Discussion Forretress vs. Crobat

Vaultboy91

Aspiring Trainer
Which one do you think makes the best partner for M Gallade? Both obviously have advantages and disadvantages. Both help out M Gallade in different ways. Forretress damages the opponent's whole bench so M Gallade can sweep the whole bench. This is a big advantage against decks that use low hp stage 1 Pokemon as main attackers or as support. Forretress also frees up a lot of space in your deck. The fact that its a non Psychic attacker is somewhat useful.

The Crobat line is very good at targeting specific Pokemon. It can let M Gallade easily KO low hp support EX's and can soften up main attackers quite a bit. Also the Bats provide a pivot which is useful.

What do you guys think? What are some other good potential partners for M Gallade? There are lots of Pokemon that can hit the bench. Noivern or Trevenant could be potentially interesting with the right set up. Also in general, I think Manectric EX is a good secondary attacker in a M Gallade deck. Its first attack goes with the theme of doing bench damage and its second attack helps a lot against Yveltal EX and Rayquaza EX decks.

bbninjas

Ready or Not!
Advanced Member
I think Bats are better than Forretress. They have good retreat, a particularly useful attack and is better for building up snipe damage to take more precise KOs. Bats are also difficult to take down, especially if you scoop them up after taking damage. The extra attack of Forretress honestly is not overally useful. When hitting Fairy, it'd do roughly the same (accounting weakness) or less than M-Gallade, as most Fairy have low retreats. Even against the 4-retreat monsters, Forretress maxes at 100 damage without boosts. Dusknoir BCR could be a useful partner with Forretress, however...

Last edited:

Ivy_Profen

Aspiring Trainer
Doesn't golbats attack do 10 to each of ur opponents pokemon for 1 colorless. With the stadium thats a free attack and if golbat survives he can be scooped up or evolved to support your deck even more.

DarkMatterGaming

Aspiring Trainer
You could also play around with the idea of Noivern and Double Dragon energy. 30 to everything on Bench, plus it's a flip to see if it takes damage from attacks or not.

Luispipe8

Pokémon Professor
Guys, let's remember we're trying to fit all of this into a M-Gallade-EX deck. xD Neither Noivern or Dusknoir fit the deck unless you are allowed to run an 80-card deck.

The Gallade list I've been testing includes:

3-3 M-Gallade
4-4-4 Crobat (I played 3 Crobat before, but ended up discarding one most of the time)
1 Chandelure-EX

With Gallade you don't necessarily want to hit 30 to everything. With this list, I intend to focus the damage in a single target as much as possible to potentially force a 3-4 prize attack. And if you ever feel like attacking everybody, you just use Chandelure's or Golbat's attack. They do better what Forretress can't consistently in this deck: be a secondary attacker.

DarkMatterGaming

Aspiring Trainer
I'm tired and I'm feeling the stress of allergies. xD

I'll probably play around with that build, but I'm also super curious to see if the Noivern build would also work.

Back on topic, however, the Bat line does overall help MeGallade more than the Forretress line.

lrodjrod

Aspiring Trainer
Crobats are way better because of SSU.
Forrestress is kinda boring anyways, bats have way more versatility in a psychic deck

Vaultboy91

Aspiring Trainer
Hmm, I didn't even take into account that the Bats could be used as attackers. Golbat would have a big advantage over Forretress there since most likely it would be able to attack for free. Forretress would need two energy attachments since this deck wouldn't run DCE. My thinking for using Forretress was that it would give you an advantage against Metal or Fairy decks by adding damage to the main attackers as well as the support Pokemon.

I think Noivern with DDE is a very intriguing option. Especially because of its ability. If its able to survive long enough to get two or three attacks off, M-Gallade would be set to start sweeping everything. I feel like that would be a super fun way to play, but the Bats would probably be more consistent overall.

Ahh okay. It makes sense that it would be better to focus your damage on the biggest threats and get multiple KO turns on those threats. What about Wobbuffet as a secondary attacker? It already pairs well with Bats and M-Gallade would add even more damage. Plus it could be very useful to shut down abilities at certain points in the game.

DarkMatterGaming

Aspiring Trainer
I think Noivern with DDE is a very intriguing option. Especially because of its ability. If its able to survive long enough to get two or three attacks off, M-Gallade would be set to start sweeping everything. I feel like that would be a super fun way to play, but the Bats would probably be more consistent overall.

Ahh okay. It makes sense that it would be better to focus your damage on the biggest threats and get multiple KO turns on those threats. What about Wobbuffet as a secondary attacker? It already pairs well with Bats and M-Gallade would add even more damage. Plus it could be very useful to shut down abilities at certain points in the game.

It would be more consistent to use Bats, but where's the fun in that? ...Okay, actually winning, but!

It'd shut off Eggs, Empoleon, PrC Ninetales... The damage would just be a very nice treat on top of everything. I say go for it!

PMJ

happy thoughts
Forum Head
Articles Head
Elite Member
Advanced Member
What if you used both of them?

Both cards have strong points. Crobat delivers more focused snipes and can double as a secondary attacker, and Forretress can damage everyone at once without using up your attack, at the cost of less synergy with the deck as a whole.

So, then, what if you used a slightly lighter Crobat line (since you're already using scoopy cards) to fit in a 1-1 Forretress in? It could be used at virtually any time, but it really shines in the Rayquaza matchup, allowing you to OHKO every Exeggcute on their field and, if you have Lysandre on the same turn, a Shaymin-EX for a potential four-prize turn.

Luispipe8

Pokémon Professor
Hm, that's actually very intriguing, PMJ. My Gallade list has been doing good so far with just Crobat, but I'd have to try that out.

Vaultboy91

Aspiring Trainer
Haha, I might have to try out the Noivern set up just because it seems so fun. I'm very new to the card game, so I'm not gonna be winning any tournaments any time soon. Also Wobbuffet would slow down Rayquaza by shutting down Shaymin EX to.

PMJ- I like that idea. That could definitely work too. If you were using Bats to target another Shaymin EX, you could potentially get all six prizes in one turn, w/out even dealing with M-Rayquaza. A pretty slight possibility but a possibility non the less.