Ruling Fossils

Bunnylover

Aspiring Trainer
If my own starting pokemon in my hand is Dome, Old Amber, or Helix fossil, can I play it as my starting pokemon since all of them state "Play this card as a colorless basic pokemon"?

ApachePrime

Aspiring Trainer
Bunnylover said:
If my own starting pokemon in my hand is Dome, Old Amber, or Helix fossil, can I play it as my starting pokemon since all of them state "Play this card as a colorless basic pokemon"?

Not only can you, but you HAVE to if they are the only possible choices. If you have no Basic Pokemon in your hand, but have a fossil, you MUST start with it.

J

Juliacoolo

That's only partially true. You could have say, chatot, Uxie, and Skull fossil as your starting hand. As long as you only play the skull fossil, you may do so, since your hand id private info., and they can't prove you had other playable basics.

PMJ

happy thoughts
Forum Head
Articles Head
Elite Member
Advanced Member
Did you read what he said at all?

ApachePrime said:
If you have no Basic Pokemon in your hand

What he said is completely true.

banuffin

Luvs the Eevee
Juliacoolo said:
That's only partially true. You could have say, chatot, Uxie, and Skull fossil as your starting hand. As long as you only play the skull fossil, you may do so, since your hand id private info., and they can't prove you had other playable basics.

I'm not sure the above statement is correct. Per the compendium:

Q. If you have a basic and one or more fossil cards, can you treat any or all fossils in your opening hand as Basic Pokémon?
A. Yes, you can start the game with a Fossil Trainer card as your Active Pokémon, and put a normal Basic Pokémon on your Bench (or vice-versa). (Oct 16, 2003 PUI Rules Team)

So far I've not seen anything in the compendium that overrides this ruling (though the compendium is huge and has tons of info in it, so I may be missing it), but if there is someone please feel free to quote the specific ruling.

This would also seem to indicate that you can play multiple fossils while starting, which is something I've seen people on here say you cannot do.

King Arceus

Aspiring Trainer
Elite Member
Advanced Member
There is no ruling that overides it. Yes you can put multiple fossils in play during set-up. I really wish people would not answer if they are wrong or are unsure. They should just wait until someone that is a professor, such as myself, posts the correct response.

RB Golbat

Pride, Style, Dedication
While we are on the subject of Fossils, are they allowed to be the only Basic Pokemon in my deck, or do I have to have an actual basic Pokemon in my deck?

PokeChamp

Aspiring Trainer
RB Golbat said:
While we are on the subject of Fossils, are they allowed to be the only Basic Pokemon in my deck, or do I have to have an actual basic Pokemon in my deck?

Fossils are counted as Trainer cards for the purpose of being used in a deck, and therefore, you cannot play only Fossils in your deck. You must have at least one basic Pokemon in your deck excluding any Fossils.