First Teaser Info for S6 'Silver Lance' and 'Jet-Black Spirit!'

The Fish

0.o
Old Cemetery + Galarian Cursola V + Arctozolt DAA maybe?

Also the art on Cresselia is stunning, for sure gonna be a prerelease promo!

Dark Espeon

Dark Avatar
Not entire sure but unless I missed something in the video Hell Gate can be used once per turn on each Shadow Rider Calyrex Vmax. If this is the case the deck is real fast and consistent once two Shadow Raider Calyrex Vmax are on the board.

The Fish

0.o
Shadow Rider is its own engine and its own attacker. You can play a 4-4 line of the V/Vmax, however many Cresselias, 2 Support Vs (Crobat/Edlegoss etc) and that's it. You have so much creative freedom with this deck as well as so much consistency, that this seems unnecessarily self-sufficient. It's like Eternatus with less pokemon.

Ice Rider doesn't even need Frosmoth, just Melony and Eldegoss to loop it. Swing 250 each turn.

Rocket The Shellos

Aspiring Trainer
shadow rider calyrex will be very competitive, theres enough anti-eternatus tech out there that the card will be able to deal with that matchup

Animegamer420

Aspiring Trainer
i think the attack translations are wrong for ice rider vmax. first one is emperor ride, the second is dy-lance i think, like dymax (dynamax internationally)

N's Rhyperior

Aspiring Trainer
Eternatus is dead. They're releasing Zapdos V and that supporter that destroys bench.
It depends on how the meta treats it. If you watch the current Japanese tournament, none of the decks played G. Zap and/or Avery. And if they play those cards, they'll be basically 1-of cards, and that's it. They have to find for it and use it at the right time.

It would be dumb to use Avery against a Victini VMAX deck because they'll gonna dump support Pokemon to deny prize baiting. Or a G. Zap against a Dark Toolbox (Yes, someone is playing Dark toolbox with all the Wevile-GX, Red & Blue combo with Grenoark, all of that good stuff).

Last edited:

Diego Lima

Aspiring Trainer
And just some days ago people were all like "tHAt'S iT! tHis sET iS ABsoLutE gARbAGe", making zero sense twice. Once, for not waiting on cards from these japanese sets to drop when we knew our next set would have not only the cards from Matchless Fighter, but the cards from these two as well. And twice, because even if all our set had was cards from Matchless fighter it would still have some pretty big stuff in there, namely Blaziken Vmax which is a very good looking card that almost no one seems to have batted an eye over. Now that that's out of my system, let's talk about these cards.

What the fudge.

Seriously though, holy s...

Ok, so, Ice Rider Calyrex VMAX. Looks pretty good, very straight forward. There's enough water support to make it work I would assume, between Frosmoth, Capacious bucket and Melony. It can work like Victini does, trying to always go first so it can Boss and murder whatever they were setting up turn two. With guaranteed 250 damage it should be more than enough to accomplish that pretty consistently. Plus, since we've mentioned it, Victini is pretty good, early data confirms that, in case anyone was still sleeping on the card (and only tends to get better once rotation happens and there's no more GXs that it can't hit for 220), so that's good for this card.

Shadow Rider Calyrex VMAX. Card seems absolutely stupid to me. Are you kidding me? A Trade that instead of having to discard to use, the cost is accelerating energy? lol what? Btw, if someone can confirm this, I'm wondering, is the drawing conditional on you having an energy to attach? Reading the card explains the card, but since there's no official translation yet I'm curious. Perhaps the translation ends up being similar to Welder in the sense that it's like "attach energy, IF YOU DO, draw 2 cards"? Either way it looks pretty bonkers.

Cresselia. Could we not? Seriously, wtf. That's just lazy. lEt'S mAKe aNotHeR VoLCAniOn, BUt pURplE. With this, Calirex having draw power on its own, and the Fog Crystal item, the deck pretty much builds itself it seems. Preeeetty stupid looking.

Melony. Nice, seems a lot more balanced than Welder. To be fair though, people talk a lot of smack about Welder, but it was an absolute necessity, the way Fire pokémon have been, they wouldn't have seen any play if Welder wasn't a thing. Context matters, guys. For instance, you can already tell from Victini, that new fire pokémon will be much lower maintence, because they know they will exist for a good chunk of their lifespan in standard, in a world without Welder. I wonder if it will be enough to really take water decks to that next level. Will the draw three be enough draw power? It seems we won't be having the luxury of just relying on Crobats and Dedennes for much longer...more on that later.

