• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Alt. Format Future: Ho-Oh EX

SRreplet51

Aspiring Trainer
Just trying to see if the colorless Ho-oh in the next set can work :)

Pokemon: 11

• 3 Ho-oh EX
  • 1 Manaphy EX
  • 2 Shaymin EX
  • 1 Hoopa EX
  • 2 Altaria
  • 2 Swablu
Trainers/Supporters/Stadiums: 35
  • 4 VS Seeker
  • 4 Ultra Ball
  • 4 Max Elixir
  • 2 Professor's Letter
  • 1 Energy Recycler
  • 2 Startling Megaphone
  • 2 Paint Roller
  • 3 Fighting Spirit Belt
  • 1 Faded Town
  • 4 Professor Sycamore
  • 2 Lysandre
  • 1 Judge
  • 1 Winona
  • 1 Hex Maniac
  • 1 Xerosic
Energy: 14
  • 4 Fire Energy
  • 4 Water Energy
  • 3 Lightning Energy
  • 3 Grass Energy
Strategy:

Charge energy onto ho-oh so that it can opperate at full potential, it's just an idea for the future, want to see if this Ho-oh can even come close to competitive, probably not :p

Translations to the breakpoint set can be found here:
http://www.pokebeach.com/2015/12/rage-of-the-broken-sky

What if you tried it with Parasect (breakthrough) and use colorful spores. It could set up ho-oh EX in two turns with one manual attachment. And if your able to get 3 on the bench you can set them up even quicker. Following as this has peaked my interest!

Use Hoopa-EX to get the three HO-OH EX out there and then colorful spores all the way

I honestly think that this card will not see any play, unless Pokemon releases a special energy car along the lines of, this card acts as all types of energy, and when you attach this card to a Pokemon, put 2 damage counters on that Pokemon. when you attach this card from your hand to a bacic Pokemon, and flip a coin. If heads you may search your deck for a bacic energy of any type and put it on the Pokemon you attached this card to, and if tails this card only acts as all types of energy. (Or some this along those lines, while it is a mouthful.)

I honestly think that this card will not see any play, unless Pokemon releases a special energy car along the lines of, this card acts as all types of energy, and when you attach this card to a Pokemon, put 2 damage counters on that Pokemon. when you attach this card from your hand to a bacic Pokemon, and flip a coin. If heads you may search your deck for a bacic energy of any type and put it on the Pokemon you attached this card to, and if tails this card only acts as all types of energy. (Or some this along those lines, while it is a mouthful.)
I want Double Rainbow Energy back. It would be OP today, as its downside dropped damage by 10, which is not as crucial now as it used to be.

i want double rainbow energy back it would be op today as its downside droped damage by 10 which is not as crucial now as it used to be
Yea but just think about how rediquliously op that would be. With mega man, mega sceptile, and probably more I can't think of requiring a bacic and colorless energy, it would just simply be too op. And just think about seismatoad decks... 8 double colorless. I'll just leave it at that

What if you tried it with Parasect (breakthrough) and use colorful spores. It could set up ho-oh EX in two turns with one manual attachment. And if your able to get 3 on the bench you can set them up even quicker. Following as this has peaked my interest!
That's right I totally overlooked parasect even though I knew it would be good with him hahaha thanks :)

Parasect is a good choice, but you may also consider a 3-3-3 line of Togekiss (ROS) or maybe a couple of Smeargles from Breakthrough. Smeargle also lets you get the boost from the Fire energy to help Ho'oh heal, and then swap it out for an energy to attack.

Parasect is a good choice, but you may also consider a 3-3-3 line of Togekiss (ROS) or maybe a couple of Smeargles from Breakthrough. Smeargle also lets you get the boost from the Fire energy to help Ho'oh heal, and then swap it out for an energy to attack.
Yeah, I didn't even think of that.

Some Vivillon BRT could also work interesting, though it's on a coin flip so it's not too reliable.

