• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Standard First Gardevoir GX Build (Post-Rotation)

HouchinsDJ

Aspiring Trainer
So after going to a couple pre-releases, I was able to get the cards needed to build a Gardevoir GX deck. I went back and forth on a lot of these cards in terms of what and how many to run and finally settled on the list below. I'm pretty sure this list will change 100 more times, but I wanted to get your opinions and suggestions.

Pokemon - 19
4x Ralts
3x Kirlia
3x Gardevoir GX
1x Gallade
2x Remoraid
2x Octillery
2x Diance
2x Tapu Lele

Trainers - 29
4x Professor Sycamore
3x N
3x Guzma
2x Brigette
2x Acerola

4x Ultra Ball
3x Rare Candy
2x Field Blower
1x Rescue Stretcher
3x Choice Band
2x Float Stone

Energy - 12
8x Fairy Energy
4x Double Colorless Energy

I settled on the 4-3-3(1) Gardevoir GX/Gallade line for consistency. I've seen some builds run a 4-2-3(1) line with 4 Rare Candy and I think that's certainly viable, but I still prefer playing three Kirlia. Diance helps with the speed of this deck and I need Kirlia for Sparking Prayer to be efficient, hence why I'm running three. Speaking of Diance, I thought about running Alolan Vulpix instead, but decided to go with Diance for now. Both have their pros and cons. With most decks running 4 N once rotation happens, I think it's better to get the guaranteed evolution instead of grabbing two Pokemon from your deck and hoping you don't get N'd next turn. From the practice matches I played this morning, Diance played a big part. I thought about running a third Tapu Lele, but I'm still undecided on that.

The Supporters are pretty straightforward. 4 Sycamore, 3-4 N, and 3 Gumza seem to be the standard going forward. I'm only playing 3 N because I'm running Octillery for draw support. I'm running two Brigette instead of one because I'm usually going to want to Brigette my first turn and don't want to have my only one prized. The two Acerola are interesting. I can make some solid combos with it by returning a damaged Gardevoir to my hand, evolving a Kirlia or Rare Candying a Ralts on the field to put it back down and then use Gardevoir's ability to stack it with energy to avoid getting knocked out next turn while having a new one ready to go. Definitely have to have the right cards at the right time, but I pulled it off this morning and it was clutch. There were some other Supporters I wanted to run like Mallow and Fisherman, but those are more "one-of" Supporters and they're just not as effective now with VS Seeker gone.

As far as Items, I'm running 3 Rare Candy since I'm running 3 Kirlia. I still thought about adding a fourth one in though. I really want to try and fit in 3 Fairy Garden for the free retreat, but I'm not really sure what to take out. Maybe the Float Stones and one of the Choice Bands? Not too sure.

I'm working on a Gardevoir GX Decklist as well that looks pretty similar to this.

I think taking out the 2x Float Stone and 1x Choice Band is the way to go if you want 3 Fairy Garden. I'm personally only playing 2 Fairy Garden for now, in which case just take out the 2 float stones, since I feel like it's not something I want to see until I at least have an okay set up.

Main thing I'd say is that you would rather Choice Band a Gardy GX instead of Float Stone it to have it retreat for free. You can have both the 30 damage and the free retreat if you combine Fairy Garden with Choice Band.

Do you find Super Rod not necessary through testing? I have yet to have an opportunity to thoroughly test, but I feel like it's a valuable one of because I hate the feeling of not having more than 1 energy to attach per turn. It makes Gardy GX's ability a bit pointless when you only have 1 energy in hand for turn.

There are a number of youtubers who have done extensive testing on this. I'd recommend checking them out. I saw one video recently where Gardy beat Golisopod 2-1 in a best of 3. I've also seen one though where Gardy lost both matches to Greninja.

I haven't done any testing but from the videos I've seen they have not gone the Diancie route.

I also think Ribombee was specifically designed for Gardy but nobody's using it. Very strange to me I have it as one of my top 10 cards coming out of BUS.

I'm working on a Gardevoir GX Decklist as well that looks pretty similar to this.

I think taking out the 2x Float Stone and 1x Choice Band is the way to go if you want 3 Fairy Garden. I'm personally only playing 2 Fairy Garden for now, in which case just take out the 2 float stones, since I feel like it's not something I want to see until I at least have an okay set up.

Main thing I'd say is that you would rather Choice Band a Gardy GX instead of Float Stone it to have it retreat for free. You can have both the 30 damage and the free retreat if you combine Fairy Garden with Choice Band.

