Discussion Fossil Lock viability (Omastar + Gengar/Mimikyu TTGX)

Catastrophia

PokéBeach Articles Editor
Articles Staff
Hi all,

I would like to start a discussion on whether you think that the fossil lock build with Gengar & Mimikyu-GX and Omastar (TEU 76) is a viable deck in the 2020 format?

I've been doing some testing and I by no means think it's tier one, but I like it as a spicy rogue deck for leagues and cups. The list (minus some bits obviously) did will in Japan back in February, and as most decks are relying on filling the bench now that gusting isn't as big of an issue I think that it gets a bit stronger, plus the upside that it's less likely for them to gust up your Omastar on the bench.

If you're not that familiar with the deck, it relies on locking your opponent's hand full of item cards with Omastar's Fossil Bind ability and then cleaning up with the Gengar & Mimikyu that does 50X the number of trainers in your opponent's hand as damage. This inevitably leads them to either accepting the item lock and trying to work around it all game or keeping their bench small which ideally would hinder their progress and pace throughout the game.

The only deck that I know which doesn't suffer from denying Pokemon from the bench is ReshiZard, which should, in theory, still be an okay matchup as the fire engine relies on playing lots of trainers in the deck (I haven't had the opportunity to test against ReshiZard really).

Let me know what you think, or if you have any suggestions to make the deck stronger in the upcoming format.

I'll leave a link to my current list which I'm testing with, so feel free to tear it to shreds!

Pokefam

300 something/400
I think the concept could be fun and a stamp plus item lock is a very good comeback mechanic. I think it might struggle vs mally but can probably blow right through pikarom.

The army of tina's seems very bad for this deck

Catastrophia

PokéBeach Articles Editor
Articles Staff
I think the concept could be fun and a stamp plus item lock is a very good comeback mechanic. I think it might struggle vs mally but can probably blow right through pikarom.

The army of tina's seems very bad for this deck
Yeah, you're not wrong. They aren't hitting for weakness, but they will definitely chip away so the prize trade will be iffy unless you can reliably pull off the double Mixed Herbs play and make it more than a 2HKO. For that reason, I'm considering adding some Great Potions but not sure what to cut...

There is also the bad Dark Box matchup, so maybe worth playing 1 of Mewtwo & Mew-GX to counter that.