• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Gengar/Talonflame Deck Build Help

Jake00d

Aspiring Trainer
after running Gengar and M-Alakazam I find it's weakness is not being able to dish out damage.
Instead relying on damage counters and then creep show etc.

So my new plan would be to take out the Mega': etc and replace them so the deck looks like this:

Pokemon 16:
4 talonflame
3 hoopa (NOT EX)
3 gastly
3 haunter
3 Gengar

Trainer 32:
4 sycamore
3 N
2 Lysander
4 Chaos Tower
1 Teammates
1 Skyla

2 VS seeker
2 Trainer Mail
2 fighting fury belt
3 rare candy
4 ultra ball
1 super rod
1 escape rope
1 town map
1 random receiver

Energy 10:
10 Psychic

2 free space.

So it begins with relying on getting talonflame, attach an energy then attack for 40,
Then search for 2 cards needed (a gastly/Gengar/rare candy etc). Talonflame should have enough health to survive a turn or two.
Then Gengar can step up for creep show as they're on 40 damage. Talonflame and Gengar both free retreat which helps.
Hoopa is there for back up if I don't get talonflame. 1 energy can do 20 damage to 2 Pokemon, adding fighting fury enables 30 damage to the active. Also boosting his HP to 170. Making him pretty formidable. If I do get 3 energy on him he can deal 130. With 130 or 170 health it's enough time to build up Gengar and creep show. I can also stalk people with haunter and chaos tower.

Would love some feedback as I may run this at my first tournament on Saturday :)

Awesome list, I've always loved Gengar as a deck in itself, and without the bats, I believe it is still viable. However, the purpose of Talonflame decks is to lessen the amount of basic pokemon you play to boost the chances of starting with Talonflame. I would play either no Talonflame or no Hoopa, depending on your preference. In addition, I would also play the Silent Lab stadium. This prevents your opponent from getting an explosive setup, allowing you to play the slower setup game. In addition, adding means of disruption, such as Delinquent, is also recommended.

Hey,

Thanks for that. I was thinking of switching Chaos for Faded town - add 2 damage counters to any Mega sets them up for creep show fairly quickly.
Also given what you said about Talonflame, i'll probably take out 2 hoopa but keep one in for back up?
Delinquent was a thought too, i've some free space so will give it a whirl!

Better get practicing with it....

I agree with the above poster that if you want to run Talonflame you should drop the hoopa's. I know it's an evolution, but I would consider throwing in a 2-2 galvantula line for the double thread. What would probably be an alternate solution might be throwing in a team magma base or 2. Less bulky then an evolution line and Gengar would only need to use the first attack once to get 30 across the bench with the base in play. You could also drop the talonflame's to include all of them, or maybe just for some level balls to get the evoutions out quickly. I'd love to try a deck like this too.

Btw, if you haven't tested Alakazam-Hoopa yet, I'd would suggest checking that - it's much faster than Gengar (which opponents can easily see coming and possibly counter).

For your above list, consider adding opponent's hand disruption cards like Delinquent and/or Judge.

Back