• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Alt. Format Future: Raticate BREAK / Ariados

TheLunaticHypno

Just your average Hypno fan
if the original post looks differant, than thats why! it is! the original post on this tread, has been copied from the actual deck list below! thanks to everyone who has helped!
New list:
Pokemon: 19
  • 3 Rattata
  • 3 Raticate
  • 3 Radicate Break
  • 3 Spinarak
  • 3 Ariados
  • 2 Machamp EX
  • 2 Remoraid
  • 2 Octillery
Trainers/Supporters/Stadiums: 27
  • 2 Winona
  • 3 Shauna
  • 2 Korrina
  • 1 Lysandre
  • 2 Psychic Mind Readings
  • 2 Fighting Spirit Belt
  • 3 Forest of Giant Plants
  • 2 Switch
  • 2 Professor's Letter
  • 2 Ultra Ball
  • 3 Level Ball
  • 3 VS Seeker
Energy: 13
  • 6 Fighting Energy
  • 3 Double Colorless Energy
  • 4 Strong Energy
Strategy:

I added the Machamp because I think it works better than darkrai hypno/ malamar would. i feel better using the fighting spirit belt, because if I had a muscle band in Machamp, yes it would do the magic number of 180, but with the belt it does 10 more, and gives it +40 hp. Since we are poisoning the active, when their turn rolls around it will add up to 180. (And if we are going against a sceptile ex, although it won't get poisoned, it will knock it out, due to its 170 hp) Oh I forgot! Lol I have the strong energy, so with one of those and two fighting, which isn't that uncommon, it will be doing 200 damage( including poison). Psychic mind reading will be popular in my opinion, especially in glalie decks, because you can throw away trash cards, and get the same amount you threw away. Again, thankyou to all who are helping me with my deck, and all criticism is welcomed, and encouraged.
EDIT: I used the last two empty spaces for another line of octillery

Last edited:
The two might just be too clunky together to work. 21 Pokemon is a lot, and in a deck that runs no sky field, you'll have trouble getting them all out at once.
But I think we can make it work.
Take away:
-2 Muscle Band
This is just a deck that doesn't need those. You're auto OHKOing with Raticate, and doing 160 with Darkrai (not quite enough, but we'll handle that later).
-2 Shadow Circle
Since this is an anti-weakness tech, you don't need four of these.
-3 Darkness Energy
Can replace.
-2-2 Drowzee, Hypno
-2 Evosoda, -1 Wally.
You have Winona for the Raticate line, and with only one other line, you don't need these.
Yes, Malamar is better, both in consistency and if you get stuck with him active.
Add:
+2
Reverse Valley
This is useful in more than just a fighting match-up, as you can now hit for 170 with Darkrai. while this may not be magic 180, the poison from Ariados will make it so.
+3 Sycamore
I hate this card. But no matter what you tell yourself, you still need it.
+3 Rainbow Energy
You'll see why later. Doesn't matter for speed, as you don't run prof. letter anyway.
+3 Malamar EX
As said, Malamar is better you get both better support and bring a bigger threat to the table.
+2 Sceptile EX
This is your anti-weakness tech. Not only is it not weak to fighting, but it can hit Primal Groudon for weakness, and it has perfect synergy with Ariados.
+ 3 Energy Switch
This is to go with Malamar, in case you don't want to "waste" energy on Malamar (he can be either terrible or so good it's actually funny, trust me).

And what about Sparkling robe? You don't need sparkling robe! Here is the only where you would like it:
-You need to OHKO a 180 EX like Seismatoad, and have to poison your own Darkrai to hit him hard enough. The thing here is, you would be toad locked anyway, and wouldn't even be able to put sparkling rode on Darkrai!

There's my version of your deck! Just to be clear, if you're going for budget, stick with you're version. It's the best you can get for cheap.

New list:
POKEMON-19
radicate :3-3-3
ariados :3-3
Machamp ex:2
Octillery:2-2
TRAINERS-27
Winona:2
Shauna:3
Korrina:2
Lysander:1
Psychic mind readings:2
Fighting spirit belt:2
Forest of giant plants:3
Switch:2
Letter:2
Ultra ball:2
Level ball:3
Vs seeker:3
ENERGIES-13
Fighting:6
Dce:3
Strong:4
OPEN SPACE:2 cards
STRATEGY-
I added the Machamp because I think it works better than darkrai hypno/ malamar would. i feel better using the fighting spirit belt, because if I had a muscle band in Machamp, yes it would do the magic number of 180, but with the belt it does 10 more, and gives it +40 hp. Since we are poisoning the active, when their turn rolls around it will add up to 180. (And if we are going against a sceptile ex, although it won't get poisoned, it will knock it out, due to its 170 hp) Oh I forgot! Lol I have the strong energy, so with one of those and two fighting, which isn't that uncommon, it will be doing 200 damage( including poison). Psychic mind reading will be popular in my opinion, especially in glalie decks, because you can throw away trash cards, and get the same amount you threw away. Again, thankyou to all who are helping me with my deck, and all criticism is welcomed, and encouraged.
EDIT: I used the last two empty spaces for another line of octillery

