• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Standard First Deck (Bewear GX/Metagross GX)

Attix

Electric Delivery Driver from Washington
I'm fairly new to the TCG and have been working on a first deck within the standard format, going to some TCG events and getting advice along the way and making observations. It started life as a Steel Sun theme deck, but has obviously received more of a makeover than most Hollywood celebrities to make it more viable. I'm on somewhat of a budget and am a bit constrained in access to cards offline, so keep any suggestions simple and easy to get. Also elaborate on top threats and how best to go about them.

Beldum (GR) x2

Metang (GR) x2

Metagross GX (GR) x2

Stufful (GR) x2

Bewear GX (SM Promo) x2

Cosmog (GR) x1

Cosmoem (GR) x1

Solgaleo (GR) x1

Slowpoke (GR) x1

Slowbro (GR) x1

Misdreavus (CI) x1

Mismagius (CI) x1

Mawile (CI) x1

Total pokemon: x18

Ultra Ball (SM/SL) x3

Nest Ball (SM) x2

Timer Ball (SM) x2

Pokémon Catcher (SM/SL) x2

Switch (SM) x2

Energy Retrieval (SM) x1

Rescue Stretcher (GRI) x1

Total Ttems x13

Shauna (FC) x3

Professor Kukui (SM) x2

Hau (SM) x2

N (FC) x1

Hala (GR) x1

Professor Sycamore (BP) x1

Olivia (GR) x1

Total Trainers x11

Altar of the Sunne (GR) x2

Total Stadiums x2

Steel Energy x8

Psychic Energy x4

Sp. Double Colorless (SM) x4

Total Energy: x16

Bewear GX is meant to be this deck's primary heavy-hitter. Its GX attack allows it to assassinate powerful opposing GX's and EX's like Guzzlord, and its powerful overall attacks and good HP let it take on most other powerful Pokémon.

Metagross GX is able to fish discarded basic Psychic and Steel energies out of the discard pile using its ability, and has a decently powerful attack (but can only be used every other turn).

Solgaleo is intended as a hard-hitter whenever I need to limit my opponent's ability to get prize cards, its strong attack lets it take out weaker Pokémon in one shot, and it can also snipe unevolved Pokémon on the bench with Shining Arrow.

Slowbro's main use is Amnesia to disable overpowered attacks in order to buy time. Mismagius disrupts playing of certain cards and has a strong pinch attack if the opponent's hand has a bunch of cards in it. Mawile gets basics out quickly and discards energies.

The items are your basic mix of searchers, retrievals, and free switches. Pokémon catcher pulls strong guys off the bench to assassinate them.

The supporters are your basic mix of searchers and drawers. Of note is Olivia, which gets the GX's out faster.

Altar of the Sunne gets rid of opposing stadiums and erases Metagross's and Solgaleo's weaknesses. Because of the way the deck is set up, it provides the opponent no benefit.

Four Double Colorless energies swiftly charge up Bewear's attacks and also fully charge Mawile.

Some things:
  • I have three more Professor Sycamores if you want to suggest those.
  • I would like to get more N's; advise if this is necessary and how many to get.
  • I would like to cut down on energies if I can; any suggestions on how to do this comfortably are welcome.
  • Any other suggestions to make this thing better are welcome.

At this point, it's better to have a pure Metagross deck on its own because 150 damage for 3 energy (180 with a Choice Band vs. EXs and GXs) isn't bad at all. If you have multiple Metagross out (which can be helped with Alolan Vulpix's free Beacon getting the evolution pieces you need), you can just manually retreat a Metagross that just attacked into a new one and reattach the lost energies with Geotech System. If you really must use other Pokemon with Metagross, there's the aforementioned Alolan Vulpix, which has the aforementioned free attack, as well as Necrozma GX, which can be a semi-consistent attacker with multiple Metagross reattaching Psychic energy that were discarded for Prismatic Burst.

You also need Tapu Lele GX to search out supporters.

I wouldn't bother with Shauna and Hau; the former is straight-up outclassed by N in the early game, as well as the upcoming Cynthia. 3 cards from Hau just pales in comparison to the 7 from Sycamore. 4 Ultra Balls are enough for your Pokemon-searching needs. Field Blower is also mandatory in decks nowadays because of the utility of removing opposing stadiums and tools; this is especially critical against Garbotoxin Garbodor. Guzma is also a good supporter for stranding high retreat Pokemon in the active as well as KOing possible threats before they're fully built up. Energy Retrieval isn't necessary for Metagross decks, as Geotech System can just attach energies from the discard straight to the active. Your trainer lineup should look like this:
-4 Sycamore
-4 N
-3 Guzma
-2 Field Blower
-4 Ultra Ball
-1 Rescue Stretcher and/or Super Rod
-1 Brigette (if using Tapu Lele)
-1-2 Acerola (personal preference)
-1 Skyla (personal preference)
-4 Rare Candy (stage 2 decks only)

Way too much going on here. I would focus on either Solgaleo or Metagross, and if you really want to do Bewear, throw in some Guardians Rising ones for draw support

Back