Getting back into Pokemon TCG

BOATS MAGEE

I AM VERY LARGE
A THESIS ON THE ORIGIN OF PICKING A POKEMON DECK

Alright.

So a couple of my friends and I got out our old pokemon cards from way back when and decided to mess around and battle a little bit. Now we decided we're each going to buy a deck and some booster packs and get some good games going, and get some new cards.

So now I'm deciding which deck to buy, and possibly which boosters to buy as well.

The main thing I'm looking for in a deck is enabling the use of a new color deck- right now, I have {R}, {F}, {W}, {G}, and some assorted {P} and {C}. I have like 5 {L} energies/pokemon. I have one {D} energy, like 5 {D} types, and one Aron (no {M} energy).

Generally to make a decent deck of a type I need at least 20 energy (maybe like 12ish if I'm making a two-type deck), one 3-stage (IE Charizard-Charmeleon-Charmander), and one 2-stage (IE Arcanine-Growlithe). More is better obviously, my fighting deck I was using to play my friends had Tyranitar, Machamp, Kabutops, and Marowak lines, but I think at least one 3-stage and at least one 2-stage is a must.

I am eternally set as far as {R} and {F} go, especially {R}. Charizards, Tyranitars, Machamps, Typhlosions, Blazikens, Arcanines, Ninetales, Marowaks, Groudon and more. For {W} my only 3-stage is Swampert, who is eh, but I have plenty of energy and 2-stages. For {G} I have a fake Venusaur from a vending machine, and an Italian Jumpluff. And many many 2-stages + energy. Things I would like would be a Golem, Blastoise, or Crobat, as I have many of the prevos for them. Other than that those need no help.

For {P}, I have two Claydol + four Baltoys, 3 different Kadabras (but only two Abra), one Haunter with three different Gastly, and like 5 random Slowpokes. I have like 20ish energy- enough, but some more would be nice. Basically what this means is I would love a Gengar or Alakazam deck like a newborn child. Slowbro/Slowking would be a nice bonus. With either Gengar or Alakazam + some Abra and Haunter back-up, I think I could run a {P} deck. And that would be cool. On an unrelated note it has always been my dream to own an awesome Mewtwo card.

For {L}, I have two Magneton and two Magnemite, and some Pikachu. And like 15ish energy. It's pretty unusable right now, even as part of a two-type deck. A deck with a 3-stage, 2-stage, and some energy would be SIMPLY DIVINE.

For {C} I have a smorgasbord of random things. A Zangoose, a Miltank, some Jigglypuffs. A couple of 2-stages. I have a Dragonite, but only one Dragonair, and the Dragonair needs {W} and {L} for it's attacks, which sucks, because it means I can only use it in a {W}{L} deck. I also have two {D} Dragonair and a {D} Dragonite, who need no {D} energy to attack. But they both need {W} AND {L} again. So that sucks a lot, because that's very constraining. TRAGIC.

Now {D}. I have several dual-type {D}'s, but my only ones that actually need {D} energy are two Poochyena and three holographic Mightyena. And they're not that great, really. However, I think I could pull off a {D}{F} deck if I had some more {D} types who actually use {D} energy, and also just some energy. I only have one. I have a {D}{F} Tyranitar, Pupitar, Marowak, and Groudon. A feasible {D} deck would be cool.

As far as {M} goes I only have an Aron and a {G}{M} Crobat. No energy, no pokemon other than that. Rough. This would basically be a fresh start.

TL;DR

I need a deck that has one or more of the following:
-Lots of {D} Energy and pokemon families.
-Lots of {M} Energy and pokemon families.
-Some {L} Energy and pokemon families.
-Some {P} Energy and pokemon families.
-A Gengar
-An Alakazam
-A Mewtwo

Help me.

UNDER CONSIDERATION

Shadowquake {P}{W}
+ GENGAR YEAAAAHHH
+ {P} Energy
- Everything else sucks

Powerhouse {L}{F}
+ {L} Energy
+ Ampharos, Electivire, and Electrode lines, all of which are half-decent.
+ ELECTIVIRE YEAAAHHH
- I really don't need any more {F}

Metal Surge {M}{G}
+10 {M} Energy
+METAGROSS YEAAHHHHHHH
-Heatran booooo
-Heatran would be holo, not Metagross
-{G} stuff isn't really needed
-Only 10 {M} Energy

Eternal Time {M}{F}
+ A whopping 18 {M} energy
-Everything else is bad
-Outclassed by Metal Surge except for in quantity of {M} energy

Bombardment {W}{F}
+MAMOSWINE YEAHHHHHHHH
+Would make my very strong {F} repertoire even stronger- nice cards
+Regigigas is not too shabby!
-I don't need {W} or {F}- would not enable any new type decks

Dark Rampage {D}{F}
+ Only recent deck with {D} energy, and 13 isn't bad
+ That Tyranitar does not mess around
- Not many {D} types- only Tyranitar, Stuntank, and Stunky
- I already have a Tyranitar, not too exciting

Mind Flood {W}{P}
+ FERALIGATR YEEEAAHHHH
+ Slowbro
+ Some {P} energy and pokemon
- Slowbro is {W}, not {P}
- No 3-stage {P}

That was longer than expected.

