• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Standard GenGal

Yog

Rogue
ivRhtD1.png

This deck came about as I searched high and low for the best partner for Creep Show Gengar. That move is too good to pass up. But the trouble is always healing decks. Most of these will run out of healing eventually, except for Rough Seas, which can heal 30 over and over and over and..

Enter Galvantula and it's unique snipe condition - "[C] Double Thread: This attack does 30 damage to 2 of your opponent’s Pokémon. Also apply Weakness and Resistance for Benched Pokémon." And what are two thirds of Water types weak to? Why it just so happens to be Grass or Lightning, i.e. Galvantula's dual typings. This should leave 30 on an opponent, even with Rough Seas healing 30 away.

Here's the deck so far:

6znohfR.png

Or for those who prefer text:

4-3 Galvantula
3-2-3 Gengar
1 Shaymin
2 Rare Candy

3 Bridgette
3 Sycamore
2 N
2 Lysandre
2 Skyla
1 Delinquent
4 Vs Seeker

3 Ultra Ball
2 Level Ball
1 Evosoda
2 Trainers' Mail

1 Professor's Letter
2 Super Rod
1 Escape Rope

3 Bursting Balloon
1 Exp. Share
1 Eco Arm

1 Team Magma's Secret Base
1 Faded Town AOR 73

5 Psychic Energy
1 Lightning Energy

A few notes on the cards

Pokemon
Obviously getting to a point where you can use Gengar's Creep Show is the point of the deck, but Galvantula as an attacker is not to be sniffed at, even with such low figures. A four-prize double Shaymin kill happens quite often in testing, should your opponent be fool enough to attempt to outpace your slow evolution deck that way. You can also snipe Remoraid before it evolves as a secondary way to cut off your opponent's draw.

Your ideal starter is a Joltik, into a Bridgette setting up your bench with a stream of Gastly & more Joltiks. If your opponent is likely to attack early, you'd like a Balloon on the Joltik too. Haunter's ability to confuse the opponent, combined with Joltik/Gengar's free retreat, means you can confuse both yourself & them, and then simply retreat out of it to attack with something else. If your opponent can't shake it off, they will put 30 on themselves setting up a Creep Show. If they attack you with a Balloon on, it's 60, setting up a creep show. If you can snipe their bench for two 30s (or 60s), it's setting up a creep show.. you get the idea here.

The 3-2-3 line is specifically to use that ability whenever you can, yet the Rare Candy allow you to evolve up faster given the cards to hand.

Additionally, both Haunter and Galvantula each have an attack which denies manual retreating. Your opponent will have to switch via rope/switch/Olympia, or evolve or Ranger out of it. If they are poisoned or confused, all the better.

Gengar's other attack which places 10s across the bench works best in combination with one or the other stadia to give you that figure of 30, but also can be used in a pinch to give the extra ten required to kill off the likes of Frogadier for instance. Poisoning the active is a nice bonus leaving your opponent needing to remove their mon, or face a later Creep Show attack.

Supporters
I've found this deck functions better with Bridgette than without. If I had room for a fourth I certainly would add it. Extremely useful on your first turn, and pretty damn good even on a second or third turn. A sidenote about Bridgette: Cards played straight to bench avoid the damage accrued via Team Magma's Base.

The draw cards speak for themselves. 3 Sycamore/2 N is a little low compared to your usual 4/2 split, but Skyla is often needed to find something more specific so you have some additional specific draw there. Things Skyla finds you in the according situations include the recyling card for tools or pokemon, the right ball or stadium, the letter to access the lightning energy when needed, the rare candy, and so on.

Lysandre is a 2 count (and could be even higher) to use the lock-in-place tactic. Unfortunately with so many decks of late upping their reliance on Olympia/ropes over the Float Stone, it's become less reliable.

Delinquent is just a great disruption card <3 Probably not too essential, but one of the deck's strengths is cutting off your opponents ability to draw via Octillery or fear of Shaymin KOs, so why not push that envelope even further if the opportunity arises and reduce them to top-decking? Plus it helps to have some way to recycle a Rough Seas killer.

Items
Evosoda is probably the only one here needing comment on. The deck is prone to playing through cards in hand quite often. Evosoda is just a decent way to get Gengar out without needing to toss essential cards with Ultra Ball. It's not perfect by any means. Of course it doubles for Galv & Haunter (though you won't get to use the ability if you go that route).