Last edited:
Lookin' good! Seems my work here is done, after I tell you that your two free slots are best spent on 1-1 more remoraid-octillery.
Glad to have helped :)

Could you please update the deck list in the OP to reflect the changes you've made? That way we can avoid any confusion about which list is the current list. Thanks!

Sure! Mora, how do i Quote someone who i want to referance in a post im making?
EDIT:eek:riginal decklist fixed!
EDIT x2 : idk what happened with the emoji lol

Last edited:
I'd be interested to see how Machamp Ex works for you. I've been playing a Champ Ariados for a little while and I think it'd be a lot harder (2F 1 C energy cost) to set up than the new Darkrai (1 D and 1DCE set up) would, especially since he is a secondary focus of the deck. Without Landorus or Bronzong to speed up energy cycles, it might take a little while before your strategy is fully set up. My worry is that you need to set up too many things for your strategy to work. Just something to think about.

I would maybe consider dropping the Champ (as much as it pains me to say). Maybe instead go with another Ex that could effectively us DCE.
I think you could also drop the Korrina's in exchange for Sycamore's. They are essentially a must in cause you have a small/dead hand.

Mr.cubones dad, since you replied to the post, I've been thinking of what could work and right now all I can think of is seismatoad sparkling robe. I though maybe a dragon attacker might be cool because of dde, so Giratina might be cool, as an answer to hard hitting megas, and to stall, putting out 100 damage a turn, or 110 with fighting spirit belt, making it have 210 hp. What exes that abuse dce or dde did you have in mind?

Mr. Mime from breakthrough. Ariados and octillery can get sniped. Plus, you have room for it. Drop 1 fighting energy. Not strong energy.

That is just my opinion because I feel that Ariados can easily get sniped

Mr.cubones dad, since you replied to the post, I've been thinking of what could work and right now all I can think of is seismatoad sparkling robe. I though maybe a dragon attacker might be cool because of dde, so Giratina might be cool, as an answer to hard hitting megas, and to stall, putting out 100 damage a turn, or 110 with fighting spirit belt, making it have 210 hp. What exes that abuse dce or dde did you have in mind?
LunaticHypno,

I was thinking Seismitod Ex to be honest. I think it would probably be better to use that over Girantina. The way I see it, since you are using Raticate you dont really need a hard hitter, Raticate will be dropping your opponent's active to 10hp. What would be better is something you can set up quick and slow your opponent down while you set up your Raticates and Ariados lines. Also if you go with Girantina you need DDE's which can only be attached to that Ex, it's a dead draw if you are looking to power up Raticate. Having Seismitoad is a great Ex that can also take advantage of that DCE and set up quickly.

This is just my thought but you might not even need to run any Sparkling Robe's. In my mind it's another dead draw late game when you are playing Raticate Break. You dont gain anything by poisoning your opponent until your Raticate line is ready to go, so I would say drop those, and give yourself room for more search or draw support.

I will print some Japanese proxies for radicate and Machamp and depending how it goes, I can change it out for seismatoad and test it Sunday. But until then, which do you think is better for seismatoad, muscle band, or spirit belt?

I will print some Japanese proxies for radicate and Machamp and depending how it goes, I can change it out for seismatoad and test it Sunday. But until then, which do you think is better for seismatoad, muscle band, or spirit belt?

Tough to say not having tried out the spirit belt, but I think I would go spirit belt. Seismitoad imo is about disruption and stalling your opponent rather than doing major damage and I think the belt can give you some more staying power to potentially get one more turn of disruption.

Best of luck friend hope, it works out for you on Sunday.

Mr. Mime from breakthrough. Ariados and octillery can get sniped. Plus, you have room for it. Drop 1 fighting energy. Not strong energy.

That is just my opinion because I feel that Ariados can easily get sniped
just to clear things up, are you recommending for me to drop a fighting, and add a mime?

Back