What do you think

• wow this guy is crazy and luxray is a good card

Votes: 49 79.0%
  • i see his point but it is an alright card

Votes: 8 12.9%
  • i agree with him fuly that luxray lvx is awful

Votes: 5 8.1%

• Total voters
we have completely different styles on deck building in general, but since you've asked i've won quite a few regionals and placed in the top 20 at a couple worlds event's before most of the people here on the forum's started playing pokemon, i'm a rather older and experienced rouge deck player, were as he stick's to the cut and paste of the meta. so next time if your going to attack me please understand the fine line between rouge and meta before contradicting yourself. cya

varit said:
we have completely different styles on deck building in general, but since you've asked i've won quite a few regionals and placed in the top 20 at a couple worlds event's before most of the people here on the forum's started playing pokemon, i'm a rather older and experienced rouge deck player, were as he stick's to the cut and paste of the meta. so next time if your going to attack me please understand the fine line between rouge and meta before contradicting yourself. cya

I made no differentiation between rogue and meta. Not playing a card because it's common is stupid. Being creative is great, but claiming someone has no skill because they are playing a known good deck is stupid. I didn't attack you, I politely let you know you're out of line.

"Meta" is meta for a reason: It wins more often than most everything else. Which is what Luxray does. Luxray GL and it's level X are spectacular cards, and played by quite a few people because of that. If you want to be creative, that's great. Don't bash others for playing good cards, and don't think you're better than anyone because you play rogue. Being rogue proves nothing but narrow minded-ness, it does not prove you're more skilled than anyone.

Also, "rouge" is a powder that is used as a makeup. It's french for "red". Rogue is the word you're trying to use.

Additionally, your age nor the amount of time you've been playing have any weight on your skill as a player. "Quite a few Regionals" is too vague to be credible, and Considering we've only had 5 Worlds Events, your idea of "making it" before people here started playing is laughable.

Kraai said:
Luxray is just broken.

I'm sick of seeing it and hearing about it.
How about some creativity people?

I second this.

ApachePrime said:
I made no differentiation between rogue and meta. Not playing a card because it's common is stupid. Being creative is great, but claiming someone has no skill because they are playing a known good deck is stupid. I didn't attack you, I politely let you know you're out of line.

"Meta" is meta for a reason: It wins more often than most everything else. Which is what Luxray does. Luxray GL and it's level X are spectacular cards, and played by quite a few people because of that. If you want to be creative, that's great. Don't bash others for playing good cards, and don't think you're better than anyone because you play rogue. Being rogue proves nothing but narrow minded-ness, it does not prove you're more skilled than anyone.

Also, "rouge" is a powder that is used as a makeup. It's french for "red". Rogue is the word you're trying to use.

Additionally, your age nor the amount of time you've been playing have any weight on your skill as a player. "Quite a few Regionals" is too vague to be credible, and Considering we've only had 5 Worlds Events, your idea of "making it" before people here started playing is laughable.
Playing rogue doesn't mean your narrow minded. I play rogue as well, and the only metagame I've dabbled in is Charizard. I don't see why people can't use other cards, besides Garchomp C and Luxray GL. Playing a good card is great, but Luxchomp is too repetitive, and I'm sick of hearing it. For all you know, that isn't the best card in the format. Your too stubborn to think outside of the box and see there's more cards with more possibilities. Wow, I just can't wait to see Luxray be rotated next year, and see you and other Luxchomp players scramble to make a new good deck.

Lou Cypher said:
^^ I can tell you why you won - you've beaten a bona fide n00b.

Luxray should not just be used for attacking. Just that dragging power is what is amazing. Using it at least 5 times in a game is sick. Yes the trainers help him a lot and yes without them he wouldn't be half so good...but it's the total package that makes him awesome.

Lou, please don't flame here like ya always do. Thanks a lot.

PikachewTofu said:
Playing rogue doesn't mean your narrow minded. I play rogue as well, and the only metagame I've dabbled in is Charizard. I don't see why people can't use other cards, besides Garchomp C and Luxray GL. Playing a good card is great, but Luxchomp is too repetitive, and I'm sick of hearing it. For all you know, that isn't the best card in the format. Your too stubborn to think outside of the box and see there's more cards with more possibilities. Wow, I just can't wait to see Luxray be rotated next year, and see you and other Luxchomp players scramble to make a new good deck.

Purposefully avoiding cards because someone else is playing them is narrow minded. Playing a rogue deck to be creative and exploit a meta is smart. I've played crazy ridiculous decks, and even won a BR against Steve Silvestro with Blaziken/Blaziken FB. I played Promo Cressellia/Darkrai at the marathon in Georgia, one of the most competitive string of events in the world. I have no intention of playing LuxChomp at BRs, but I don't go around saying I'm any better than someone who is playing LuxChomp. There is no fault in playing a deck that any other person is playing. If you're sick of hearing about it, ignore it. Garchomp C and Luxray GL are amazingly well designed cards, and have an entire engine built to help them. The discussion of this thread was not "Are you sick of Luxray GL Lvl X?" It was "Is this really a good card?" and yes, it REALLY is a good card. That is why so many people play it in so many decks. The same goes for Garchomp C.

