• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Gengar EX / Wailord EX

TheKreisChild

Online Pokegod
Pokemon: 9

• 3 Gengar EX (PHF)
    3 Wailord EX (PRC)
    2 Reshiram (LTR)
    1 Jirachi EX (PLB)
Trainers/Supporters/Stadiums:41

• 1 Scoop Up Cyclone

2 AZ
    2 Colress
    2 Lysandre
    1 Lysandre's Trump Card
    4 N
    2 Pokemon Center Lady
    4 Professor Sycamore

2 Enhanced Hammer
    1 Escape Rope
    1 Robo Substitute
    3 Super Scoop Up
    2 Switch
    1 Tool Retriever
    3 Ultra Ball
    3 VS Seeker
    2 Float Stone
    3 Muscle Band

2 Virbank City Gym
Energy:10

• 6 Psychic Energy
    4 Double Colorless Energy
Background:
This is my first draft of this deck and so far it has been very successful winning lots of games without my opponent taking more than two prize cards. I first saw a deck like this while playing in a online tournament finals match which I lost against while playing a Seismitoad Garbodor deck. It really intrigued me so I decided to make it myself and post it here to see what kind of feedback I can get. :)
Strategy

Pokemon:
Gengar EX:
The whole point of the deck is very similar to a Donphan deck just with Gengar ex the opponent gets poisoned, other than that all you do is just switch your active Pokemon with a benched Pokemon.
Wailord EX:
After you attack this will be the Pokemon you want to switch into. But only if you have a float stone on it or a switch because wailord has a 4 retreat cost. Why Wailord you say, well 250HP is insane for a basic EX and can almost never be Knocked Out in one hit. So essentially you are dealing 60-80 damage plus poison then throwing up a wall for your opponent to try and knock down. ]
Reshiram:
Reshiram is kind of an awkward card in this deck not going to lie. Reshiram is here just to deal with safeguard Pokemon and helps with the Virizion Genesect match up since Wailord is weak to grass (saying that a Genesect needs a muscle band and a Deoxys to OHKO it). You can just throw up reshiram have it take a hit from a verdant wind or a megalo cannon then OHKO a Virizion or Genesect. A possible substitute for Reshiram would be Zekrom because you could do the same thing except hit Yveltal EX for weakness. It depends on personal preference and which one you are most worried about playing.
Jirachi EX:
Jirachi EX is apretty much a staple in every deck currently and for good reason. Its ability is great for constancy and helps getting out of a tight spot. Unfortunately on PTCGO Jirachi is becoming very expensive with the rise in popularity but it has saved my butt many times in this deck.

Trainers/Supporters/Stadiums:
For these I will group a few and also not make each analysis to long because they seem to be fairly trivial trainers in a deck like this.
N/Sycamore/Colress
All are draw supporters helping drawing cards with both N and Colress being great late game supporters because they can either put your opponent to a small hand size or if there are lots of pokemon on the bench you can get up to 10 cards.
Pokemon Center Lady/AZ
These help Heal not only your Wailords but can heal any Pokemon or even let you use Jirachi again in the case of AZ.
Lysandre (and his trump card)
Lysandre is a very good card that can help you pick off an opponents Jirachi Ex off the bench or any Pokemon for that matter. Its a very essential card for this deck because you most likely wont be getting too many OHKOs. Lysandre's Trump Card is also very essential because it shuffles all your used scoop ups and float stones etc. back into your deck to use again and will prevent you from decking out.
Vs Seeker
speaking of supporters Vs seeker is a great card to use to get a used supporter or a Trump Card from the discard pile.
Scoop up items
These are the same as an AZ except you get to keep all cards attached to your Pokemon which helps because I only run 2 float stones. Sadly for Super Scoop Up there is a coin flip involved but it would be broken to have 4 Scoop Up Cyclones that require no coin flip.
Tool Retriever
This card helps if your Wailord is about to get knocked out and you want to save the float stone or if you are going to AZ a Wailord you can escape from discarding the Float Stone.
Switching cards and Robo Substitute
These are pretty self explanatory they help you switch out if you get lysandred up or if your Wailord is stuck in the active. Robo Substitute is also a good card that you can throw up that will not give up a prize card when Knocked Out. It's a good substitute for Wailord if you don't have one out or it is about to be Knocked Out.
Tools
Float stones are pretty self explanatory just put it on a Wailord and now you can retreat freely dodging that hefty 4 retreat cost. Muscle band is really good in this deck because 60 isn't that much damage so making it 80 plus a possible 30 with a Virbank makes the attack much better and frankly usable. Also the muscle band makes it possible to OHKO a Mewtwo EX because it will do 160 with the weakness then the poison will knock it out between turns.
Miscellaneous
I put Enhanced hammer is there for mostly DCE on Yveltal or Mewtwo and strong energy for Hawlucha Landorus etc. but of course can be used for any special energy. Also ultra ball is just to get any Pokemon including Jirachi so you can get a supporter which is nice for consistency. Virbank City Gym is a very good card and really helps this combo out because putting 3 counters per turn instead 1 really makes a big difference. Although Virbanks are pretty pricey now they are an absolute must in decks with poison.
Energy:
The energy is pretty simple 6 psychic for Gengar's Dark Corridor attack and 4 DCE for both of Gengar's attacks and for powering up Reshiram.

Thank You!
Thank you all for your comments and advice and I hope others will play this deck or at least take inspiration! This is my first post on PokeBeach and definitely will not be my last so if you could give me suggestions on what I could do better that would be really cool! Hope you all have a great day!

Bye :p
Joe (TheKreisChild)

RedDistrict101 said:
I like the wailord idea, but wouldn't a safegard pokemon be easier?

Yes but with popular decks like flareon and night march who run minimal if any attacking exs I feel a big 250HP behemoth would be a better wall.

I made a deck like this. It uses wailord and robosub while garbodor locks off abilities. Basically instead of trying to get a lock it focuses on prize denial.

thedemonbarber said:
I would use max potions with that wailord to make that wall more effective.
I feel scoop up cards are more effective because if you don't have a switch or float stone it's still stick there. And AZ helps when item locked.

Back