• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Standard Gardevoir GX for Hartford

We don't have to test it because we know that pros have for hours on hours, and they decided against it like every Gardevoir deck I've seen but yours. Also not running Choice Band, and saying you don't need it is kinda stupid. Choice Band is so good, and you saying Gardevoir doesn't need it is ridiculous. I have played Gardevoir for a while, and it has saved me so many games. Your deck choices are kinda bizarre, and I don't know believe they could bring you much sucess at any competitive tournament.

I tested Weakness Policy in my Garde deck and I hated it xD

Even when I came up against Metagross they had a Field Blower and when I wasn't against Metagross it was Garb fuel and the only use I got out of it was Ultra Ball fodder.
I'm 4-1 against Metagross :p

We don't have to test it because we know that pros have for hours on hours, and they decided against it like every Gardevoir deck I've seen but yours. Also not running Choice Band, and saying you don't need it is kinda stupid. Choice Band is so good, and you saying Gardevoir doesn't need it is ridiculous. I have played Gardevoir for a while, and it has saved me so many games. Your deck choices are kinda bizarre, and I don't know believe they could bring you much sucess at any competitive tournament.
You said earlier that people immmediately dismissed cards for 1 matchup.... Most people forget Weakness Policy even exists. Also, I've never been in a situation where I wish I could do 30 more. Also, people originally said the idea of Metagross was "Bizarre" and it won many tournaments. Different isn't equal to bad

I highly doubt your Gardevoir deck could beat my Metagross deck because mine and a lot of other decks run 3 Field Blowers. I have won 2 League Cups with my Metagross deck, so it is pretty good. I'm not sure if you have versed good Metagross decks because when you do verse good decks you will most likely not go 4-1. Especially considering competitive matches are out of 3, so if they get unlucky once it probably won't happen again. I would expect you to go 1-3 with your Weakness Policies.

You guys should actually test my list against Metagross before arguing the playability of Policy....

Let me just reason to you a few things and you're welcome to ignore me if you don't care. I probably should've just said this in my first reply to this thread.

1. Have you considered what ratio of the meta will be playing Metagross GX at a regional event? I don't mean online, and I don't mean at locals either. I mean the large scale, large sample size events. Even if you take 1 loss to a Metagross GX player, you can still take top ranks at an event by winning most of your other match ups. What you should be more concerned about is how you're going to win your mirror match up, because an estimated at least 1/4th of all players will be running Gardevoir GX and at least another 1/4th of them will be running a Garbodor variant. It's probably more like 1/3rd of players will be running a Garbodor variant, really. Unless you can say for absolute certainty that you're going to run into Metagross GX more often than another Gardevoir GX or Garbodor variant, then I see little reason when you can take an auto loss and still take top at an event.

2. Are you 4-1 in Swiss rounds against Metagross GX, or are you 4-1 against 5 different players with 5 different deck lists who did not expect you were running Weakness Policy? Do you even in know if the players you're playing against online are playing Metagross GX competitively? For fun? For the first time? Online is not the most competitive environment available. In a best of 3 scenario, if your opponent is smart, he/she will change his/her strategy in order to make sure you don't get to keep them in play, or simply work around you by using Necrozma GX's GX attack, and Weakness Policy won't mean anything anymore.

3. If you want to talk about match ups, Metagross GX may be the one counter to Gardevoir GX, but Garbotoxin Garbodor, Greninja's Shadow Stitching, and anything fire are all direct counters to Metagross GX as well, except they don't have to change their deck lists at all in order to beat Metagross. Metagross GX is completely banking on the probability of there being an astronomical amount of Gardevoir GX players, but against any other match up except maybe for Tapu Bulu GX/Vikavolt, it's got nowhere close to an autowin. The lack of other very favorable match ups is the main reason why Metagross GX will not see extensive play.

The issue with Weakness Policy is that it does not guarantee that you will win anyway, and it only gives you relief for one match up in the ENTIRE meta. You have to think about a strategy for winning the entire event, not for beating one match up, and if a majority of players in the meta are playing Metagross GX at regionals, I don't know why you would take Gardevoir to begin with.

1. I don't know yet. This League Cup was my first event this season. I may take them out if it looks like no Metagross will be there, but I doubt it considering it's the one counter to the deck that won worlds in 2/3 divisions.

2. 3 of those matches were from someone from the league cup and the other 2 were with someone else. They were definitely playing competitively. None were online.

3. Don't have much to say but Metagross runs 3 Blowers to counter Garbotoxin...

4. I am prepared for all matchups. I playtested multiple times against everything else. Metagross is all I struggle with. Also, I'm playing Gardy because I asked in a thread if I should play Gardy, or Greninja and EVERYONE said Gardy :p

And I can battle now @GekkisaiDaiNi

Gardy is far more consistent than Greninja, so if you're only comparing those 2 decks then there's not much argument.

I just don't want you to come back from the event and drop a rant thread about how poorly Gardy GX did for you since it seems like your expectations for success are incredibly high. We've already seen that happen once here.

Just be realistic about whatever happens.

Gardy is far more consistent than Greninja, so if you're only comparing those 2 decks then there's not much argument.

I just don't want you to come back from the event and drop a rant thread about how poorly Gardy GX did for you since it seems like your expectations for success are incredibly high. We've already seen that happen once here.

Just be realistic about whatever happens.
I'm not the type of person who would rant about my deck after making a poor meta-call ;)

Duo I think you are referring to Seastrome's thread lol. This guy hasn't ranted about how poorly Gardevoir did. The description you wrote sounds exactly like Seastrome's thread. I agree with Duo that Weakness Policy is not worth it. Especially when you are dropping Choice Bands for it. Choice Babd help so many numbers, and it is op. It seems dumb for a Gardy deck not to take advantage of Choice Bands considering the math on with Choice Bands helps a lot in so many situations.

Post-Regionals Update:
I got 39th out of 114 seniors. Could have got top 32 with an ID in round 7, but I thought that would guarentee me out of Top 32.

I beat: Golisopod GX, Volcanion/Ho-Oh, Metagross, and Drampa/Garb
I lost to: Metagross (dead-drew), Darkrai (he got lucky and top-decked a Ya Boi for game) and lost to Bulu/Volt (In game 2, I N'd myself into a useless hand :/)

Back