Ruling Frozen City vs M Sceptile-EX

Ratpool

Aspiring Trainer
Hi there! I was wondering what will happen if for example I have Frozen City in play and my opponent uses M Sceptile's Jagged Saber?
  • If the opponent put energies from his/her hand using Jagged Saber, should Frozen City trigger?
  • If Frozen City triggers, then what happens? You clean the damage and then put 2 damage counters (which I think is the right action)? or you put the 2 counters and then clean the damage?
Thanks for your assitance!

Attachments

• frozen-city-plasma-freeze-plf-100-ptcgo-1.png
    frozen-city-plasma-freeze-plf-100-ptcgo-1.png
    291.3 KB · Views: 8
  • m-sceptile-ex-ancient-origins-aor-8-312x441.jpg
    m-sceptile-ex-ancient-origins-aor-8-312x441.jpg
    131.4 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
You're attaching Energy from your hand, so Frozen City triggers. Both of these are mandatory effects on a Pokemon you control, so you get to pick the order in which they are applied. You can choose either order each time this triggers.

You're attaching Energy from your hand, so Frozen City triggers. Both of these are mandatory effects on a Pokemon you control, so you get to pick the order in which they are applied. You can choose either order each time this triggers.

Thanks for the answer! But that raised another question in my mind: When you put down an energy from the hand because of the Jagged Saber, you are in the middle of an attack effect, right? So the order of actions should not be 1-complete attack's effect, 2-Then check for other effects triggered? Or both can happen in the same time (attack and stadium effects)?

The Frozen City check happens in the middle of the other effect. Similar rulings have been made involving Frozen City.

Just as an additional reminder, if the damage from Frozen City would be enough to Knock Out the Pokemon that you attached the Energy to, it would be completely healed and stay in play if you choice to do the damage first and then heal. The game doesn't check for Knock Outs until all of an action's effects are resolved, so any lethal damage that occurs in the middle of the effect but is healed of is effectively void.

Back