Florida 1st place states report (seniors)

MaD_DoG

Defying physics since 2012
First cities
Hi all! This is my first tournament of the season and I grabbed 50 Championship points by getting 1st place.

The deck I chose was Landorus EX, Drifblim, Garbodor.

Round 1
My first match was against a Pyroar deck and it was this guy's first tournament and he eventually got 4th place so props to him. I start Landorus EX against his Mewtwo EX and he goes first. He attaches and passes. I get a somewhat explosive start with turn one muscle band and Strong Energy. He gets turn 2 Pyroar followed by a turn 3 Garbodor for me and then he eventually benches out because of a dead draw.
1-0-0

Round 2
This match was against a Xerneas EX deck. She starts double Xerneas to my Terrakion and Drifloon and she opts to first. On my first turn I Korrina for a switch and a Landorus EX and I begin using Hammerhead. on her next turn she attaches a Double Colorless to her active and uses Break Through and hits my Trubbish for 30. Next turn I get Garbodor out and I Hammerhead again. She attaches another Energy and uses X Blast to knock me out. I promote another Landorus EX, play Enhanced Hammer and a Hypnotoxic Laser and then Hammerhead. By this time her Xerneas EX is at 150 and her Benched is at 90 damage. She doesn't have a way to respond so she passes. I get a 4 prize turn by using Lysandre to bring out her other Xerneas EX and go for a double KO on both her Xerneas EX's.
2-0-0

Round 3
On this match, my opponent is playing an Empoleon deck and he never gets an empoleon out the entire game so I quickly sweep before he can get anything set up. I get a double KO for the win by playing Target Whistle to bring out his Exeggcute and Hammerheading his Miltank and his Egg.
3-0-0

Round 4
This round was going to be a tough one. He was playing a Plasma Lugia Deck and Lugia resists Landorus. I get Garbodor Turn 2 and I slow him down with Enhanced Hammer. By the time he can set up a second Lugia because I KO'd his first one with a Landorus EX I am able to sweep with Drifblim.
4-0-0

Round 5
This was a tough one too because i was paired against an Yveltal Garbodor deck. Unfortunately he dead Draws and I am able to Kill his only Yveltal EX.
5-0-0

Round 6 (Top 4)
This was the same person as round 1 with his Pyroar deck. I prize my Garbodor this game and he starts an early lead. He runs into another dead draw again after I draw Garbodor from my prizes. I then Hammerhead his Pyroar and do 30 to his benched Litleo. He then KO's my Landorus EX with Pyroar and I return the favor by Ko'ing his Pyroar. By this time he evolved his Litleo into another Pyroar. He eventually runs into an energy drought on top of a dead draw and he benches out. This also happens the second game.
2-0 (6-0-0)

Round 7 (Top 2)
This was also someone I faced in the swiss rounds. It was my opponent from round 4. The same thing happens here as it did in round 4 in both games, we both get a couple of prizes, I get Garbodor out and then I sweep with Drifblim.
2-0 (7-0-0)

Overall I had a great time at this tournament and I can't wait for the next ones. I hope to go to another Cities, and then to Regionals and States this year as I am going for an invite because it's only 250 Cp's (I am a senior).

Props
Winning
Meeting up with old friends.
Pulling M Gengar EX in my prize packs.
Trying strawberry Fanta at Burger King.

Slops
Pulling Florges EX and FA Xerosic in my prize packs.
Second cities
2nd cities of the season and it didn't go as good as the first. For some reason i opted to play a rogue Xerneas/Xerneas EX/Florges EX deck.

Round 1
Of course i have to go against my worst matchup round 1. He was playing a Bronzong deck and all of my fairies are weak to metal. I won't go into detail because there was nothing interesting.

0-1

Round 2
She flips over seedot and I am confused at what she is playing. It turns out to be a rogue Donphan/Shiftry deck. She uses Excadrill EX to attack me until i can KO her with my Xerneas EX and then it just goes downhill from there. She does get a Donphan out but I Lysandre and then X blast it.

1-1

Round 3
This was the same guy I beat twice at my first cities. He's still playing plasma, but he's playing the kyurem version this time. He draws dead so I quickly take the lead and eventually win.

2-1

Round 4
This was the first game that actually wasn't boring. I need to win this game to get into cut and he's playing Plasma Lugia/techs. he starts Deoxys to my Xerneas and I quickly start using Geomancy. He gets a Lugia out and I plan to OHKO it With X Blast + muscle Band + Laser, but then he slaps down a Virizion EX so that option flies out the door so I skyla for a Lysandre and X Blast His Lugia for 160 hoping to win on the next turn (His Benched Deoxys had 90 damage on it. Lysandre + Break through + muscle Band + bench damage). He then Junipers and gets the energy he needed to win the game and i lose :( .

So I end up whiffing cut and bubbling at 5th.