PikachewTofu said:

From the description given by varit, the person he was playing was inexperienced and did not know how to react to a simple weakness matched deck. He also explained why he felt the way he did. I would hardly consider that flaming.

Luxray isn't over hyped, hyped yes but it earned that hype. on release it was a case of 'wow i can play about with my opponents field' as time went on people decided 'I want to more of this' and thus did so, then it finally got paired with garchomp after alot of mixed press about garchomp, and then BAM BDIF.

If that isn't hype well earned i don't know what is, luxray used to just be a 'good' lv. X now its the card to beat

ApachePrime said:
Purposefully avoiding cards because someone else is playing them is narrow minded. Playing a rogue deck to be creative and exploit a meta is smart. I've played crazy ridiculous decks, and even won a BR against Steve Silvestro with Blaziken/Blaziken FB. I played Promo Cressellia/Darkrai at the marathon in Georgia, one of the most competitive string of events in the world. I have no intention of playing LuxChomp at BRs, but I don't go around saying I'm any better than someone who is playing LuxChomp. There is no fault in playing a deck that any other person is playing. If you're sick of hearing about it, ignore it. Garchomp C and Luxray GL are amazingly well designed cards, and have an entire engine built to help them. The discussion of this thread was not "Are you sick of Luxray GL Lvl X?" It was "Is this really a good card?" and yes, it REALLY is a good card. That is why so many people play it in so many decks. The same goes for Garchomp C.

PikachewTofu said:

From the description given by varit, the person he was playing was inexperienced and did not know how to react to a simple weakness matched deck. He also explained why he felt the way he did. I would hardly consider that flaming.

Who is Steve Silvestro? I've heard of 'THE' Stephen Silvestro, but I doubt you have ever played him.

PikachewTofu said:
Who is Steve Silvestro? I've heard of 'THE' Stephen Silvestro, but I doubt you have ever played him.

Well, I live in Central Florida. I play him at league when he's on this side of the state. I won a Battle Road in Cocoa, FL by beating him in Top 2 (His Speed Machamp against my Blaze/BlazeFB). I also won a Battle Road in his home town of Dunellon, FL. I played him and won in swiss (His Gengar/Blaziken FB against my Donphan/Manectric), and then Top 2'd against Jim Roll to Win another Victory medal.

This has nothing to do with the topic at hand, however.

Edit: Steve's just a guy. You gotta understand, he's just someone we play Pokemon with around here. Jason K shows up to tournaments. Hell, at the GA marathon I think at one point we had 5 World Champs in the room. Why wouldn't I have ever played Steve?

Edit 2: Not to say Steve isn't good at Pokemon. He makes some of the toughest matches look like child's play, and he's a blast to play with.
Edit 3: Just to add more credibility, added what Steve and I were playing at those BRs.

thanks for the diction and continuation of bashing me for absolutely no reason, i'm not saying that rouge is above anything, i'm just saying that i have a different style of play, not to mention that a part of being a rogue player is to understand the meta as much as possible to counter it in a way. As i've said before luxray gl lv.X is very useful and flexible which makes it such a desirable card, but it is over hyped because it has offered a wide amount of usage in the format, it has created various fame because of that and that is hype, hench it's over hyped. cya

Sam,
It is not near as much the card as the player. It takes a skilled player to play any deck. Give a Noob luxchomp, and chances are he won't do that well. It takes skill. While luxray is a great card, it isn't unbeatable. P.S. I am playing Luxchomp for our Battle Roads, but I am in masters this year.

Jacob

varit said:
thanks for the diction and continuation of bashing me for absolutely no reason, i'm not saying that rouge is above anything, i'm just saying that i have a different style of play, not to mention that a part of being a rogue player is to understand the meta as much as possible to counter it in a way. As i've said before luxray gl lv.X is very useful and flexible which makes it such a desirable card, but it is over hyped because it has offered a wide amount of usage in the format, it has created various fame because of that and that is hype, hench it's over hyped. cya
There's a difference between hype and overhype; when a card is hyped up, it means it's bound to be great or already is great, while an overhyped card is a card that has been hyped while being undeserving of the hype. Every bit of praise surrounding Luxray is totally plausible; while the card by itself isn't broken, there's no doubt that in conjunction with the Cyrus engine and especially Poke Turn, it's the most broken card in the format.

SeaLegend said:
There's a difference between hype and overhype; when a card is hyped up, it means it's bound to be great or already is great, while an overhyped card is a card that has been hyped while being undeserving of the hype. Every bit of praise surrounding Luxray is totally plausible; while the card by itself isn't broken, there's no doubt that in conjunction with the Cyrus engine and especially Poke Turn, it's the most broken card in the format.

