Help Gardevoir GX in the new set?

Quon

Aspiring Trainer
So i have a tournament upcoming in the coming month where Prism is legal the same legality weekend. I was wondering how you guys think the set will shape up and if Gardevoir GX will still be able to hold up in the set?

And if possible you could point me in a way of a decklist perhaps since ive been out of the loop for the past few months.

Thanks for the help!

Well.. Maybe Gardevoir will still be okay. Remember that the new Solgaleo GX is coming March 23rd. Without that Solgaleo, it's 'just' decks like Dusk Mane Necrozma / Magnezone or something like that. I think metal will really start overwhelming the meta once the new Solgaleo GX has been released.

But of course I'm interested what others might think?

Well.. Maybe Gardevoir will still be okay. Remember that the new Solgaleo GX is coming March 23rd. Without that Solgaleo, it's 'just' decks like Dusk Mane Necrozma / Magnezone or something like that. I think metal will really start overwhelming the meta once the new Solgaleo GX has been released.

Didn't it get delayed until after Worlds?

I recommend not playing it till after a while to see how things go with the new decks the top players build. Once the set comes out there's gonna be allot of experimentation with necrozma either with magnezone or metagross so if it's a cup your going to then you might try to counter the experiments with fire. If you want to play garde your gonna have to let the metal hype die or never play it again if the hype continues. The new solgaleo doesn't have an official date yet so if that's the deck people migrate to when it's out garde would obviously be a bad choice.

I recommend not playing it till after a while to see how things go with the new decks the top players build. Once the set comes out there's gonna be allot of experimentation with necrozma either with magnezone or metagross so if it's a cup your going to then you might try to counter the experiments with fire. If you want to play garde your gonna have to let the metal hype die or never play it again if the hype continues. The new solgaleo doesn't have an official date yet so if that's the deck people migrate to when it's out garde would obviously be a bad choice.

But my regionals is the week the new set is legal

But my regionals is the week the new set is legal
All the more reason not to play it then regionals after sets come out often have new decks that do well but don't stay all that relevant afterwards just look at metagross and silvally both haven't done anything big since there previous good showings.

All the more reason not to play it then regionals after sets come out often have new decks that do well but don't stay all that relevant afterwards just look at metagross and silvally both haven't done anything big since there previous good showings.

So how would i go about finding a new deck to compete with? i dont really have a test group or anything of such

So how would i go about finding a new deck to compete with? i dont really have a test group or anything of such

Because it'll be the first Regional where a new set is legal, everyone will be going into it unsure of how the Meta will look. My advice is to play something you're comfortable with, because a good player that's using a deck that he or she is comfortable with is better than a good player that's using a brand new archetype that he or she is unsure whether or not is a good play.

Because it'll be the first Regional where a new set is legal, everyone will be going into it unsure of how the Meta will look. My advice is to play something you're comfortable with, because a good player that's using a deck that he or she is comfortable with is better than a good player that's using a brand new archetype that he or she is unsure whether or not is a good play.

fair enough , i havent really updated my list for the past 2 sets sort of . Any idea how a new list would look like and what id look to add on the new set?

fair enough , i havent really updated my list for the past 2 sets sort of . Any idea how a new list would look like and what id look to add on the new set?

Here is the list that took 9th at the Memphsis Regionals a few weeks ago. It looks like it's a combination of the Sylveon GX variant and the "Brokenvoir" build.

Pokemon - 20
4 Ralts BKT 100
2 Kirlia BKT 69
3 Gardevoir-GX BUS 93
2 Gallade BKT 84
3 Tapu Lele-GX GRI 60
1 Remoraid BKT 32
1 Octillery BKT 33
1 Eevee SUM 101
1 Sylveon-GX GRI 92
1 Alolan Vulpix GRI 21
1 Giratina PR-XY XY184

Trainer - 29
4 N FCO 105
3 Professor Sycamore BKP 107
3 Guzma BUS 115
2 Brigette BKT 134
4 Ultra Ball SUM 135
4 Rare Candy SUM 129
2 Max Potion GRI 128
2 Field Blower GRI 125
2 Super Rod BKT 149
2 Choice Band GRI 121
1 Parallel City BKT 145

Energy - 11
7 Fairy Energy 9
4 Double Colorless Energy SUM 136

A lot of people think that Gardevoir GX will drop from it's Tier 1 status when Ultra Prism releases, and I don't think that it will. It will initially see a dip in play because people will anticipate more Metal decks, but the only Metal deck coming out of Ultra Prism that looks viable is Dusk Mane Necrozma GX, which will heavily rely on getting Magnezone set up and have the necessary energy in hand. I would say that it's matchup will be no different than it's matchup against Metagross GX at the moment, and for that reason I think the Sylveon GX build with the Parallel City/Plea GX combo is the way to go with Gardevoir GX going forward. Being able to Plea GX their benched Magnezone completely limits the deck. There's still no other deck out there at the moment that can achieve the OHKO numbers that Gardevoir GX can so for that reason I think it's still a solid play.