PARTING WORDS

First off, this is just for playing with friends. We're all using really old cards. I don't need cards above the cut-off for tournament play. Everything goes.

Going with that, I'm not looking for cards that are used in certain strategies that are super amazing or whatever. I'm not getting into tournament metagame. I mean, good cards are nice, and if one of the decks is full of completely terrible cards do tell me, but other than that I don't need cards that will work to form decks already made up by tournament players. I'm just making my own deck, no incredibly advanced strategy.

Finally finally, if you can recommend a set to buy boosters from, do tell. One that has lots of what I'm looking for, or has good chances to get some holos, or whatever. I TRUST YOU POKEMON TCG GURUS.

FIN

Also I'm not sure if this is in the right section. It seemed like the best match, it's not really a deck concept. If it's in the wrong section then go ahead and move it, sorry!

Sorry to break it to you, but you are taking an aweful approach at building a deck. Good decks(competitive or not) are based around just 1 pokemon. The rest of the cards you use are cards that support or help you get out the pokemon your deck is based on. That means you are generally going to want 4 copies of the main pokemon. Also, your energy should be the amount you need to attack with everyone of your copies of your main pokemon plus about 1 or 2. Everything else should be trainers, supporters, and stadiums. So in the end , you will have about 20-25 pokemon, 6-14 energy, and the rest would be trainers.

Get Shadow Quake with Storm Front boosters so you can hopefully get this Gengar from this set [18\100]. If you do get this I suggest takeing out all water energy and reinforceing your {P} pokemon lines [mainly Gengar]. If not I suggest you get dark Rampage because it gives you dark stufff and you already have a T-tar to plat it with. With this I suggest you get SF any way so you can get some good dark pokemon like the other T-tar and Sablye.

Use this with what James said and try not to put more than 14 energy in your deck.

Hope I helped,
CC

GHJamesGH said:
Sorry to break it to you, but you are taking an aweful approach at building a deck. Good decks(competitive or not) are based around just 1 pokemon. The rest of the cards you use are cards that support or help you get out the pokemon your deck is based on. That means you are generally going to want 4 copies of the main pokemon. Also, your energy should be the amount you need to attack with everyone of your copies of your main pokemon plus about 1 or 2. Everything else should be trainers, supporters, and stadiums. So in the end , you will have about 20-25 pokemon, 6-14 energy, and the rest would be trainers.

There is pretty much no possible way I am going to acquire four of the same Stage 2 pokemon. I don't think I even have a single rare that I have doubles of. Especially not my old cards. I'm pretty sure base set holographic Machamps are hard to come by.

Humor me. My friends won't have 4 copies of anything either, so we'll be equally bad.

CommonCandy said:
Get Shadow Quake with Storm Front boosters so you can hopefully get this Gengar from this set [18\100]. If you do get this I suggest takeing out all water energy and reinforceing your {P} pokemon lines [mainly Gengar]. If not I suggest you get dark Rampage because it gives you dark stufff and you already have a T-tar to plat it with. With this I suggest you get SF any way so you can get some good dark pokemon like the other T-tar and Sablye.

Use this with what James said and try not to put more than 14 energy in your deck.

Hope I helped,
CC

Stormfront did pop out to me when I was looking at sets. I'm not really interested in the Arceus set or any sets that have FB, C, GL, E4, etc pokemon. Playing down evolved pokemon as basics seems unfair in some way. Part of the fun is the build up to having your awesome stage-2 come out. So far HGSS, Unleashed, Stormfront, and maybe Platinum are looking nice. I'm just afraid with Platinum I'll end up with a bunch of Gen 4 pokemon that I can't work with. I have no Gen 4 cards, they're all pre-DP. That's why things like Electivire, Magmortar, and Mamoswine are nice. I can still evolve them from my old cards (though I don't think I have any Piloswine...).

As far as the energy goes, I'll try it and see how it works out. I just would rather have an abundance of energy than a drought. Of course that means less chances to draw my pokemon though.

Also, if it matters, right now my friends and I are playing 70 card decks. 60 was a bit small for us to fit everything we wanted in, and 80 was too big.

GHJamesGH said:
Sorry to break it to you, but you are taking an aweful approach at building a deck. Good decks(competitive or not) are based around just 1 pokemon. The rest of the cards you use are cards that support or help you get out the pokemon your deck is based on.
LuxChomp? SabLock? But I do agree with you that you dont use so many main attackers in MOST meta decks.

Why be limited in terms of energy? Go to a prerelease. They will give you all the energy you could possibly need to make ANY deck!!!

Silvermakimore said:
Why be limited in terms of energy? Go to a prerelease. They will give you all the energy you could possibly need to make ANY deck!

You do realise that you have to give the energy back at the end of a prerelease....

Back