• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Standard Gengar EX / Wobbuffet

Ivy_Profen

Aspiring Trainer
I was looking for a deck that both didn't play Shaymin and stopped the use of Shaymin. That being Wobbuffet or Silent Lab. I decided on Gengar EX Wobbuffet as it does both pretty well.

Pokemon:
  • 3 Gengar EX
  • 4 Wobbuffet PHF
  • 3 unown AOS
Trainer:
  • 3 Professor Sycamore
  • 3 Tierno
  • 2 Shauna
  • 2 Lysandre
  • 1 Professor Birch's Observations
  • 1 Teammates
  • 3 VS Seeker
  • 3 Trainers' Mail
  • 4 Ultra Ball
  • 4 Robo Substitute
  • 3 Switch
  • 3 Muscle Band
  • 2 Lucky Helmet
  • 2 Enhanced Hammer
  • 4 Dimensional Valley
Energy:
  • 6 Psychic Energy
  • 4 Mystery Energy
Strategy:

Standard hit and run with Gengar /Wobbuffet. It blocks abilities, mainly Shaymin Ex's Set Up turn 1. 3 Unown to increase consistency and the ability is not blocked by Wobbuffet's ability.

I know you took a look at the list and I first thought the same thing. Isn't Tierno bad? Simply it works pretty well in this deck as a whole. First Wobbuffet is always going to be in the active taking hits and stop abilities. Why not throw a Lucky Helmet and draw 2 extra cards that for next turn? So lets say I end with 3 cards in hand and Wobbuffet in the active with a helmet. He takes a hit and dies. I then draw 2 cards for the hit, 1 card from my turn and 3 more for Tierno bringing my hand to 9. With teammates, I can still draw 3 cards for that turn and then pull 2 from the deck. Imagine if that was a Robo Sub who took the hit and i had Unown sitting on my bench.

This draw engine allows me to hoard a bunch of cards. Being special energies, switches, Dimensional Valley, Hammers, etc. All while my opponent suffers from low draw support and Shaymin that do nothing.

Main problem with this deck is that i don't know what to do against Regice. With 120 hp and possible immunity to Gengar. Any suggestions for that? I was thinking Deoxys, but I'm not sure what to take out.

Last edited:
I like your reasoning for your draw engine. Personally I think focusing on the draw supporters rather than hand refresh supporters is an interesting idea and I am interested in testing it out as well. My largest concern with this list is the lack of Trevenant. I believe Trevenant is almost too strong in this format to leave out, especially with so many decks focusing around non-EX attackers.

If we use your deck list as an example, we can see that you have 2 copies Lysandre and 3 VS Seekers which means a total of 5 possible Lysandre plays. Against a hit and run deck having the option of your opponent playing upwards of 5 Lysandre is too many, so the item lock is almost necessary. I am guessing that you are not playing Trevenant because of the lack of Float Stone, which is a solid reason, but have you considered instead running escape ropes and energy switches along with Trevenant? I have found that Trevenant is a pretty strong attacker and with the combination of Dimensional Valley it can attack for cheep while allowing you to apply pressure to the bench.

I was thinking. I just don't really know how to fit it. That and I really need to start with wobuffet to stop those shaymin. If not this deck will probably get destroyed.

I could drop the unown but they provide needed draw supporter.

I could drop the Robo Subs but they make the match up vs bees much better since they don't give up prizes and nothings going to take a hit from them well.

Last edited:
I was thinking. I just don't really know how to fit it. That and I really need to start with wobuffet to stop those shaymin. If not this deck will probably get destroyed.

I could drop the unown but they provide needed draw supporter.

I could drop the Robo Subs but they make the match up vs bees much better since they don't give up prizes and nothings going to take a hit from them well.

I see, well if that is the plan then I agree with you. Really you can take either approach for this deck and that is just another reason I like it so much. Currently I have found the Trevenant version stronger but I am sure that either version will be sufficient.

I am definitely going to try your deck list and see what I find. Have you considered running scared ash? That would recycle your Unown and Wobbuffet and possibly add more consistency.

I was thinking about it. I did drop a Robo Sub for a deoxys. But i rather have something that hits a bit harder.

As for the ash. Idk how much needed it is. What would you take out for it?

I was thinking about it. I did drop a Robo Sub for a deoxys. But i rather have something that hits a bit harder.

As for the ash. Idk how much needed it is. What would you take out for it?

I have not play tested with Lucky Helmet much, so that is my first choice but it is really up to you. You may be able to drop a Wobbuffet since you will have a way to recover them.

What if you replaced the 4 Robos with a 2-2 Dragalge (Dragalge keeps the poisoned Defending Pokémon from retreating) line? Should you be able to attack the Regice (or any other Defending Pokémon) with Dark Corridor, your Gengar EX then spins back to the bench, and you then promote Wobbuffet who can then possibly use Psychic Assault to KO the Regice.

The problem is hitting that regice that first time. If it previously attacked. Then gengar can't touch it.

What if you replaced the 4 Robos with a 2-2 Dragalge (Dragalge keeps the poisoned Defending Pokémon from retreating) line? Should you be able to attack the Regice (or any other Defending Pokémon) with Dark Corridor, your Gengar EX then spins back to the bench, and you then promote Wobbuffet who can then possibly use Psychic Assault to KO the Regice.

Regice's attack prevents all effect of attacks, including damage, done from Pokemon EX.
Dragalge is not a bad idea to pair with Gengar EX, but it ultimately does not help the strategy of this deck, since the focus is Wobbuffet.

Regice's attack prevents all effect of attacks, including damage, done from Pokemon EX.
I did state "should you be able to attack the Regice..." as a prerequisite. With the E Hammers, bad draws, etc., Regice could possibly be nullified before it can attack using Resistance Blizzard.

Back