A lot of people think that Gardevoir GX will drop from it's Tier 1 status when Ultra Prism releases, and I don't think that it will. It will initially see a dip in play because people will anticipate more Metal decks, but the only Metal deck coming out of Ultra Prism that looks viable is Dusk Mane Necrozma GX, which will heavily rely on getting Magnezone set up and have the necessary energy in hand. I would say that it's matchup will be no different than it's matchup against Metagross GX at the moment, and for that reason I think the Sylveon GX build with the Parallel City/Plea GX combo is the way to go with Gardevoir GX going forward. Being able to Plea GX their benched Magnezone completely limits the deck. There's still no other deck out there at the moment that can achieve the OHKO numbers that Gardevoir GX can so for that reason I think it's still a solid play.

Another consideration would be that almost all Dusk Mane Necrozma lists do not include non-GX Metal attackers that wouzld benefit from the Metal weakness on Gardevoir GX. Dusk Mane Necrozma GX himself does not need to hit for weakness since he essentially one-shots most cards in format with both main attacks. Sylveon GX is a decent counter to some of these metal decks excluding Metal Silvally.

Here is the list that took 9th at the Memphsis Regionals a few weeks ago. It looks like it's a combination of the Sylveon GX variant and the "Brokenvoir" build.

Pokemon - 20
4 Ralts BKT 100
2 Kirlia BKT 69
3 Gardevoir-GX BUS 93
2 Gallade BKT 84
3 Tapu Lele-GX GRI 60
1 Remoraid BKT 32
1 Octillery BKT 33
1 Eevee SUM 101
1 Sylveon-GX GRI 92
1 Alolan Vulpix GRI 21
1 Giratina PR-XY XY184

Trainer - 29
4 N FCO 105
3 Professor Sycamore BKP 107
3 Guzma BUS 115
2 Brigette BKT 134
4 Ultra Ball SUM 135
4 Rare Candy SUM 129
2 Max Potion GRI 128
2 Field Blower GRI 125
2 Super Rod BKT 149
2 Choice Band GRI 121
1 Parallel City BKT 145

Energy - 11
7 Fairy Energy 9
4 Double Colorless Energy SUM 136

Another consideration would be that almost all Dusk Mane Necrozma lists do not include non-GX Metal attackers that wouzld benefit from the Metal weakness on Gardevoir GX. Dusk Mane Necrozma GX himself does not need to hit for weakness since he essentially one-shots most cards in format with both main attacks. Sylveon GX is a decent counter to some of these metal decks excluding Metal Silvally.

So im looking to use 1/1 line with Sylveon GX?
Am i looking to put in any new cards from the new set as well?

Once again thanks for helping me out <3

It all depends on what you want to play. If you want to use Gardevoir GX a 1-1 or 2-2 line of Sylveon GX would be a good start. You could also include Super Boost Energy from the new set. However Fairy did not gain much in the last two sets.

My personal recommendation would be to find a tactic you want to use first and start from there. There are several decklists in the Deck Garage that also contain descriptions of the main idea of each deck. There are a few stable trainers that can go into almost all decks: 3-3-3 Professor Sycamore - N - Cynthia, 1 Bridgette, 3 Guzma, 4 Ultra Ball, and 3 Choice Band. Personally I also like 1 or two Pal Pad to recycle supporters.

Very true! Although I have seen some early lists include the Prism Star Solgaleo, which is something to watch out for.

I've been running the list I posted a bit online and so far a 1-1 line has been just fine. If you prize the Eevee or Sylveon you have Alolan Vulpix as a backup, which has it's own strengths. I do think a 2-2 line is good though, especially if you want to get Sylveon out more consistently. If you wanted to run the 2-2 line, you could cut the Alolan Vulpix and the Giratina promo. I thought about cutting the Giratina promo myself but Greninja has seemed to regain some popularity recently and without Giratina it's basically an auto-loss.

We not seen the set list for ultra prism yet. We could very well gwt full arts and hyper rares of new sologeo along with a reg art. If you read the tin info it states a new art. Im not holding my breathe. But still hoping . If you see all that japon got in ultra sun and moon and our set numbers. There is more cards in our set. So assume we get some cards from japons battle boost and such.

Back