• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Gengar EX / Dragalge / Sigilyph

kei122292

Aspiring Trainer
Pokemon: 16

• 3 Gengar EX PHF
    1 M Gengar EX PHF
    2 Sigilyph LTR
    2 Duskull FLF
    1 Dusclops FLF
    2 Dusknoir BCR
    1 Wobbuffet PHF
    1 Reshiram LTR RC22
    1 Skrelp FLF
    1 Dragalge FLF
    1 Mr. Mime PLF
Trainers/Supporters/Stadiums: 33

• 2 Gengar Spirit Link
    1 Rare Candy
    2 Ultra Ball
    2 VS Seeker
    2 Float Stone
    2 Muscle Band
    1 Enhanced Hammer
    3 Robo Substitute
    3 Virbank City Gym
    1 Dimension Valley
    3 Professor Sycamore
    3 N
    2 Colress
    2 Skyla
    1 Lysandre's Trump Card
    2 Teammates
    1 Computer Search (Ace Spec)
Energy: 11

• 4 Psychic Energy
    4 Mystery Energy
    3 Double Colorless Engery

Strategy:

My main attacker is Gengar EX by using Dark Corridor, which does 60 base damage, poisons the defending Pokemon, and then allows me to move my Gengar EX to my bench if I have other pokemon in my bench (including Robo Substitute). I really think that hide and seek strategy is really interesting and fun, but I see a lot of flaws with this deck. I use Sigilyph for the ability Safeguard, to stall some time if I'm going up against an Pokemon EX; I can rely on Sigilyph's attack as well because I run a psychic deck. I included Duskoir for the ability Sinister Hand because I will be putting a lot of damage by doing 60 base damage with poison to the defending Pokemon, and I also include Virbank City Gym which does 20 more damage. I also often put Muscle Band to do 20 more damage. In the end, Gengar EX has the potential of inflicting 110 damage to the defending Pokemon. Using Dusknoir will allow me to move damages in an appropriate manner to use every damage I am inflicting to my opponent's Pokemon while not being wasteful. The next Pokemon I thought was going to be useful was Wobbuffet because his ability is Bide Barricade; which only allow psychic Pokemon to use their ability when Wobbuffet is the active. This strategy goes back to how I am still able to use Dusknoir's ability Sinister Hand because he is a psychic type. His attack is not so bad also because Wobbuffet may do quite a bit of damage to the defending Pokemon as long as the defending Pokemon has enough damages already. I run Reshiram because I fear that I will go up against a Virizion/ Genesect deck, and Virizion EX conflicts my strategy of poisoning my opponent's defending Pokemon. I figured if I out my Gengar EX to my Reshiram, they will even think twice about attacking it due to the heavy hitting Outrage attack along with X2 weakness of Virizion/ Genesect deck. I included Dragalge in this deck because it's ability Poison Barrier might come in handy. This ability basically stops my opponent's defending Pokemon to retreat if they are poisoned. Next, Mr. Mime is in this deck simply because of the ability Bench Barrier, and it prevents damage done to any of my benched Pokemon. Some of my Pokemon will be fragile due to having basic Pokemon in play for a bit, which includes Duskull, Skrelp and even Robo Substitute with only 30 HP. Another thing that I am aware of is, Primal Kyogre EX is popular at the League I attend to, and it's attack has can do 150 base damage along with 30 damage for each Pokemon EX in the bench, and I will have at least 1 Gengar EX in the bench. Lastly, I've included Mega Gengar EX, because I thought it might be fun and useful to use Phantom Gate if needed. M Gengar EX will not be the main card to use in this deck, but a tool to give me flexibility when in tight spots.

I have considered putting a Trevenant because it has the ability Forest's Curse. This ability prevents my opponent to use any item cards as long as Trevenant is active. I want to know which is more effective when playing this deck, to block my opponent from using abilities, preventing retreat, or item locking.

Thank you for reading this, and I will greatly appreciate all inputs provided to me in bettering my deck.

Only 1 rare candy? well I guess if it works for you it's ok, but I would go with 3 rare candies at the least, that way you can get Dusknoir up there faster, also vir-gen should not be a problem if your switching out with Wobbuffet I think, though I would say item block is much more useful than ability block especially with all the Flareon decks going around.

One Rare Candy is fine if Dusknoir is the only Stage 2 in the deck. Dusknoir is nice, but it's not essential, so if it takes few turns to set up, that's fine. Usually if I'm playing a Stage 2 tech like Dusknoir, and the deck doesn't already play Rare Candy, I won't add it just for that one Stage 2. I'd rather play the Stage 1. I think it's more consistent that way if the Stage 2 isn't the focus, unlike in Blastoise and Hydreigon where you really want to get the Stage 2 out turn two.

Another good thing about playing the Stage 1 and no Rare Candy is that you don't even have to worry about Seismitoad preventing you from getting Dusknoir set up. I'd try a 2-2-2, and see if you like it.

appleatingoat said:
Only 1 rare candy? well I guess if it works for you it's ok, but I would go with 3 rare candies at the least, that way you can get Dusknoir up there faster, also vir-gen should not be a problem if your switching out with Wobbuffet I think, though I would say item block is much more useful than ability block especially with all the Flareon decks going around.

The only problem with going up against Vir-gen is, if my opponent's active already has a grass energy, and it was my turn to attack with dark corridor with my Gengar EX, I would have to put Poison on the defending Pokemon; thus Virizion EX's ability kicks in to cancel my Poison before Wobbuffet's because Wobbuffet will be in the active after I attempt to poison the defending Pokemon. The only way to keep that Pokemon poisoned, is if the defending Pokemon does not have a grass energy to start with, or if Virizion EX isn't in play on my opponent's side. The other option is to use Hypnotoxic Laser after I put my Wobbuffet in the active, but I don't plan on keeping my Wobbuffet in the active for the rest of the game, and so the poison will soon be gone as soon as it leaves the active spot.

I am interested in Trevenant though, but the problem is, I don't know what else to switch out. I don't mind switching out my Wobbuffet, but that's only one card. I'd like to keep my dragalge as well, and I don't know what kind of line I should have if I happen to put Trevenant in my deck. I don't think 1-1 line is that reliable for Trevenant.

Back