P!P/Rules Format Predictions

GengarGuys

"Pickle Enthusiast"
What sets do you think will be in the Expanded format and Standard format come september? Here are my predictions.

Standard: FFI-FOC
Expanded: XY-FOC

PRC-On seems the most likely rotation, as it gets rid of the oldest year of sets currently in standard (XY to PHF).

For Expanded, I'm going to guess there's going to be no rotation of anything.

Guesses without explanation don't contribute to substantive discussion. It's getting close enough that speculation is fine, but back up your predictions with some kind of reasoning.

Presuming that thought is put into rotation, I think that standard going to ROS on would make a lot of sense. It would shake up the meta pretty massively with PHF leaving, but would keep Shaymin EX in play, which would maintain quite a lot of the games speed on setup. Seems like that would make for a very healthy meta.

I am in favor of the PRC-on Rotation for standard. Rotations usually occur at the beginning or end of major mechanics/games. PRC lines up with the first ORAS set, and is the first set with ATs. For Expanded, I think it will be either a BW-on format or NXD-on format. The NXD is because that was a previous rotation, but TPCi might look to rotate the entire BW block all together.

Presuming that thought is put into rotation, I think that standard going to ROS on would make a lot of sense. It would shake up the meta pretty massively with PHF leaving, but would keep Shaymin EX in play, which would maintain quite a lot of the games speed on setup. Seems like that would make for a very healthy meta.
Remember that VS seeker got a reprint in Ancient Origins as a secret rare. So we have that for standard still :)

I think the next rotation will be Primal Clash onwards. TCG 2014 used all of the BW-era cards, and Worlds of TCG 2015 allowed Plasma Storm onwards.

The releases for Black/White 2 and Plasma Storm were roughly a month apart if we go by release dates in Japan, so let's operate under the assumption that Plasma Storm marked the introduction of Black/White 2. If we go by this, the cards that were allowed for Worlds 2015 were cards that were released during the Black/White 2 games (Plasma Storm to Legendary Treasures) and the XY era (XY Base to Flashfire). Pokemon X/Y and Pokemon Black/White 2 were the last 2 games to be released at the time, so if we operate under the assumption that Standard will only consist of cards released during the time span of the last 2 mainstream Pokemon games, the oldest set allowed in Standard next year will be Primal Clash, since that set marked the beginning of the Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire games. As an aside, if I had to guess what Expanded will be like, I would say that it will only consist of cards from the last 2 generations of the mainstream series (BW' 5th gen and XY's 6th gen at this moment).

Fall Regionals for the 2016-'17 season will probably just be Expanded like it is right now, but once we get to Winter or Spring Regionals and the Sun/Moon generation gets a few sets, we'll have to work with PC-onwards as the Standard format.

I think the next rotation will be Primal Clash onwards. TCG 2014 used all of the BW-era cards, and Worlds of TCG 2015 allowed Plasma Storm onwards.

The releases for Black/White 2 and Plasma Storm were roughly a month apart if we go by release dates in Japan, so let's operate under the assumption that Plasma Storm marked the introduction of Black/White 2. If we go by this, the cards that were allowed for Worlds 2015 were cards that were released during the Black/White 2 games (Plasma Storm to Legendary Treasures) and the XY era (XY Base to Flashfire). Pokemon X/Y and Pokemon Black/White 2 were the last 2 games to be released at the time, so if we operate under the assumption that Standard will only consist of cards released during the time span of the last 2 mainstream Pokemon games, the oldest set allowed in Standard next year will be Primal Clash, since that set marked the beginning of the Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire games. As an aside, if I had to guess what Expanded will be like, I would say that it will only consist of cards from the last 2 generations of the mainstream series (BW' 5th gen and XY's 6th gen at this moment).

Fall Regionals for the 2016-'17 season will probably just be Expanded like it is right now, but once we get to Winter or Spring Regionals and the Sun/Moon generation gets a few sets, we'll have to work with PC-onwards as the Standard format.
There are so many things wrong here. The 2014 Worlds format was NXD-on. For 2015, it BCR-(The first BW2 set) on. XY era is technically from XY-present (I think). All of the sets do start with XY. Did you forget about ORAS in the last two games? In fact, none of your stuff about the last 2 mainstream games work. Last year, there were 3. Also, PRC-on would be the last 1 game. Also, the rotation always happens after Worlds, with one exception (2010-2011 season). Furthermore, you say leave Expanded as is. Then you use regionals as a guidelines of when to rotate Standard, and regionals are Expanded only events, so it makes no sense for you to make a correlation there.