Props:
Good Trading
Sonic for lunch
Hanging out with friends

Slops:
Bubbling
sitting all day irritated my back
Losing the last round
Too many people in one room
My brother getting last after I told him his deck was junk
Being tired
Tourney being held at a bowling alley so it was loud
3rd cities
Last cities and it was mediocre. All the matches were boring so I won't go into detail. I am playing landorus ex/drifblim/garbodor again.

Round 1
I beat my friend who was playing a plasma list I built him. Drifblim>plasma.
1-0

Round 2
She is playing fairies with florges ex, but unfortunately she never got set up and landorus ex did all the work.

Round 3
I am scared out of my pants because he is playing quad toad. He ends up dead drawing and I use lysandre to stall and once he misses a quaking punch I enhanced hammer is double colorless energies. Then landorus does the rest.

Round 4
I ID'd this round because I could get in top 8 with 3-0-2.
3-0-1

Round 5
I offer to ID with him because we would both make cut, but he wants to play it out. Landorus again does all the work, but it was enhanced hammer that slowed him down the most.
4-0-1

Top 8
First loss of the day and it had to be in cut. I draw poorly both rounds against his yveltal/garbodor deck.

Props:
Subway for lunch
My friend participating in his first tournament
Top 8
Sale on Foxtrot comics at the library where the tournament was

Slops:
Top 8
My friend doing poorly at his first tournament
My brother doing poorly at his tournament

2015 Florida States Report

This is my first big tournament win sorry for not getting back quickly I have been so busy. I am playing Yveltal EX/ Leafeon.

Round 1 vs Rafy Ortiz w/ Primal Groudon/Masquerain
Luck wasn't on his side as he dead drew both rounds and I win fairly quick.
1-0

Round 2 vs Justin Kulas w/ Donphan
Game 1 I couldn't get set up for the life of me, but game 2 he can't get set up. He draws into nothing but Hawluchas and I take it pretty quick. However game 3 was a thriller. We both get lightning quick starts. He gets out multiple Donphans and Hawluchas and I stream Yveltals. It was game 3 so there was practically no time left so we have to tie.
1-0-1

Round 3 vs James Ferry w/ Yveltal/Seismitoad
Our decks are similar except that he doesn't run Leafeon. This was the best opponent of the day. He was nice and even made his own nicknames for certain cards. Both games are close, but I eventually take it.
2-0-1

Round 4 vs Logan ... (can't remember his last name) w/ Night March
This was his first season playing competitively and he picked up the game fairly quick. I get Seismitoad EX out early and lock him of his battle compressors and then I trump card him. This happened both games.
3-0-1

Round 5 vs Michael Russo w/ Seismitoad EX/Crobat
Game 1 He can't set up. Game 2 I can't set up. Game 3 time.
3-0-2

Round 6 vs Antonio ... (can't remember his last name) w/ Yveltal EX/Seismitoad EX/Garbodor
Both games are close. Game 1 my Yveltals overwhelm his. Game 2 it comes to the wire, but I Lysandre his Jirachi EX for the win.
4-0-2

Top 8 vs Justin Lambert w/ Quad Toad/Garbodor
Game 1 he has an energy drought. Game 2 I get Leafeon set up and go to town.

Top 4 vs Sean ... (can't remember his last name again) w/ Seismitoad EX/Garbodor/Ninetails PRC
We both get set up, but I can get Leafeon out both games before he locks me down and I run through him.

Finals vs Tony Santos w/ Flareon/Empoleon/Audino/Leafeon/Ditto
I'm not spoiling it. copy and paste the link and watch the stream. my game is the second one so you can skip to around the 55 minute mark.

http://www.twitch.tv/pokeisland/b/649124569

Props:
Winning
Good pulls
going to Georgia Regionals now that I have a chance at an invite
a junior wanting me to sign his mat
signing my own mat
making boatloads of money selling unwanted cards
Hanging out with friends
Being on a stream
Nice opponents (all were cool)
using unpopular deck
Publix Subs for lunch

Slops:
Not being able to do the league challenge because they started during Top Cut
New slippery sleeves

Feel free to comment with questions or if you were at Florida States over the weekend!

RE: Mad Dog's Mad Tournament Reports

Nice report! Glad to see Speed Lugia still getting played, kind of dissapointed that it got sweeped so easily lol. So happy to see it got in top 2 though! I can still have faith in my deck for cities :D I'm a senior too, so we probably have the same kind of metagame.
Cool how you used Landorus, poeple are saying it's not doing too good anymore but it's awesome you proved them wrong.

On-topic, holy cow. The flawless record though. Congratz! Good luck on the invite, I'm personally not going for one this year, it's my first year playing competitively so I'm just gonna take it easy and get accustomed to the scene.

Mega Gengar EX is crazy wanted right now. It's going for 17 bucks atm!
Fanta is love fanta is life.
Florges is horrible, Xerosic full art is bad, but at least it looks cool :D

How is the Yveltal matchup? Adding this to the things I need to test...

I'd say it's about 50-50. Every time I battle my brother who is playing Yveltal EX/Manectric EX it always comes down to like 1 prize on 1 prize. The key is that you have to know where to put the hammerhead bench damage.

Back