I agree for example Vileplume (UD), Scizor Prime (UD), and Gengar Prime (LL) are all over-hyped cards for various reason's while Luxray (even though you may be tired of hearing about it) is hyped because it is one of the best cards in format when used in conjunction with the SP engine.

Can't really sure about the UD cards and everything later yet since you don't know how they'll preform just yet. After the events are rolling in, then we can see if they're overhyped or not.
A prime example of an overhyped card is Ursaring. Guy got a lot of hype but never did anything. Luxray however WINS WORLDS. Twice in a row. At least 2 divisions each time too. How is that OVERhyped?
As for my beating a n00b comment, I'd like to challenge you to take that Smeargle/Toxicroak thing and play against a PROPER Luxchomp player. You know, one who will disrupt your setup, snipe off any potentional threats before they hit the pitch, KO Toxicroak before it gets its second energy, etc etc.

Not playing a card just because its meta is stupid. Playing rogue is admirable if done for the proper reasons. However, playing rogue does not mean "Stay away from meta cards", but "Using previously unheard of combos to beat the meta". This can be done using a mixture of Meta and Non-Meta cards.

This is sad, we're spending our lives talking about weather a piece of shiny rare cardboard is overhyped!

Luxray is really that good. People can hate all they want, its usefulness won't go away.

Ok, to all the people who feel that they are tired of hearing about the card, that play rogue and feel that people who play Luxray GL Lv.X aren't creative, make a true rogue deck. How come I didn't see Lapras GE being played at a major tournament instead of Cyrus? How come I don't see Poke Balls instead of Bebe Search? I don't want to hear any blabber about how supporters are staples, the people who use Luxray GL Lv.X also use those supporters so don't use them. Go true rogue. stand behind your definition of being different than cut and paste and win a major tournament using cards nobody uses. By that I mean your whole deck should consist of cards people aren't creative enough to use. If you do that, you will have won the meta vs unique argument. However, until then....continue to stare at the fact that Luxray GL Lv.X is awsome and you can't get one:).

PikachewTofu said:
This is sad, we're spending our lives talking about weather a piece of shiny rare cardboard is overhyped!

You're just saying that because you are losing :p. Also, it is 3 pieces of cardstock not cardboard.

Anyway, Luxray is dominate and not overhyped. 'Nuff said.... I mean just look at the poll, it's 38 to 5 to 4.

they're no more better then the overhyped kings and queens like avatar or lady gaga, it's the same thing, when it's talked about alot at the beginning, yes it's hype, but if it continues long after it's release like a broken record, thats called overhyped. luxray is in pretty much in every single non/sp deck in the current format, a year after it's release, and talked about continuously to this moment, it's controversy is through the roof like all those overhyped media balloon's. cya

P.S. I do not dis luxray gl lv.X as it is a good card.

i agree, it aint that great... i mean it is a good card, but i think garchomp c lvx is way better

Luxray GL Lv.X's track record in competitive play speaks for itself. Even without hype. I only hear about how overrated the card is from people who usually don't own it.

I have four I use in my area's playtesting gauntlet. When we build rogue, we test against the top two tiers of decks seeing wide play. (Luxchomp with tech ERL, Dialgachomp with Drifblim FB, Jumpluff, Sabelock, FlyPhan, Gyarados MD-on, and a SpeedChamp.)

It's a very solid card all the way around. I played pokemon when gust of wind still saw wide play in the original versions of haymaker.

varit said:
they're no more better then the overhyped kings and queens like avatar or lady gaga, it's the same thing, when it's talked about alot at the beginning, yes it's hype, but if it continues long after it's release like a broken record, thats called overhyped. luxray is in pretty much in every single non/sp deck in the current format, a year after it's release, and talked about continuously to this moment, it's controversy is through the roof like all those overhyped media balloon's. cya

P.S. I do not dis luxray gl lv.X as it is a good card.

I think your definition for overhyped differs from that used commonly in Pokemon. In Pokemon, an overhyped card is a card that recieved a lot of pre-release hype, yet never quite managed to cut it in competitive play. For relatively recent examples, I'd like to refer to Ursaring Prime, Crobat Prime, Feraligatr Prime, the works.
Luxray is not overhyped, however it is hyped extremely - but with good reason.

Fun fact, pre-RR it didn't really get THAT much attention.

Sheesh. You guys don't know what overhyped means. Just because its good doesn't make it overhyped. Once you use it, its amazing. I find it impossible to build a deck without at least considering it. Plus it gets all the SP stuff... *faints*

Lou Cypher said:
Fun fact, pre-RR it didn't really get THAT much attention.

Haha. I remember that. I think I was like one of the few people that actually paid attention to it. So in reality, it was actually underrated when it first came out.

Back