For me, I can them them going towards a Primal Clash-On format for standard simply because it removes a lot of cards from the card pool, which would re-balance a lot of other cards and leave 8 sets in standard, though I can see them getting rid of the traits as well just to avoid odd card interactions. For Expanded I can see them just getting rid of BW and going right to XY on for that.

I don't think Expanded will change at all. If there were going to be a rotation there, they'd had done it last year too.

For Standard, I think it'll be PCR-On, since its the first set of the ORAS era and, if I'm not making a mistake, the average number of sets getting rotated is 4 (so XY-PhF)

We've had multiple threads pop up on this in the last few months. Here is a quote from one of them for reference as it covers the history of past rotations:

One also should be careful about trying to predict the rotation. To give you an idea:

• Four sets rotated for the Rocket-On (2001 to 2002) Format - Base Set, Jungle, Fossil, Base Set 2
  • Three sets rotated for the Neo-on or Neon (2002 to 2003) Format - Team Rocket, Gym Heroes, Gym Challenge
  • Five sets rotated for the E-card On or Eon (2003 to 2004) Format - Neo Genesis, Neo Discovery, Neo Revelation, Neo Destiny, Legendary Collection
  • Three sets rotated for the RS-On (2004 to 2005) Format - Expedition, Aquapolis, Skyridge
  • Four sets rotated for the HL-On (2005 to 2006) Format - EX: Ruby & Sapphire, EX: Sandstorm, EX: Dragons, EX: Team Magma vs Team Aqua
  • Three sets rotated for the DX-On (2006 to 2007) Format - EX: Hidden Legends, EX: FireRed & LeafGreen, EX: Team Rocket Returns
  • Five sets were rotated for the HP-On (2007 to 2008) Format - EX: Deoxys, EX: Emerald, EX: Unseen Forces, EX: Delta Species, EX: Legend Maker
  • Four sets were rotated for the first DP-On (2008 to 2009) Format - EX: Holon Phantoms, EX: Crystal Guardians, EX: Dragon Frontiers, EX: Power Keepers
  • Zero sets were rotated for the second DP-On (2009-2010) Format - This is the only time this has happened since set rotation began.
  • Four sets were rotated for the MD-On (2010-2011) Format - Diamond & Pearl, DP: Mysterious Treasures, DP: Secret Wonders, DP: Great Encounters
  • Seven sets were rotated for the HS-On (2011-2012) Format - DP: Majestic Dawn, DP: Legends Awakened, DP: Stormfront, Platinum, PL: Rising Rivals, PL: Supreme Victors, PL: Arceus
  • Five sets were rotated for the BW-On (2012-2013) Format - HearGold/SoulSilver, HS: Unleashed, HS: Undaunted, HS: Triumphant, Call of Legends
  • Three sets were rotated for the NXD-On (2013-2014) Format - Black & White, BW: Emerging Powers, BW: Noble Victories
  • Three sets were rotated for the BCR-On (2014-2015) Format - BW: Next Destinies, BW: Dark Explorers, BW: Dragons Exalted
  • Five sets were rotated out for the XY-On (2015-2016) Format - BW: Boundaries Crossed, BW: Plasma Storm, BW: Plasma Freeze, BW: Plasma Blast, Legendary Treasures
Obviously I did not list promo cards or miniature sets.

While other circumstances matter, this does suggest things can vary quite a bit. As few as no sets is possible, as many as seven is not unprecedented. The average is a little under four, with four being the middle value as well, and most common is three sets.

Adding to it, here are some other useful statistics for sets rotated for Standard:

Minimum: Zero
Maximum: 7
Mean: 3.87 (rounded)
Median: 4
Mode: 3

This has been the first year for Expanded as a format, so we don't have any past data for it. My preference is that they don't subdivide an era; keep all of BW or drop all of it. If they go with the latter, they might consider making the Legacy Format from the PTCGO something official (though rarely used) for P!P events. Not just my preference, but my analysis is that rotating out only a few BW sets will make it a bit too difficult to keep track of both Standard and Expanded. Might seem silly, but really try and wrap your head around it; as an experienced player it will be awkward, I would hate to think what it would be like for a novice or even just a younger player.

What I consider most likely for Standard is one of three options
  • If Expanded has no rotation, then Standard remains XY-On.
  • PRC-On for many of the reasons others have given.
  • ROS-On for many of the reasons others have given.
Seems kind of lame, so let me add that XY: Double Crisis and similar mini-sets may affect cut offs, depending on whether or not the-powers-that-be wish to have to deal with them in the future. In the case of XY: Double Crisis, PRC-On means "Keep it" while ROS-On means "Cut it".

Back