Ghost Type?

Hxxmaniac

Aspiring Trainer
So with the new Dragon type that came out, and the Fairy type, anyone else think the next best type to roll out would be a Ghost Type? I mean considering they made fairy it's own type along with Dragon, I think ghost is definitely it's own type to have it's own energy and set base. Like most ghost pokemon are dual types anyway, so making a specific type for them would be so handy to using most ghost types altogether in their own deck. Most Ghost type pokemon are like dual psychic/dark. There's also a lot of ghost pokemon now.

Idk, just a thought. Really hoping to see this, especially considering they made a fairy type. It seems like the only other logical Type set. There aren't a lot of other types that should have it's own specific set.

Last edited:
Yeah, I'm pretty miffed that "psychic" energy covers 3 types of Pokemon, and in regards to poison types it only really makes sense because of the color :/ I'd love to see ghost get it's own energy type, I just don't know how well that would work mechanically, if it would just be a basic energy type or something special.

I doubt ghost will make a debut as a new type. I reckon changing it will cause a bit of confusion, especially in older sets, and is fairly unnecessary. Fairy was obviously going to get a new type/be added to one, so it's not like it will confuse things. Dragon was a bit odd as [C] type anyways, especially as its weakness included Dragons, Flying and Normal. The new change also allowed for the energy cost mechanic, which would also be awkward otherwise. Ghost, on the other hand, is really only weird because it is super effective on Poison and does resistance to Steel, but even then, types like Bug and Ice are in similar circumstances. Thus, I don't think it is really necessary to alter Ghost's type in the TCG.

Ghost is one of the two types I specifically NEVER want to see as a standalone type in the TCG, along with Ice. It's far too small a type, and gives Psychic its only source of weakness diversity (barring Swoobat, Xatu, and Crobat). If I were to split anything off of Psychic, I'd move Poison to Darkness or something. And even that is probably unnecessary.

Keep in mind that Dragon and Fairy are special cases. They both would have likely (and in Dragon's case, was for a long time) ended up in the Colorless type, where they would never hit anything for weakness. It's clear they, quite rightly, didn't like the Dragons being weak to Colorless (because Dragons are weak to Dragon in the games) because Colorless was positioned as the "neutral" type. It doesn't make sense for the neutral type to have any more than the most basic type relations, and the lack of weakness later Colorless Dragons had was also not ideal.

Also, if anything, the TCG has too MANY types, not too few. Types like Darkness, Metal, Lightning and Fire are already very small. How would adding more types, especially small ones like Ghost, help the game in any way? I could potentially see some arguments for Bug, Rock/Ground or Poison, as they belong to large types and Bug and Poison also share their other grouped type's weaknesses, but I still don't really see any reason to change these either.

Back