Do you find Super Rod not necessary through testing? I have yet to have an opportunity to thoroughly test, but I feel like it's a valuable one of because I hate the feeling of not having more than 1 energy to attach per turn. It makes Gardy GX's ability a bit pointless when you only have 1 energy in hand for turn.

The Float Stones are for Octillery, Diance, and sometimes Tapu Lele. Rarely would I attach them to Gardevoir. I do feel like Fairy Garden is the better choice between the two though because of it's flexibility. I'll have to try it out.

I didn't add Super Rod simply because Gardevoir's GX attack can get back all of the energies and Pokémon I need. I suppose you could try replacing Rescue Stretcher for it though. I like the options that Rescue Stretcher provides personally.

There are a number of youtubers who have done extensive testing on this. I'd recommend checking them out. I saw one video recently where Gardy beat Golisopod 2-1 in a best of 3. I've also seen one though where Gardy lost both matches to Greninja.

I haven't done any testing but from the videos I've seen they have not gone the Diancie route.

I also think Ribombee was specifically designed for Gardy but nobody's using it. Very strange to me I have it as one of my top 10 cards coming out of BUS.

I've watched some of the videos and a few have been helpful.

I understand why Alolan Vulpix would be used over Diance. I also see why Diance would be used over Vulpix. They both have their pros and cons. I'm sure I'll try Vulpix just to see how it runs.

Ribombee works great with Gardevoir. I think the issue is just trying to fit it in the deck. What would you remove to make space for it?

The Leles... But I'm the crazy old guy who doesn't like Pokemon that sit on the bench doing nothing.

Maybe Choice Band? Adding two fairy energy to a Gardy is plus 60... Against everything. Choice Band is only +30 against EX and GX Pokemon.

And yes so much of this is Theorymon. It's going to take some time to see how this shakes out in reality. But I think Gardy is going to be very good. I have it as my number 2 card in the set.

The Leles... But I'm the crazy old guy who doesn't like Pokemon that sit on the bench doing nothing.

Maybe Choice Band? Adding two fairy energy to a Gardy is plus 60... Against everything. Choice Band is only +30 against EX and GX Pokemon.

And yes so much of this is Theorymon. It's going to take some time to see how this shakes out in reality. But I think Gardy is going to be very good. I have it as my number 2 card in the set.
I wouldn't even consider taking the Leles out because the supporter search is too good to ignore. They also have a decent attack, which is essentially Infinite Force lite.

Yeah, there's no way I'm taking out the Leles lol. I don't think Lele sits on the bench and does nothing, especially in this deck. If I need to attack with it, it's got a pretty decent attack that takes a DCE, which I'm running. And if I really want to, I can power it up with Gardevoir's ability. Obviously not my first choice as an attacker, but Lele's ability alone makes it a staple in every deck.

I thought about removing the Choice Bands. The Gardevoir deck that won Japan's Nationals only ran one Choice Band. I felt that running just one was kinda pointless so I figured I'd rather go all in with 3 or just not use them at all.

I see Ribombee's use. My only concern with it is if the deck isn't having any problem drawing into energy to begin with, do you really need it? I mean, the guaranteed energy every turn is awesome, but deck space is limited and I don't want to run too many Pokemon seeing as how the deck as it currently stands has 19.

I settled on the 4-3-3(1) Gardevoir GX/Gallade line for consistency. I've seen some builds run a 4-2-3(1) line with 4 Rare Candy and I think that's certainly viable, but I still prefer playing three Kirlia. Diance helps with the speed of this deck and I need Kirlia for Sparking Prayer to be efficient, hence why I'm running three. Speaking of Diance, I thought about running Alolan Vulpix instead, but decided to go with Diance for now. Both have their pros and cons. With most decks running 4 N once rotation happens, I think it's better to get the guaranteed evolution instead of grabbing two Pokemon from your deck and hoping you don't get N'd next turn. From the practice matches I played this morning, Diance played a big part. I thought about running a third Tapu Lele, but I'm still undecided on that.

-1 Acerola -1 Choice Band, +1 N + 1 Rare Candy

You want to maximize the chance at turn 1 diancie attack with 2 ralts on bench to achieve a turn 2 double Gardevoir GX evolution with rare candies. The 4 N are for maximum draw power consistency.

Maybe -1 Kirlia for +1 Tapu Lele for extra chance at turn 1 Brigette

Last edited:
Back