Fog Crystal. Busted? Granted it doesn't search evolutions, but I think both not having to discard, and being able to search for energy, vastly outweighs that, so I think this is actually much stronger than Mysterius Trasure was. Being able to grab the energies for the Calirex makes this an instant no brainer 4x in the deck. This is the glue that will hold that deck together and ensure its setups are always silk smooth.

Path to the Peak. Wow. Amazing. I love this, I honestly do. This is the type of card that forces the entire game to shift in the way decks are built. Just like decks were built in a way pre-trashalanche garbodor, and in a different way post-trashalanche garbodor. That's amazing. Choices should matter, some cards and some effects shouldn't be "free". You want to run Crobats and Dedennes? Ok, but now there's a cost to that choice, there's a risk involved (I mean, aside from the already obvious one of being a Boss target later in the game). Maybe you should consider using Amazing Rare Jirachis instead? Does your deck really need that kind of draw power to be worth risking running those cards? All that is amazing for the game imo, any card that makes other people actually have to think about how they build decks is a plus in my book.

Old Cemetery. Chaotic Swell will only be legal for 3 months after Chilling Reign drops if I'm not mistaken, right? It drops in June and rotation is around August or something like that, isn't it? Anyway, at first, I think Swell is the no brainer option for the Shadow Calirex deck to avoid being slowed down by Path to the Peak, but after Swell rotates and everyone and their dog starts using Peak, having a stadium of your own will probably be the way to go to deal with that, and this is probably nice for the deck, since it deals damage in small increments of 30, having damage randomly being put in your opponents creatures here and there should come in handy with your damage math more often than not.

Anyway, Chilling Reign already promises to be a bonkers set that will most definitely continue the trend Battle Styles started of turning the meta completely on its head. And that's amazing. I hope the meta continues to be as diverse and fun as it is right now. You see, we have to give credit when credit is due, the community was absolutely whiny with the game pre-Battle Styles (for good reason), but almost everyone, (at least everyone I ever saw) just talked about how it was only gonna get worse, because "how couldn't it? with all the stupid powercrept Vmaxes!", and here we are, in one of the most fun and diverse metas we've seen in quite a while post-battle styles. I hope Chilling Reign does the same thing again.

PS: just like Dyna Tree Hill, these 2 stadiums have gorgeous, actual ARTWORK, instead of the hideous cheap cgi look of stadiums we've had for the last god knows how many years. PLEASE keep this up.

Last edited:

Rocket The Shellos

Aspiring Trainer
i think the attack translations are wrong for ice rider vmax. first one is emperor ride, the second is dy-lance i think, like dymax (dynamax internationally)
the dai/max thing is purely localisation, all the v-maxes have at least one attack with dai/max in the name. you're right about emperor's ride though, but that could get tweaked in localisation. some moves just do for no apparent reasin

bunnybird12

Aspiring Trainer
These are all really good. I’m excited for Ice Rider Calyrex!

Dragapult is going to like all this psychic support.

Michael Stadler

Aspiring Trainer
Shadow Rex is gonna be crazy.

Shadow Vmax is basically your damage + your draw + your acceleration. You just have to stack those, it's even more straightforward than Zoroark was.

On the other hand I think people are underestimating the shadow V. Of course 10 for 1 energy looks really weak, but you're preventing stadiums and special energy, and special energies are played a lot. This will sometimes slow down your opponent a bit, and prevents him from playing path to the peak to stop your Vmax abilities.

Then add Fog crystal that is just stupidly good and basically made for shadow Rex and you get a really nice deck.

Diego Lima

Aspiring Trainer
Could dragapult come back with the new techs as well?

Dragapult has already come back with the release of BTS. Winning tournaments and all. Not because of techs, but just based on the influx of all the fighting types in the meta. So between the new Fog crystal, Old Cemetery (which plays right into its strategy) and Cresselia helping the deck being able to go second and not lose to 2 heads flipped on consecutive hammers...yeah, I think Dragapult isn't going anywhere any time soon. The techs will just add insult to injury.

Rocket The Shellos

Aspiring Trainer
Could dragapult come back with the new techs as well?
there was a dragapult/rs urshifu list going around that had some success recently, so id say it's already back and has a decent matchup on eternatus. as for straight dragapult i could definitely see avery, maybe g-zapdos seeing play in those decks just to make that matchup easier

Diego Lima

Aspiring Trainer
Shadow Rex is gonna be crazy.

