Tournament First 2019-Season Tournament Discussion

The Evil Sneasel

Aspiring Trainer
Hello all TES here,
**Sorry for no articles for two weeks. Been busy with family related things.**

Posts, Blogs and articles in the pokemon tcg community are talking about NAIC and World. I didn't want to write about those topics since it would seem that my opinions are copied off someone else's. Today I'm talking about my first 2019 tournament which is the July league Challenge. I came 2nd with Sylveon mill (Pretty Mill) and right now tied 60th Globally.

Pretty Mill, The List
Pokemon - 10
4 Eevee SUM
3 Sylveon GX GRI
1 Ralts BUS
1 Gardevoir GX BUS
1 Gallade BKT

Items - 22
4 Crushing hammer
4 Nest ball
4 Puzzle Of Time
4 Max Potion
2 Enhanced Hammer
1 Counter Catcher
1 Professors Letter
1 Rare Candy
1 Rescue Stretcher

Supporters/Stadiums - 16
4 Team Flare Grunt
2 Lusamine
1 Diantha
1 Guzma
1 Gladion
1 Acerola
1 N
1 Team Rocket's Handiwork
2 Parallel City
2 Lysandre Labs

Energy - 12
10 Fairy
2 DCE

Round 1 LL 0/1/0 Zororoc with Oranguru
Game 1 - Dead draws and opponent KO's only pokemon on the field. (Ralts)
Game 2 - Gallade KO's Oranguru twice and a Zoroark. I discard 4 Special energies in one turn. 2 E hammer, 1 successful Crushing hammer and a Team flare Grunt. Opponent almost decks out but top deck is DCE to start using resource management. I deck out. :(

Round 2 WW 1/1/0 Zoro or Espeon Garb
Game 1 - I set up 3 sylveon and a gardevoir. I KO a few pokemon then play ALOT of items then be a troll and twilight GX. He scooped the round.

Round 3 WW 2/1/0 Yveltal/Hoopa
Game 1 - Opponent Sycamores a few times and I set up a Team rocket handiwork loop. Discard every energy on the field. He decks out.
Game 2 Scoops

Round 4 WLW 3/1/0 Zorogarb
Game 1 Opponent bricked I took KO after KO and opponent scooped
Game 2 I bricked and scooped
Game 3 Steadily played Items, Max potion, energy denial. On the turn I used twilight GX I played another 6 Items healing everything, discarding energies here and there and put all those Items back. Opponent continued to trade and sycamore and I started a Team rocket handiwork loop for game.

Round 5 WW 4/1/0 Ultra Necrozma
Knew what I was playing and scooped the round.

Overall Result 4/1/0, 2nd place. 12 points.

Why did I play Sylveon Mill??

I played Sylveon mill because of the rise of Ultra Necrozma, Garb and Zoroark. In Ultra necrozma I can discard steel energies, therefore the opponent has to dig for retrieval cards and I hit for weakness on two prize attackers. In zoroark matchups especially Zororoc and Zorogarb in which they don't play Resource Management. They continue to trade, trade, trade until they get they want. These archetypes only play upto 8 energies making it vulnerable to energy denial. Setting up a Team Rocket Mill loop is clutch into winning any of these matchups. Finally against Garb your opponent has to dig for particular cards and trashalanch really could be used for late game. Having twilight GX at your disposal can really turn this matchup around by completely wasting your opponents milling for setup to 2KO sylveon. After Twilight GX continue with energy denial and start a team rocket's handiwork mill loop for victory.

There's the tournament review. If there was anything I could add just tell myself.

**UPCOMING ARTICLES (All dates in AEST time)**

Celestial Storm Prerelease MUSTS - July 27th
2018 Season as a whole - July 30th
Bulu, Glaceon and Rayquaza for 2019 - Aug 3rd
Zororoc, Zorogarb and Zoropod for 2019 - Aug 6th
TBA - Aug 10th

Can you suggest some Ideas for the 10th of Aug and past that date.

Thanks TES

Last edited:
Back