• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Gengar and Friends (Gengar EX / Manectric EX / Sigilyph)

Gengar master

shiny Pokémon bait
I love using Gengar in the TCG so I decided to come up with a deck that can make Gengar work in this format.
Pokemon: (14)

• 3 Gengar EX
    2 Manectric EX
    2 Trevenant XY
    2 Phantump XY
    1 Zekrom BW
    2 Wobbuffet PHF
    2 Sigilyph LT
Trainers/Supporters/Stadiums: (33)

• 4 N
    4 Juniper
    2 Lysandre
    2 Skyla
    2 Colress
    1 Xerosic

1 Comp Search
    2 VS Seeker
    2 Switch
    2 Hypnotoxic Laser
    1 Professor's Letter
    2 Float Stone
    2 Ultra Ball
    3 Muscle Band

3 Virbank City Gym
Energy: (12)

• 4 DCE
    5 Psychic Energy
    3 Lightning Energy

Strategy:

This is a normal Gengar EX deck with a twist. Since Yveltal EX is so popular and Gengar EX has weakness to dark, I decided to have an option against Yveltal EXs. Manectric EX is a perfect fit with Gengar EX because I have the option to Over Run to help set up some KOs but most importantly, I can Assault Laser + Muscle Band + Laser can one shot an Yveltal EX. Non Yveltal EX matchup I should put up my different walls (Zekrom, Sigilyph, Wobbuffet) depending on the deck I am facing.

Any help is much appreciated! :)

RE: GenTric (Gengar EX / Manectric EX / Sigilyph / Robo Sub)

I like the idea and play something alike... Still, I find three problems with your list.

1. Too dependant on special energy. Aegislash is becoming a thing steadly and Hammers + Xerosic are all around. How do you solve that?

2. 3 Psy and 2 Mystery strike me as a low count for Psychic energy, on which you depend to hit with Gengar and Sigilyph... How has this behaving so far with this count?

3. Pyroar is rising again and will get some nice support on Primal Clash and further. Do you plan to kill it solely with Poison? Is that efficient enough to deal with it?

RE: GenTric (Gengar EX / Manectric EX / Sigilyph / Robo Sub)

At first I had a list with Mega Manectric EX so I can always go back to that one. And yea the energy counts is what I wanted help with here.

RE: Mega Gengar and Friends (Mega Gengar EX / Manectric EX / Seismitoad EX / Sigilyph)

should I make any changes? I feel this could place well in Tourneys.

RE: Mega Gengar and Friends (Mega Gengar EX / Manectric EX / Seismitoad EX / Sigilyph)

A few thoughts for your consideration from my playing experience (including recent CCs) and playing against "spin and wall" decks:

• I've found that "walls" like Robo Substitute are really not that effective, IMO for reasons including; 1) you could be Item-locked and not be able to play them; and 2) your opponent can easily Lysandre around them.
  • Depending upon the match-up, M Gengar EX's attack may not be really helpful. I've found Gengar EX alone to be just fine.
  • Reshiram (Outrage) is another solid Poke I use, especially against VirGen decks.
  • I've found that Ht Lasers are not needed since Dark Corridor poisons the Defending Poke.
Given the above comments, I offer the following suggested changes for your consideration:

• -1 M Gengar EX
    -1 Gengar Spirit Link
    -3 Robo Substitute
    -3 Ht Laser

+1 Reshiram / Charizard EX (Wing Attack).
    +2 Muscle Band. These should be maxed out, IMO.
    +1 VS Seeker. HUGE help to get you access to needed, discarded Supporter.
    +1 Enhanced Hammer. Helps to disrupt opponent.
    +1 Cassius. For prize denial and wounded Poke recovery.

+2 P energy. Enhances your chances to get you access to P energy when needed.
Lastly, I found the Trevenant variation to be very good too. Thoughts?

I hope you find these comments helpful.

This type of deck can also work with dusknoir from BCR since with gengar you are always hitting for a bit of dmg and retrieving...it acts as a donphan but not nearly as effective I'm sure we can all agree on....I really like Gengar ex but I have yet found a way to use him where it's consistant...Consistant to me is at least a 70% winrate with the deck.

SubStripSanta said:
I really like Gengar ex but I have yet found a way to use him where it's consistent...Consistent to me is at least a 70% winrate with the deck.
IMO, with the inclusion of Manectric EX and other noted suggestions above, they all collectively can have a huge, positive impact and I believe will hit the 70%+ win target.

