Furious Fists Prerelease Report

grantm1999

VileGar
Hello beach people I thought I may as well write about my Furious Fists prerelease report so hopefully it is at least a little entertaining. This was my first prerelease since Legendary Treasures and it was also my first tournament as a Master.

Previous to this tournament I had traded a couple sealed booster boxes for a lot of store credit so I was happy to find out I could use store credit instead of paying 30$ (in which case I would not have played)

This is what I pulled:

1st pack- nothing
2nd pack- nothing
3rd pack- nothing
4th pack- nothing
5th pack- nothing
6th pack- Dragonite EX non-FA

Not horrible but not spectacular.
After a while contemplating my cards and trying to cram everything into my deck, I decided to just cut the crap and run Big Basics. My list looked something like this:

1 Dragonite EX
1 Thundurus
1 Emolga
1 Hitmonlee
1 Hitmontop
1 Makuhita
2 Golett
2 Magmar
2 Skorupi

12 Pokemon

1 Mountain Ring (to counter Training Center)
1 Full Heal
(some more that I forgot)

And the rest was a bizarre combination of 5 basic energy types and a Strong energy.
Strong Energy was the only fighting support I got.

Round 1 vs. Fighting.dek

This round they handed out Machamp Promos and I fortunately got two by mistake!

My opponent started Hawlucha EX and got a hairyama quickly as well, but my Big Basics were fast and applied pressure quickly. She did not get any fighting energies for awhile so Hawlucha EX was not a problem, but if it was I had Dedenne sitting on the bench to deal with it. I swept with Hitmonlee and Golett I think.
1-0

Round 2 vs. Scrub.Hitmontop.dek

This round was against a kid younger than me who was small and had a squeaky voice so I doubt he was actually a master (age division) but whatever. Anywho I was annoyed because he mulliganed twice and my starting hand was Magmar, full heal, and 7 Energies. By Turn 5 he finally had a Hitmontop powered up and I had literally only drawn Energies which was annoying.
1-1

Round 3 vs. Noivern/Landorus

I got Dragonite EX out (finally) quickly and rolled him. He never got a Noivern out but I had Mountain Ring so it would've limited Noivern's effectiveness. It spreads 30.
2-1

Round 4 vs. Leafeon/Shelmet

He started Shelmet to my Thundurus and he only got a Leafeon out. I rolled him pretty easily with Thundurus.
3-1

Round 5 vs. Heracross EX/Lucario EX.dek

yeeeaaaaaah. He started Heracross and rolled me with it easily. I couldn't get Dragonite EX or Dedenne and Thundurus was no match. He also got a fully loaded Lickilicky for the unlickely event (heh) that I KO'ed Heracross.
3-2

8th place

I got top 8 as my first tournament in masters :\ but the real highlight was selling my two packs at the end for 10$!!!

Some kid was being stubborn about his FA Seismitoad EX and then traded it for a Heracross EX and Jirachi EX non-FA... so frustrating...

THE END thanks for reading.

grantm1999 said:
Some kid was being stubborn about his FA Seismitoad EX and then traded it for a Heracross EX and Jirachi EX non-FA... so frustrating...

At our PR, a kid (13-14ish) pulled a Heracross EX and a Seismitoad EX. I offered a FA heracross EX and other items and he said he didn't want another. Then some guy comes up and offers a regular mega heracross EX and the kid without hesitation trades the Seis EX for it o_O

It seems like the new/bad players get the good competitive cards and play them without sleeves.
Like I'm fine with them getting Megas or FA Battle Reporter or what have you, they payed their 30$ too. It just annoys me when they get the rare competitive stuff, play without sleeves, and then just throw them away. (trading bad deals)

Elbow said:
grantm1999 said:

At our PR, a kid (13-14ish) pulled a Heracross EX and a Seismitoad EX. I offered a FA heracross EX and other items and he said he didn't want another. Then some guy comes up and offers a regular mega heracross EX and the kid without hesitation trades the Seis EX for it o_O

Kids have the mindset that Megas > Anything. Kind of frustrating trying to trade with kids sometimes, though there's always that one kid who'll take a couple holos for his FA lol.

grantm1999 said:
It seems like the new/bad players get the good competitive cards and play them without sleeves.
Like I'm fine with them getting Megas or FA Battle Reporter or what have you, they payed their 30$ too. It just annoys me when they get the rare competitive stuff, play without sleeves, and then just throw them away. (trading bad deals)

I don't play, but I know what you mean. Kids pull valuable cards, and then treat them like commons lol.

Nice report, it made me reconsider going to a PR. Maybe I'll go to the Phantom Forces one.

Back