Gardevoir Gothitelle

RottingAwesome

Aspiring Trainer
What are your thoughts on this combo?
With Gardevoir out, Gothitelle is hitting 110 for 2 psychic energy cards and 40 more with each additional card you attach to it
When you have Gothitelle out you also don't have to worry about your precious Gardevoir being catchered out (or any other pesky item cards)
Of course, throw in a Mewtwo for good measure and it can also reap the benefits of Gardevoir, or have it attack while you set up your other guys depending on how things work out

I've been seeing a bit of it on the TCGO and really like the idea. I've been very interested in Gardevoir since its translation and this seems to be a nice spot for it to fit

Thoughts, strengths, glaring weaknesses?

The glaring weakness is that a Mewtwo of your opponent's is easily capable of one-hitting anything that attacks in your deck for a DCE.

I'd rather just use Mewtwo EX than gothitelle. It will take too long to set up and its hp is relatively low. If you want to make a trainer lock deck, Id rather just use mewtwo with vileplume and gardevoir, though it is risky.

It seems like a good idea, but considering the fact that Gothitelle will be ko'd every turn (Mewtwo EX), you just can't swarm.

This deck isn't bad, but you need to focus most on swarming Gothitelles and Mewtwos, rather than hitting for tons of damage. It's pretty hard to do, though seeing as how you have 2 Stage 2's in the deck, and 130 HP isn't untouchable like it was before.

Vileplume with Gardevoir and Mewtwo seems more risky than Gothitelle. A Mewtwo can take out Gloom and Oddish with a DCE, and a Plume with 3. It'll take longer to set up, especially since you'll be trying to set up 2 Stage 2s while locking yourself too. I don't like the Gardevoir idea in general, since it makes opposing Mewtwo even stronger. It has upsides, but the glaring weakness is, well, the glaring weakness. Psychic. Though most decks only run 1 or 2 Mewtwo, those 1 or 2 Mewtwo can crush Gardevoir decks with only a few energy if the Gardy player is running dry on their own energy draws.

Furaigon said:
Vileplume with Gardevoir and Mewtwo seems more risky than Gothitelle. A Mewtwo can take out Gloom and Oddish with a DCE, and a Plume with 3. It'll take longer to set up, especially since you'll be trying to set up 2 Stage 2s while locking yourself too. I don't like the Gardevoir idea in general, since it makes opposing Mewtwo even stronger. It has upsides, but the glaring weakness is, well, the glaring weakness. Psychic. Though most decks only run 1 or 2 Mewtwo, those 1 or 2 Mewtwo can crush Gardevoir decks with only a few energy if the Gardy player is running dry on their own energy draws.

How does Gardevoir make the opponent's Mewtwo stronger? Gardevoir only doubles psychic energies for YOUR psychic pokemon

RottingAwesome said:
How does Gardevoir make the opponent's Mewtwo stronger? Gardevoir only doubles psychic energies for YOUR psychic pokemon

Mewtwo does more damage if there is more energy on the defending pokemon and Mewtwo. So, gardevoir gives your pokemon more energy, powering up the opposing Mewtwo.

pokemonjoe said:
Mewtwo does more damage if there is more energy on the defending pokemon and Mewtwo. So, gardevoir gives your pokemon more energy, powering up the opposing Mewtwo.

oh, right, that slipped my mind

Opposing Mewtwos can't actually stop this deck, can they? Are you not just as capable of KOing their Mewtwo (revenge kill or otherwise)?

RottingAwesome said:
oh, right, that slipped my mind

Opposing Mewtwos can't actually stop this deck, can they? Are you not just as capable of KOing their Mewtwo (revenge kill or otherwise)?
Nope, opposing Mewtwos can stop this deck. You can't bring up another Gothitelle, because it needs 3 energy to attack, you can only attach {P}{P} per turn, so you have to bring up Mewtwo. Assuming the opposing Mewtwo has minimum energy to get the ko, your Mewtwo can't revenge kill.

It's a great deck. Mewtwo isn't gonna be a problem to this deck, because even though it can OHKO Gothitelle you'll be able to get the revenge kills and win on prize exchange since Mewtwo is worth two prizes.
I think people forget how huge an advantage you have when being able to use trainers though your opponent is trainer locked.
If opposing Mewtwos with DCE is such an big threat just use a few Lost Removers.

Let's also not forget that Max Potion with a no energy Gothitelle active means Mewtwo has to attach more just to ko it while a benched Gothitelle with 2 energy(4 with Gardevior) to revenge ko and making the opponent waste the energy attachment from before.

pokemonjoe said:
Nope, opposing Mewtwos can stop this deck. You can't bring up another Gothitelle, because it needs 3 energy to attack, you can only attach {P}{P} per turn, so you have to bring up Mewtwo. Assuming the opposing Mewtwo has minimum energy to get the ko, your Mewtwo can't revenge kill.
You can just put up Gothitelle and pass the turn. That takes away their options, so it's clear if they'll be able to KO you or not. You don't have to attack every turn.

RottingAwesome said:
What are your thoughts on this combo?
With Gardevoir out, Gothitelle is hitting 110 for 2 psychic energy cards and 40 more with each additional card you attach to it
When you have Gothitelle out you also don't have to worry about your precious Gardevoir being catchered out (or any other pesky item cards)
Of course, throw in a Mewtwo for good measure and it can also reap the benefits of Gardevoir, or have it attack while you set up your other guys depending on how things work out

I've been seeing a bit of it on the TCGO and really like the idea. I've been very interested in Gardevoir since its translation and this seems to be a nice spot for it to fit

Thoughts, strengths, glaring weaknesses?

This would be a field day for Mewtwo to 1 shot it

If your planning on playing competitvley with this deck your biggest enemy is consistency and speed. Stage 2 decks right now are unfortunatley just to hard to set up in this format especially consistently and thats decks with one stage 2 line. This deck would have two stage 2's you need to set up and it takes up so many spots in your deck to make just one stage 2 line remotley viable.

I have a deck like this, but I run Kyurem/Kyurem EX alongside it. I get my Kyurems out early with the help of Cleffa and/or Lapras, and power them up, then work on getting Ralts and Gothita out and evolving them/getting Gothitelle ready. It's a pretty decent deck, and I've been able to go against a Mewtwo deck and take out 2 out of 3 Mewtwo EX cards with it. However, it does have its problems and there's a lot of luck on the line to get it to work.

The things that wreck it most though are Catchers pulling out a Gothitelle before it's ready, or getting it killed to put it out of the way. Gothitelle works best as a retaliation killer after the opponent took out one of your Pokemon. Also, as a result of Gothitelle's ability, item cards can't be used, so catchers, switches, and dual balls are useless until Gothitelle is taken out (which is usually fast if you're playing a Mewtwo deck).

If you run a deck like this, I suggest you add some stadium cards to mess with CMT's Skyarrow Bridge usability. Only play the stadiums as a way to get rid of Skyarrow bridge, this way, when you take out a Mewtwo, they won't be able to power up another as quickly.

All in all, I like this strategy, and it reminds me a lot of the decks I used to make when I was more active in the card game back in 2001. It's a much slower deck, but it's got a unique and solid strategy.

If only this format didn't seem to hate evolution decks so much.

Back