I feel like these guys are giving ideas that are too good to be true. Think about how clunky that would all be. What I would suggest is the following Pokémon lineup:

• Pokémon:10
  • 3 Ho-oh EX
  • 2 Shaymin-EX
  • 2 Larvesta
  • 2 Volcarona
  • 1 Smeargle
This way it is far less clunky, but you do need a non-EX attacker, which I guess you could use Volcarona, but idk. Volcarona sets up a lot faster than Parasect, it only needs a 2-2 instead of a 3-3 to be good, and it uses fire energy when it needs to. I think this won't see very much play, but I do want to build it as a cheap, fun deck. I might create a thread of my own for this. :)

Volcarona is also a decent idea, but does mean that you start setting up Ho'oh on turn 3. And you don't know an idea is clunky until you try it...at the moment we're just throwing around ideas anyway.

Yep, it needs some kind of energy acceleration.

Volcarona - stage 1. need Wally to start setting up Ho-oh first turn, and you have to use your first attachment on it. can make use of your Fire Energy in a pinch, but the attack is bad. can start attacking with Ho-oh on T2 if everything goes right for you, but there's also a lot that has to go right...

Parasect - stage 1. don't need to use your Supporter to start setting up on the first turn, just need your Stadium. still have to use your first attachment on it. can set up more than 1 Ho-oh at a time. won't be able to start attacking with Ho-oh until T3 (unless you play Max Elixir or something). can make use of your Grass Energy in a pinch, but the attack is even worse than Volcarona's.

Togekiss - too clunky I think, because it's a stage-2 and you need to devote space to both getting it in play early and ensuring you hit energy on its ability. Even then, no guarantees you'll hit the right colour of energy. You do get to use your manual attachments on Ho-oh unlike with Volcarona/Parasect, and if you get lucky with the ability you can really set up well.

Vivillon - stage-2 still, but at least you have Forest of Giant Plants. you also don't need to devote as much of your deck to basic energy as you do with Togekiss. question is, can you actually manage to get a couple of Vivillon in play T1/T2? the flips are unreliable but if you do manage to get a couple in play really quickly, attacking T2 with Ho-oh is a reasonable expectation. technically, if you manage to get really lucky, you could attack with Ho-oh T1...

I personally don't expect it to be viable, but it's a very interesting card and it will be fun to see what kinds of ideas people come up with to try... I think if it does end up being viable it'd be a really consistent Vivillon list, maybe Parasect w/Max Elixir, I just think Volcarona and Togekiss will be too inconsistent

If Ho-oh is your only attacker it might not be too clunky to run both Parasect and Vivillon for acceleration provided you have enough search (a 3-3 or 3-2 line for Parasect and a 3-2-2 for Vivillon perhaps?) rather than relying on just the one (plus that means if someone is blocking your abilities or stopping you attacking you have a secondary method).

If you really went mad and had a 4-4-4 Vivillon line and a large amount of acceleration (ie maximum roller skates, shaymin counts etc.) you could probably also be set up for sure turn 2 (but again coin flips are a fickle one).

What about to consider Arceus as an alternativ non-ex attacker? (Arceus from the legendary holo collection)

Anyone think of running M Manectric with Ho-Oh EX and just turbo bolt to the Ho-Oh and switching energy around with smeargle? Also I'm thinking of trying out straight Ho-Oh with Vivillon BKT and Miltank as back up attacker.
Also thought about parasect and Golduck break to move all the basic energy around.

I will use beautifly drx for acceleration .i will attach a rainbow energy and get 3 different energies for Ho-Oh ..it will be faster .
Compressors. Forest of giant plants max elixir maybe ether . Fightning fury belt i hope i named it right the one from BP set can make the Hp of Ho-Oh 220 and attack increase by 10 also..and btw i would use 3-4 FA Ho-OH and fa only because fa Ho-Oh looks so adorable :D
I will also keep smeargles

What about to consider Arceus as an alternativ non-ex attacker? (Arceus from the legendary holo collection)
Nope i wouldn't do that tbh

Btw the upcoming Ho-Oh is a great night march counter also if properly used its ability can work really fine

Last edited by a moderator:
Back