Getting ready for Cities

RogueChomp said:
alexmf2 said:
Sadly, it's not as simple as that.

Obviously. Reshiboar and Gothitelle Reuniclus could fit somewhere but will never again b viable. I'm just sayin in this meta every top tier deck has a weakness, but that doesnt mean it shouldnt be played.

That's not what I meant, lol. Reshiboar and Gothitelle aren't decks. The reason Eels is not one of the top 6 decks you should be testing against is because it has no good matchups against any of them. Eels is tier 2-2.5.

Azurial said:
Thanks for the great suggestions guys :)

So far my training schedual is looking like this

Test against:
Darkrai/Hydreigon
EelQuaza
Darkrai/Terrakion
Mewtwo/Terrakion
Blastiose/Keldeo
Fighting

Now the deck I'm working on is already good at taking down Darkrai/Hydreigon as I understand that it really needs those Dragons to get going asap or the whole thing fails. I played Eel variants for most of the year so playing around those is fairly easy, but I still tested against it and am fairly confident it's going to be a favorable matchup for me (maybe 60/40 - 70/30 in my favor), so the biggest issue I can possibly foresee is Blastoise.

Has any one done any extensive testing with it yet? If so, how often can you get the Turn Two turtle AND all of the energy you need. I don't yet have the cards I need to build it (short on the Keldy department), and I want to know how much effort I need to put into it before I even consider going after the ponies.

-EelQuaza
+Mewtwo/Eels

Anyway, I've done heavy testing with Keldeo/Blastoise. T2 Blastoise isn't that difficult if you have a good list. The entire deck pretty much revolves around having a good list. Running 3 Skyla, 2-3 Cilan, and tons of extra techs like Kyurem NV are what cause Blastoise to be bad. As long as you forget the techs and just go all-out Keldeo and Mewtwo, it's not bad.

That being said, Mewtwo EX is the deck's worst nightmare. It has an extremely difficult time winning Mewtwo wars and you have to fear putting too much energy on Keldeo constantly. It also can die very easily and it's late game tends to be pretty bad, due to N completely destroying it at the end of the game. It's a good deck, but probably not higher then Tier 1.5.

Blah said:
Azurial said:
Thanks for the great suggestions guys :)

So far my training schedual is looking like this

Test against:
Darkrai/Hydreigon
EelQuaza
Darkrai/Terrakion
Mewtwo/Terrakion
Blastiose/Keldeo
Fighting

Now the deck I'm working on is already good at taking down Darkrai/Hydreigon as I understand that it really needs those Dragons to get going asap or the whole thing fails. I played Eel variants for most of the year so playing around those is fairly easy, but I still tested against it and am fairly confident it's going to be a favorable matchup for me (maybe 60/40 - 70/30 in my favor), so the biggest issue I can possibly foresee is Blastoise.

Has any one done any extensive testing with it yet? If so, how often can you get the Turn Two turtle AND all of the energy you need. I don't yet have the cards I need to build it (short on the Keldy department), and I want to know how much effort I need to put into it before I even consider going after the ponies.

-EelQuaza
+Mewtwo/Eels

Anyway, I've done heavy testing with Keldeo/Blastoise. T2 Blastoise isn't that difficult if you have a good list. The entire deck pretty much revolves around having a good list. Running 3 Skyla, 2-3 Cilan, and tons of extra techs like Kyurem NV are what cause Blastoise to be bad. As long as you forget the techs and just go all-out Keldeo and Mewtwo, it's not bad.

That being said, Mewtwo EX is the deck's worst nightmare. It has an extremely difficult time winning Mewtwo wars and you have to fear putting too much energy on Keldeo constantly. It also can die very easily and it's late game tends to be pretty bad, due to N completely destroying it at the end of the game. It's a good deck, but probably not higher then Tier 1.5.
Just look at the regionals results. Mewtwo/Eels won 1 (maybe 0, I'm not sure), where Rayquaza/Eels won 3-4 (again, not 100% sure). Eels/Rayquaza also doesn't die to Mewtwo.

pokemonjoe said:
Blah said:
-EelQuaza
+Mewtwo/Eels

Just look at the regionals results. Mewtwo/Eels won 1 (maybe 0, I'm not sure), where Rayquaza/Eels won 3-4 (again, not 100% sure). Eels/Rayquaza also doesn't die to Mewtwo.

....I was discussing two separate topics. Keldeo/Blastoise dies to Mewtwo, not Rayquaza, and I understand that Rayquaza was very very good for Regionals. However, with Landorus EX running amuck, Rayquaza has an extremely difficult time keeping the Eels going which kinda makes the deck fall apart.

Blah said:
pokemonjoe said:

....I was discussing two separate topics. Keldeo/Blastoise dies to Mewtwo, not Rayquaza, and I understand that Rayquaza was very very good for Regionals. However, with Landorus EX running amuck, Rayquaza has an extremely difficult time keeping the Eels going which kinda makes the deck fall apart.
I was referring to when you said -Rayeels +MewtwoEels.
Rayeels usually will have taken enough prizes with Rayquaza EX before the Eels have gone down so it can swing with littlequaza to finish off Landorus. MewtwoEels has a hard time pumping out large amounts of damage, and usually has to run another lightning attacker, making it weaker to Landorus EX. And Rayquaza can have an easier job against Blastoise/Keldeo because a smart Keldeo player will manage their energy so they won't get ko'd by Mewtwo. It should also be noted that there needs to be 9 energy between Keldeo and Mewtwo in order for Keldeo to be one-shotted by Mewtwo.

pokemonjoe said:
Blah said:
Rayeels usually will have taken enough prizes with Rayquaza EX before the Eels have gone down so it can swing with littlequaza to finish off Landorus. MewtwoEels has a hard time pumping out large amounts of damage, and usually has to run another lightning attacker, making it weaker to Landorus EX. And Rayquaza can have an easier job against Blastoise/Keldeo because a smart Keldeo player will manage their energy so they won't get ko'd by Mewtwo. It should also be noted that there needs to be 9 energy between Keldeo and Mewtwo in order for Keldeo to be one-shotted by Mewtwo.

I have to dissagree on the Mewtwo/Eels not being able to output damage. I played it at regionals last spring (in fact I think I was the only one and a video link to my original list is here) and I was getting between 140 to (in some cases) 600+ damage out in a single turn.

As for the latter part, about Keldeo, I cant say for certain. It seems like a good start for Mewtwo Eels would be all it takes to throw conservation out of the window.

Azurial said:
pokemonjoe said:

I have to dissagree on the Mewtwo/Eels not being able to output damage. I played it at regionals last spring (in fact I think I was the only one and a video link to my original list is here) and I was getting between 140 to (in some cases) 600+ damage out in a single turn.

As for the latter part, about Keldeo, I cant say for certain. It seems like a good start for Mewtwo Eels would be all it takes to throw conservation out of the window.
Yes, but that was last spring. The only way to get 140 damage consistently is against another Mewtwo, in which case they respond with a Mewtwo of their own, etc. Everyone's familiar with Mewtwo wars. What was your record with this deck?

pokemonjoe said:
Azurial said:

Yes, but that was last spring. The only way to get 140 damage consistently is against another Mewtwo, in which case they respond with a Mewtwo of their own, etc. Everyone's familiar with Mewtwo wars. What was your record with this deck?

Due to my over zealousness I missed top cut by one game going 5-3. The reason being is I played two supporters in a single turn out of sheer eargerness. It was a very tense game where I was winning, and just slipped up. I got a PONT off of Sages and thats when I went fuzzy. Embarrassing to admit it, but it happened. I called a Judge over after I realized what happened and conceded the game.

Back