• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Standard Fun Muk Deck (help!)

Zori

Aspiring Trainer
Hello!!
So I've been mulling over the idea of building a fun deck to play at leagues for when I want to just chill out and give my other decks a rest.
I played the new team up Muk at pre-release and honestly had a blast with it!

I dont have much of an idea where to go with it however. I've only got the barest of bones to go off of, since I'm super clueless and new to this meta.

Pokemon [17]
4-4 Grimer/Muk (Poison Sacs)
2 Seviper (More Posion)
2-2 Mareanie/Toxipex (Toxic Spikes)
1 Tapu Lele
1 Tapu Lele GX (Wonder Tag)
1 Oranguru

Trainers [33]
4 Cynthia
3 Guzma
3 Lillie
2 Erika's Hospitality
2 Professor Kukui
1 Acerola

4 Pokemon Communication
3 Nest Balls
2 Buff Padding
2 Choice Band
2 Counter Catcher
2 Field Blower
1 Rescue Stretcher

2 Shrine of Punishment

Energy [10]
8 Psychic Energy
2 Double Colorless Energy

The idea is to get Muk up and going, bench Toxipek and Seviper for constant poison plus more poison damage. Baby Lele to move damage around for needed KOs, Oranguuru for draw and Lele GX for supporter support. I did put dce to try and help to attack with Lele GX just in case.

Would Shuckle GX be a good addition to this deck? Or any of the new Team Up GX cards? What do I need to do with my supporters/trainers to get the most out of everything?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Hi!
I'm guessing that's the one with the ability More Poison? The current list has 2!
I... thought that was Mareanie. Oops!
Consider putting in a Toxapex from Lost Thunder along with a Counter Energy or two.

I... thought that was Mareanie. Oops!
Consider putting in a Toxapex from Lost Thunder along with a Counter Energy or two.

I've definitely thought about adding in the water Toxapex, so do you think a 3-3 line would work well? 2 ability toxapex and 1 LoT Toxapex? What do you think I should take out for the 2 card space though? My first leanings are to knock out the kukui's.

Counter energy is def a good idea. I'll probably take out 2 psychic energy and put 2 in.

I also feel that this deck is probably going to suffer against steel decks but I'll have to playtest to see.

I've definitely thought about adding in the water Toxapex, so do you think a 3-3 line would work well? 2 ability toxapex and 1 LoT Toxapex? What do you think I should take out for the 2 card space though? My first leanings are to knock out the kukui's.

Counter energy is def a good idea. I'll probably take out 2 psychic energy and put 2 in.

I also feel that this deck is probably going to suffer against steel decks but I'll have to playtest to see.
When in doubt, Weakness Policy.

I've been trying out something similar, but with a Pidgeotto line instead of Toxapex; it's not top tier, but it's nice for a few fun games. Your decklist is pretty well constructed, so I'll just make a few points that might help you impove it:
  • Toxapex cetainly seems like an interesting addition since it stops retreating from being a counter-strategy to this deck. Baby Tapu Lele on the other hand doesn't help in any meaningful way; even if you somehow didn't knock anything out with Muk, it requires one too many attachments before moving damage counters around. One more Seviper would certainly be optimal, because you want at least 2 on the bench. Speaking of which, including DCE to enable Seviper to attack is cute, but Muk deals more damage and inflicts better poisoning, so what is the point? Wouldn't it be better to include a Ditto Prism Star to make sure you don't run out of basics to evolve from?
  • Another question; are you attempting to increase Muk's damage to as high as it goes, or are you attempting to turn Muk into a tank that can take a hit? If it's the former, Acerola and Buff Padding are not useful. If it's the latter, Kukui and Choice Band are not useful. You should probably go with one or the other, but not both (your strategy synopsis seems to lean more towards the latter).
  • Also, since you're using Shrine, Shuckle-GX and Tapu-Lele-GX might turn into liabilities, so use them with caution.
  • You're already running 3 Guzma, thus Counter Catcher is a bit overkill. You could and should replace them with Ultra Balls; as good as Poke Comm might be, you're not running that many Pokemon, so it might be dead in your hand (and you should have a way to reduce your hand and draw cards with Oranguru).
  • Also, regarding the Water-type Toxapex and Counter Energy; no, just don't. I've tried a deck tailored around that Toxapex and even there its combo is hard to pull off, so it would be even harder as a side attacker. Moreover, Counter Energy is useless for Muk when you're not losing, and drawing it instead of a basic Psychic when you're ahead might just make you lose your advantage.
Hope this helped.

Back