What this Deck needs most
-ways to be faster
-one more of each energy
-one more balloon/eco arm
-ways to ensure you don't start with just one Joltik out front and no bench
but hell if I know what to cut.

Versus the Meta
This is not a deck to bring to tournaments lol. But it can actually hold it's own versus a whole lot of decks. Your goal is mostly to win the Prize race, giving up single prizes early, but quickly and easily It just eats up Greninja assuming you don't dead draw. It uses abilities without relying on them, so it has no real fear of Garbodor. Anything that plays Shaymin or Octillery needs to play very carefully. Yveltal goes from stomping all over Gengar alone, to running scared if you play carefully.

Where it does fall down badly is against decks that use Rough Seas without being Grass or Lightning weak - any lightning decks using it, or Steel-weak water types. It also has some trouble with EX decks that use more mixed non-EX attackers. e.g. Volcanion with baby Volcanion out front kind of thing - you do need that Prize trade to work out in your favour.

Anyways, try it out, let me know if you can see anywhere it can be improved obviously, or even any little tweaks you might make to it. I am quite proud of this one, all my own work.

A few comments for your consideration:
  • Whenever an opponent benches a Gastly, my immediate assumption is that a Creep Show Gengar is somewhere waiting to appear... So, I turn my attention to KOing any and all Gastlys, as appropriate. Dealing with Galvantula becomes secondary.
  • Interestingly enough, I was play-testing with one of my Poké pals yesterday; my friend ran his Galvantula deck against a variety of my decks: Darkrai, Volcanion and Zygarde. Galvantula was quite impressive and strong enough, IMO, to help win games without its Gengar partner - this is a good thing.
  • In your particular deck's case, given the relatively low HP of your Basic Pokémon, chances are you'll play from behind early game. Incorporating an Ace Trainer and/or Teammates for opponent's hand disruption and/or immediate access to 2 needed cards would be very helpful.
  • Silent Lab can be a very effective Stadium, especially early to mid-game when your opponent is trying to setup. Silent Lab will stop the Hoopa EX and Shaymin EX Abilities. Silent Lab, IMO, has a greater "coverage range" than, for example, TM Secret Base or Faded Town since some players can "play around" your current Stadiums via Brigette (for example) or just don't play Mega evolutions.
Suggested deck changes:

-1 Brigette - 2 should be sufficient (or -2 Brigette and add another L/U Ball or Sycamore?)
-1 Skyla - 1 should be sufficient
-1 Escape Rope - not critical
-1 Exp. Share - not critical
-1 TM Secret Base - could hurt your Pokémon too
-1 Faded Town - "more" meta dependent

+1 Ace Trainer - opponent's hand disruption
+1 Level Ball - more Pokémon search capability
+2 Silent Lab - to impede opponent's setup (or 1 Silent Lab and 1 Parallel City)
+1 Teammates - needed cards search capability
+1 Trainer's Mail - increased consistency

The above are some general comments. To specifically address some of your noted concerns:
ivRhtD1.png
-ways to be faster
-ways to ensure you don't start with just one Joltik out front and no bench

I would hope the extra Level Ball, Ace Trainer, Teammates and Trainer's Mail would do so.

-one more of each energy
Replace either the Ace Trainer or Teammates with another Basic energy.

Versus the Meta
This is not a deck to bring to tournaments lol.
Really? I'm not too sure about this... :)

I hope you find my comments helpful.

Last edited:
I love the living heck out of this idea, @Yog ! I'm going to suggest dropping the Eco Arm for a 4th Bursting Balloon for consistency reasons (or for another N since 3 Sycamore 2 N seems super awkward and I realize Sycamore at 4 probably isn't the best idea here) and ditto @TuxedoBlack 's suggestions since they are very solid (as usual, you old Hound <3 ).

I may have to steal this and test it for a while. Will be fun to mess around with. Nicely done!

-Asmer

@Yog and @Asmer

Fyi. My friend, as mentioned above, definitely plans to rock his deck version at the upcoming Regional tournament. And I might say, he's incorporated a few interesting twists...

Would be very interested to see his list after the event. Been playing around with these tweaks on the client, the Team Mates is a must for sure. The Silent Lab has turned out very useful for slowing the opposition down to my pace but I do find myself missing the extra damage on from the old ones but an't make a deck with 70 cards. I am missing that Bridgette boost start though for sure :/ Hard to find the right balance.

Back