TuxedoBlack said:
SubStripSanta said:
I really like Gengar ex but I have yet found a way to use him where it's consistent...Consistent to me is at least a 70% winrate with the deck.
IMO, with the inclusion of Manectric EX and other noted suggestions above, they all collectively can have a huge, positive impact and I believe will hit the 70%+ win target.

Yeah that's a fair statement because I sure do love Gengar and I would like to seee it excell!

Edited the list. I like having Hypno Lasers because it is good for extra damage like with Manectric EX (Assault Laser) + Muscle Band + Hypno Laser = OHKO Yveltal EXs. I feel Robo Sub is still really good. Sure they can Lysandre but that can happen to other walls as well.

Added Trev

Gengar master said:
Edited the list. I like having Hypno Lasers because it is good for extra damage like with Manectric EX (Assault Laser) + Muscle Band + Hypno Laser = OHKO Yveltal EXs. I feel Robo Sub is still really good. Sure they can Lysandre but that can happen to other walls as well.

Added Trev

I would agree with you on robo sub....as you can dismiss it whenever you want to anyhow....I love robo sub and is great for free turns.

On the other hand, if you are Item-locked, Robos are not that effective (lots of Seismitoad decks played in my area).

RE: Gengar and Friends (Gengar EX / Manectric EX / Seismitoad EX / Sigilyph)

Where is the seismitoad?

Opponents who run Seismitoads in their decks.

I do believe he's talking about the title.

I played something like this for a while and got an amazing result. I found that removing trevenant and wobbuffet altogether and adding Mega Manectric proved to be both faster and more reliable.

What do you think about it?

Actually, only Sigilyphs, but I guess I could squeeze a couple of Outrages in there, picking 2 of the 3 or maybe picking one and running 2 cards of it, depending on the meta you are facing...

My list runs a quite simple and straight foward line: 3 Gengar, 2-2-2 MManectric, 2 Sigilyph and one Keldeo teched for retreats, running with 3 float stones.

Now, I see that 3 float stones might be overkill (or even maybe the Keldeo itself), but it has been working wonders... My opponents need to play Megaphone 3 times to keep me from retreating for free.

Now, I run 2 DCE just in case my stadium goes down and I can't fetch one fast enough or if some gengar gets Head Ringered. That 2 DCE might help to get those Outrages going, if you intent to get them in.

Another wall you could squeeze in is Robo Substitute. With Keldeo and Float Stones, Should your opponent choose not to kill it, you can keep it indefinitely.

This listing is focused and direct: We hit with gengar's first attack for free (with Valley, ofc) and then we proceed to hit with common Manectric + Muscle Band + Head Ringer on my opponent OR Lysandre out someone with a tool attached.

Manectric first attack is also great to deal the first batch of damage. Going second is a must in the deck, since Manectric and Gengar can directly hit the bench while your opponent is still setting up.

Right management of bench damage leads to early KOs with MManectric in the middle game, while walling with Sigilyph. For Donphan, you can charge up Keldeo and add a Muscle Band to it. Next turn, discard the energy and use MManectric to recover them.

My list also run one tool retriever, for those Flare Tools and recovering a Spirit Link, so I can switch it for a Muscle Band. But tool retriever has another uses, like recovering early wasted Float Stones or pulling out the Keldeo trick I just explained.

Gengar's second attack comes in when you want to distribute damage in early-middle game. Usually switching in a Sigilyph will stop most meta decks or, at least, give you a better Prize Trade. Having a MManectric on bench and hitting with gengar, leaving the opponents active poisoned usually prompts them to switch it out or risking a 2 for 1 prize trade.

In the late game, this deck falls short, since it lacks OHKO scenarios. Still, MManectric bulks up lots of HP and hitting with gengar for 70 (or 90) with poison and moving a MManectric to wall in the next hit can help you.

The bottom line is, this require quite the mind game and usually you will only have time to play the first or maybe the second matches in a best-of-three, depending on your luck.

A final and really nice little trick I am pulling with this list is Energy Switch. Since all attackers go for 2 energy tops (counting Valley on, which is why I run 3 + 2 skyla and am trying to squeeze in one more Valley), you can surprise your opponent, as I did sometimes, saving energy from dying pokes and instantly buffing something else ready to attack.

If you wish, you may check my listing here: http://www2.bebessearch.com/Pokedex/DecklistShare.aspx?id=1506739568&key=528688200

It is not perfect by any means, but I like how it plays and I am trying my best to improve it.

Back