Discussion Full Art Ultra Ball Price

There is no 'hope it will drop'. It WILL drop.

The hype machine is in full effect here.

Once the set has been out for a bit, I imagine the Ultra Ball will go for around $40

I doubt that it would drop to $40 here because as people see the card price dropping, they will naturally start to hoard them due to greed and those big collectors will just stockpile on them before it dips that low.

I want to say it will drop but there is one thing people are forgetting. This Ultra Ball is a secret rare cards as well and there are 14 in total in the set. I feel if the card was just a normal full art then it would drop since you could realistically get it but chances are it will be 1 in every 2 or so cases to maybe get one.

I would like to point out that Hyper Rares and Secret Rares are different Rarities, and Hyper Rare cards are far more common than Secret Rares. (Based on English and Japanese observations).

I think it'll go up when it goes out of print and while it's in print will remain $100 and the pull rates like all SRs appear to be 1 in 3 boxes, there are 14 SR/HRs making the ratios 1 in 42 boxes, 7 cases or 1 in 1512 packs :p Also, the reason SR UBs are so expensive is because 1. Every deck run 3-4 copies and 2. it's a good investment as UB has never rotated out since it's first appearance in DEX...

Basically: Buy them while you still can ;)

Same reason as comment above, Secret Rares and Hyper Rares are different rarities. There are only 6 "SRs" that have the presumed "1/3 box" ratio making it the same pull rate as the PLF one, 1:432.

I doubt that it would drop to $40 here because as people see the card price dropping, they will naturally start to hoard them due to greed and those big collectors will just stockpile on them before it dips that low.

I would like to point out that Hyper Rares and Secret Rares are different Rarities, and Hyper Rare cards are far more common than Secret Rares. (Based on English and Japanese observations).

Same reason as comment above, Secret Rares and Hyper Rares are different rarities. There are only 6 "SRs" that have the presumed "1/3 box" ratio making it the same pull rate as the PLF one, 1:432.
The HRs do have the same rates as SRs and are considered SRs in english, judging by advertising, how SRs were in the previous 5 sets (minus EVO), box opening pulls, prelease pulls and prices

Last edited:
What I believe is that with the Plasma version lowering to around 100$ from its 180-200$ worth means that the new full art secret rare will take the place of its predecessor and will hold at the 180-200$ value, if this is not immediate; I am certain that several sets down the line it will reach that amount, perhaps more.
But these are just my thoughts on the subject u.u

I respectfully disagree, The Plasma Freeze Ultra Ball currently costs $200-$225 because it is from an older set and is therefore harder to obtain over time. The price may drop a little depending on the popularity of the Secret Rare Ultra Ball from SM1 but the Plasma Freeze Ultra Ball should stand firm in its price. I believe the SM1 Ultra Balls price will fluctuate over time due to hype and drop rate. I will say that if I somehow pull one, it will be sold ASAP because i am betting that the price will only go down.

I respectfully disagree, The Plasma Freeze Ultra Ball currently costs $200-$225 because it is from an older set and is therefore harder to obtain over time. The price may drop a little depending on the popularity of the Secret Rare Ultra Ball from SM1 but the Plasma Freeze Ultra Ball should stand firm in its price. I believe the SM1 Ultra Balls price will fluctuate over time due to hype and drop rate. I will say that if I somehow pull one, it will be sold ASAP because i am betting that the price will only go down.
Have you checked eBay all of them are around $100 and just because it's old doesn't mean it's valuable, I mean look at the DP and HS era cards they are pretty cheap. Also, once SM gets old it will definitely be more, since they were expensive since every deck needs 3-4 of them not because they're old

I disagree with your disagreement =p
Your pricing is really off. The Plasma Freeze Ultra Ball is no longer in the 200 range.
Also, my thoughts on the subject are based purely on history. When the Ultra Ball from Plasma Freeze was released it was around 40 bucks, but over time it reached the 200 buck area a few sets down the line, the reason for this is because it's a staple card, or a card that is used in most decks; and has been this way for a long time, when people want to bling out their decks they generally want to get the highest rarity of that card available, at the time it was the secret rare from Plasma Freeze, which prompted its value to rise not solely for its competitive use but its collectability as well. However, with the release of the even more gorgeous full art secret rare Ultra Ball from Sun Moon base the Plasma version saw a decrease in value as it lost its title as the most amazing Ultra Ball print so far, as people will flock to get the new version instead. In a way think of it like this, if you get a pack of Roaring Skies, would you value a Regular Shaymin Ex more than a Full Art Shaymin Ex? this thinking leads me to believe that while the Plasma version came out first, people will want the full art version more.
*Meaning that the value of the Sun Moon one will always remain higher than the Plasma one from now on.* <- Speculation.
Anyway, with the Sun and Moon set released today, and more people pulling Ultra Ball secret rares from packs, the price of it will undoubtedly drop a bit for now and stay around the current price for awhile. Until a few sets down the line when there are less Sun and Moon base set packs out there thus less Ultra Balls, this will absolutely cause the price to go up as it did for the Plasma Freeze version.
As for selling it right now if you pulled it, you might end up like the people that sold or traded off their Ultra Balls when Plasma Freeze was new, who ended up kicking themselves later when the price rose.

Last edited:
The prices for successfully sold ebay listings range from 85-100 USD. That being said, there aren't that many since the set hasn't officially been out for more than a day at this point. The pull rates for SM seem to be a lot better than previous expansions, based on some booster box vids I've seen. One guy opened 6 booster boxes of SM in a row and pulled an average of 3-4 UR/FA-UR, 2HR, and 1 SR every single box. Hopefully that proves to be accurate for the majority of others. I plan on buying a booster box so I can resell any FA cards I pull, since I seem to be the only person who specifically dislikes FA cards and playing with them. I find them to be way too distracting, and they really make a deck look inconsistent design-wise.

However, with the release of the even more gorgeous full art secret rare Ultra Ball from Sun Moon base the Plasma version saw a decrease in value as it lost its title as the most amazing Ultra Ball print so far
And I will disagree with this point completely

the BW SR of Ultra ball is probably the most beautiful ultra ball we will ever see, the full art version is too much. I shines and has these big sparkles and I just hate the way it looks. On the other hand, the Plasma freeze variant is simple yet beautiful in the way that the ultra ball shines just that way. Ive always loved the BW ultra ball art so I might have bias, but when it comes to most amazing ultra ball, I dont think that any full art ultra ball will ever outclass the Plasma Freeze one

one more counter point to my disagreement, if your deck runs all full arts then I think its okay to run the full art UB, but the Plasma Freeze UB works better in decks that dont run all full arts

It's gonna hover around the $100 mark while the card is still in print and there's many on the market, (a friend of mine sold his for $120), but it will very well go up down the line like we saw with the PLF version.

Back