Shadow Vmax is basically your damage + your draw + your acceleration. You just have to stack those, it's even more straightforward than Zoroark was.

On the other hand I think people are underestimating the shadow V. Of course 10 for 1 energy looks really weak, but you're preventing stadiums and special energy, and special energies are played a lot. This will sometimes slow down your opponent a bit, and prevents him from playing path to the peak to stop your Vmax abilities.

Agreed. Haven't given much thought to the V, but you're right, in the event of you losing the coin flip and being forced to go second that is a good option to have.

Dark Espeon

Dark Avatar
Hi Diego Lima,

Shadow Rider Calyrex VMAX. Card seems absolutely stupid to me. Are you kidding me? A Trade that instead of having to discard to use, the cost is accelerating energy? lol what? Btw, if someone can confirm this, I'm wondering, is the drawing conditional on you having an energy to attach? Reading the card explains the card, but since there's no official translation yet I'm curious. Perhaps the translation ends up being similar to Welder in the sense that it's like "attach energy, IF YOU DO, draw 2 cards"? Either way it looks pretty bonkers.

Hell Gate states:
Once during your turn you may attach a [P] energy card from your hand to 1 of your benched [P] Pokémon. If you do draw 2 cards.

In Japan the clause then is assumed to imply that you need to meet the first clause for the second one to work. Nonetheless Hell Gate is a busted version of trade. Now factor in Cresselia and Fog Crystal and the deck in essence builds itself. Seems like the Pokémon Company went with an energy bust theme for Shadow Rider.

Melony. Nice, seems a lot more balanced than Welder. To be fair though, people talk a lot of smack about Welder, but it was an absolute necessity, the way Fire pokémon have been, they wouldn't have seen any play if Welder wasn't a thing. Context matters, guys. For instance, you can already tell from Victini, that new fire pokémon will be much lower maintence, because they know they will exist for a good chunk of their lifespan in standard, in a world without Welder. I wonder if it will be enough to really take water decks to that next level. Will the draw three be enough draw power? It seems we won't be having the luxury of just relying on Crobats and Dedennes for much longer...more on that later.

Melody is a slightly more toned down Welder since it attaches one less energy and only works on Pokémon V which also includes Pokémon VMAX. The benefit is that it attaches from the discard pile which works real well with Ice Rider.

Path to the Peak. Wow. Amazing. I love this, I honestly do. This is the type of card that forces the entire game to shift in the way decks are built. Just like decks were built in a way pre-trashalanche garbodor, and in a different way post-trashalanche garbodor. That's amazing. Choices should matter, some cards and some effects shouldn't be "free". You want to run Crobats and Dedennes? Ok, but now there's a cost to that choice, there's a risk involved (I mean, aside from the already obvious one of being a Boss target later in the game). Maybe you should consider using Amazing Rare Jirachis instead? Does your deck really need that kind of draw power to be worth risking running those cards? All that is amazing for the game imo, any card that makes other people actually have to think about how they build decks is a plus in my book.

While the card sure is great I would not over-sell it. At the end it is a stadium card that can be replaced with another stadium card even after rotation. The card would be almost broken if we receive a Pokémon that locks in stadium cards such as the old Ninetales. Also remember that it is a passive stadium that works for you on the opponent's turn and therefore is under their control. If they cannot remove it it sure slows them down but ifit can be removed you will receive no benefit from it.

Old Cemetery. Chaotic Swell will only be legal for 3 months after Chilling Reign drops if I'm not mistaken, right? It drops in June and rotation is around August or something like that, isn't it? Anyway, at first, I think Swell is the no brainer option for the Shadow Calirex deck to avoid being slowed down by Path to the Peak, but after Swell rotates and everyone and their dog starts using Peak, having a stadium of your own will probably be the way to go to deal with that, and this is probably nice for the deck, since it deals damage in small increments of 30, having damage randomly being put in your opponents creatures here and there should come in handy with your damage math more often than not.

As mentioned above the card itself is decent but it is a passive stadium that only benefits you on your opponent's turn provided that the opponent does not replace it. Given how reliant Shadow Rider is an massive amounts of energy on the battlefield you could also use Traiing Court instead to remover discarded [P] energy and re-attach them with Hell Gate.