? Maybe when they were created by Arceus, the hostility towards one another was instinct? I'm not sure.

And to Dictator Dauntless: >_>; That is very, very strange...

Xous said:
How do you think this will play out in Movie #12 (of course, if Arceus is indeed appearing in this one, which is most likely)?

There are two possibilities:

1). Giratina will just be "trying to do the right thing."

Or,

2). Giratina will be nothing more than a big bad monster that the gang must stand in awe before as it lobs Hyper Beam after Hyper Beam at some other big bad monster.

Also, I would suggest you change the name of the thread to: "Giratina - Pokemon Counterpart of the Devi?" so people don't get the idea that this is a thread about comparing Pokemon to devil worship. :x

Yes, I'm surprised that hasn't been done by now. Leave it to Ash to say "Wow! What power!", about a Pokemon that is sort of an anti-Arceus.

Interesting ideas on giratina being a devil. Yes, these points are highly logical and intelligent and I'd agree, giratina is somewhat of an anti-arceus/anti-god. The thing is as someone previously stated, it matches the new "theme" of DPPt, the idea of creation, how the pokemon world started. Palkia made space, Dialga starts time, the lake trio made humans and Arceus is the god of it all. This is a theme but do not confuse this as a fact. Giratina is supposedly the dark and ominous pokemon that should be a counterpart of Arceus in the Torn world as the ruler of the torn world but in the movie he wasn't the evil entity. I think that yes he is based on the devil, but in fact is not.

Ryuu7 said:

Because the writers told them to.

On Topic: very interesting yada yada yada

Dont post in threads that have not been posted in for more then two weeks. Thank you

-Pride

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back