Genesect Revealed from “Night Wanderer!”

Water Pokémon Master

I like Pokemon more than you! :p
Webmaster
Elite Member
Advanced Member
A new Genesect has been revealed from Night Wanderer, which releases in Japan on June 7th. Cards from Night Wanderer will become part of our Shrouded Fable set on August 2nd.
Genesect – Metal – HP110
Basic Pokemon
Ability: Ace Canceller
As long as this Pokemon has a Pokemon Tool attached to it, your opponent can’t play any ACE SPEC cards from their hand.
[M][C][C] Magneblast: 100 damage.
Weakness: Fire (x2)
Resistance: Grass (-30)
Retreat: 1
Thanks goes to Bangiras for the translation!

Continue reading...

Seems a bit overkill to run a card and devote a tool to it to counter one card per deck, especially when your opponent can just lost vac genesect and make it a useless benchfiller.
It might have a slim use in control decks that really want to stop Prime Catcher and Super Scoop Up from letting your opponent pivot, but then again switch, boss, penny and turo exist

Last edited:
If you played Jamming Tower... would it still count as a tool attached to Genesect?

Is Jamming tower even a good card?

Seems a bit overkill to run a card and devote a tool to it to counter one card per deck, especially when your opponent can just lost vac genesect and make it a useless benchfiller.

It prob won’t be played often. But you only need to play a Rescue board and Genesect to lock down AS and make sure it can’t get gusted

If you played Jamming Tower... would it still count as a tool attached to Genesect?

Is Jamming tower even a good card?
Yes, because the Tower cancels the Tool effect, but the Tool is still considered as "attached" for abilites like this or Brute Bonnet.
And yes, it is a good card because it provides an unique and useful effect, but its utility depends on the meta, probably will see more play if there are more Tool focused decks and/or after Vacuum rotates.

People that think this card is bad, you should search up lost thunder wobbuffet and anti ace spec spiritomb from 2013.

Both saw tons of play and this will too.
There weren't cards like Iron Hands ex and ExLax in 2013. This would need to completely shut down a meta deck to see any play.

It might have a slim use in control decks that really want to stop Prime Catcher and Super Scoop Up from letting your opponent pivot, but then again switch, boss, penny and turo exist
This is correct, but its pretty clear that pokemon is setting up for the next meta and thinking about what rotates out in a year. Vac rotates and your only real tool negation is jamming tower which doesn't detach, it just turns off. And blocking your opponent from using ace specs isn't going to outright win, but it will Put them in situations where the ace spec would have given them an out, but genesect prevents that.

why not just reprint this ability, the tool part seems so unnecessary, but then again once rotation hits the tool requirement wont be as problematic unless we get a tool scrapper/startling megaphone/field blower reprint

Attachments

• BW11_EN_87.png
    BW11_EN_87.png
    185 KB · Views: 37
Just the other day I was wondering if a card like this would exist but thought that it wouldnt make sense run a card just to block a single card from your opponent so likely never gonna exist, I was wrong...

Eh players always overestimate how much people play lost vacuum. I do think this will see some play
So many times I didn't have Lost Vacuum in hand and just Arven to get Prime Catcher. But you can't get both at same time. Most decks play 1 or 2 vacuums and it's not always at right time in hand

why not just reprint this ability, the tool part seems so unnecessary, but then again once rotation hits the tool requirement wont be as problematic unless we get a tool scrapper/startling megaphone/field blower reprint
Literally saw this card for the first time yesterday lol

This will be good if you run an ace spec tool card. Opponent either needs to lost vacuum the genesect or your ace spec. This will force two lost vacuums into people's decks, which most people don't want to do.

it should be obvious why they might not want to introduce a one-card ACE SPEC shutoff on a Basic that'll have to exist for several years while they continue to introduce at least four ACE SPEC cards per set for at least another one of those years.

it should be obvious why they might not want to introduce a one-card ACE SPEC shutoff on a Basic that'll have to exist for several years while they continue to introduce at least four ACE SPEC cards per set for at least another one of those years.
i feel like we may not be getting that many more ace specs. if we go based off of how swsh era went, y1 was introducing vmax pokemon, y2 introduced all of the striking styles, and y3 didn't introduce any striking style pokemon but we had vstars. i think ace specs may very well be h block exclusive. with pokemon legends z-a coming out next year and we still have to do the terapagos DLC expansion sometime soon, chances are we will be seeing a new mechanic replacing ace spec cards after h block.

i feel like we may not be getting that many more ace specs. if we go based off of how swsh era went, y1 was introducing vmax pokemon, y2 introduced all of the striking styles, and y3 didn't introduce any striking style pokemon but we had vstars. i think ace specs may very well be h block exclusive. with pokemon legends z-a coming out next year and we still have to do the terapagos DLC expansion sometime soon, chances are we will be seeing a new mechanic replacing ace spec cards after h block.
it's possible, and maybe even very likely given that VSTAR Power as a mechanic was entirely confined to F block and will cleanly rotate out of existence all at once. keep in mind, however that people were also under the impression that we wouldn't get even half as many total ACE SPEC cards as we have now when the first wave of them dropped in their return set, just because there weren't that many of them in their original BW era. only time will really tell, and while it's possible they go back into dormancy with H block concluding, we could just as easily keep getting some during I block and thus end up with really interesting K block in the future where a significant portion of the ACE SPEC cards rotate out with H block leaving and a new hierarchy develops with the ones that are left.

Back