• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Standard Fire deck for new rotation.

Megas

Aspiring Trainer
Hallo,

After months of playing Ptcgo I moved from basic theme deck to my own build.
I looked up a fire ho-oh deck online and copy pasted it and traded up to get all the cards,
Woaw, amazing !

Now we/me got new shinning legends cards and made some changes, but since I'm still pretty Shiftry behind the ears I wonder if I'm doing something wrong or have a bad view of what's going on, so here is my deck.

##Pokémon - 14

* 2 Entei-GX SLG 71
* 4 Ho-Oh-GX BUS 131
* 2 Shining Ho-Oh PR-SM SM70
* 1 Turtonator-GX GRI 131
* 3 Tapu Lele-GX GRI 137
* 2 Volcanion-EX STS 107

##Trainer cards - 30

* 4 Professor Sycamore BKP 107
* 3 Kiawe BUS 144
* 4 Guzma BUS 115

* 2 Po Town BUS 121

* 2 Switch SUM 132
* 1 Super Rod BKT 149
* 4 Max Elixir BKP 102
* 4 Ultra Ball SUM 135
* 2 N FCO 105
* 2 Choice Band GRI 121
* 2 Float Stone BKT 137

##Energie - 16

* 16 Fire Energy 2

Why I ask ? Because I played The basic green deck theme with shiftry and miss the strategy and long exiting adrenaline play with my new custom deck.

It's just; get Ho-oh out and pull Kiawe with Tapu-lele. If Ho-oh get's knocked out I'm in survival mode and hunger for more energy on other cards. If I fail or get blocked by Ninetales or other unknown tricks on other player part, I'm desperate for another Tapu-lele and 4 Guzma to switch up other player cards and peel them off.

Also, if I need to charge up another one with Kiawe I will probably lose another Gx and 2 price cards again.
So the game always ends fast, way faster than theme deck because after 2 knock out's it's game over in strategy, that was no problem in basic theme decks at all and was excited till the end with my XY green deck.

Do i have too much GX Pokemon's ? Do I need to stay with the copy/paste deck and remove shining ho-oh for Volcanion again, do I need to remove Entei and use 2 Salazzle again ?

Or is this just a boring weak standard deck and need to sell all cards and get a Metagross thing :)

Thanks.

First off I don't think Shining Ho-Oh is that good Entei however has been talked about a bit and from what I have heard you can run it but the deck is generally not as good as just the regular deck. Just so you know Volc is way better than Metagross so that's one thing! You definitely should some copies of sts volcs non EX maybe 1-2 but over all Volcanion is not exactly my most best deck and take my advice with a grain of salt but I think your list is generally good!

Maybe something like -1 guzma - 2 shining ho oh -2 entei + 2-2 salazzle + 1 STS volc

*Edit by salazzle I mean salazzle GX

Last edited:
Ah, fellow Splatoon player. Thanks for the advice.

The reason I swapped 2 volc for Shining ho-oh was that if I start with volc. I can't draw 2 fire cards if I got zero in the discard stack. So if I charge up Shinning ho-oh at the start with Kiawe and get's knocked out next round I can move 2 energy to bench. So I guess Volc is good at mid game for pulling out some energy, but I already got item/support cards for that. Well that's my noob view on it.

Yet with volc. or Ho-oh I still feel someting is missing or blocking me for a great strategy and flow. If I'm matched against bad decks or regular players it's easy win if I got a good start.
Against good player I got stuck and out of good flow, no more Boom, bam, boom, game over :)

Need more strategy in the deck and less rush, rush.

The point of starting baby Volcanion is to discard energy first turn by any means (Ultra Ball being the most obvious). Shining Ho-Oh is not good because you can't rely on the ability in a Garbotoxin meta and it takes 4 energy to do not a lot of damage. Entei is also one of the worst GX Pokemon and you'd be better running 3x Turtonator and 4x Volcanion EX alongside 3 baby Volc to hit better numbers with more useful Pokemon. The Ho-Oh GX count seems high to me but I don't play fire too much so I'll leave that for someone else to comment on.

You should have 4 N as it's often a better card than Sycamore due to the disruption of the opponent and not discarding things you need in the early game.

I'd experiment with using Fighting Fury Belt instead of Choice Band because the extra HP + 10 is more valuable than a situational +30 (which becomes useless against non EX/GX opponents).

Po Town as a stadium doesn't help you too much - Scorched Earth can help if you really struggle with the fire discard mechanic, Brooklet Hill can help you pull out the Volcanions and Starmie if you run that. Steam up can guarantee +3o damage whereas you're dependent on opponent a) evolving and b) not removing it to hit with Po Town. I wouldn't run a stadium in this deck if I was building it myself.

16 Fire might be a little high, optimal seems to be around 14. Overall this is a really good start, if you focus around the better GXes and tighten it up a little you've got one of the best decks going. :D

Back