FEAR it bro

grantm1999

VileGar
Hey I've got another FEAR Aron team! This one's for OU because I think it's better there. The whole team is supposed to support Aron's gimmick, but the other Pokemon can also hold their own. I think it's pretty good how it is, but just not good enough. Help is appreciated!

Tyranitar
Item: Focus Sash/Chople Berry/Air Balloon
Nature: Adamant
EVs: 252 HP, 252 Atk, 4 SpD
Ability: Sand Stream
~Stealth Rock/Fire Blast
~Taunt
~Pursuit
~Earthquake

This is my lead Pokemon 99% of the time. Right now I'm using Focus Sash and Stealth Rock in the optional spots, but I want Fire Blast to beat leading Ferrothorns and Forretresses. Taunt and Pursuit are really good, and nobody's expecting them on a lead T-tar! Earthquake is just a decent attacking move in general but mostly filler. I think Dark Gem or Quick Claw could be used as well. Pursuit is mainly useful for hitting Ghosts that Endeavor can't hit (getting to that soon), because they'll likely switch out against T-tar.

Hippowdon
Item: Leftovers
Nature: Impish
EVs: 252 HP, 4 Atk, 252 Def
Ability: Sand Stream
~Crunch
~Stockpile
~Slack Off
~Toxic

I need another Sand summoner to counter other weather teams because Sandstorm is vital for this team. This set is tanky and works. Crunch is to hit ghosts that Endeavor can't, and the other moves with Leftovers makes a pretty good tank.

Aron
Level 1
EVs and Nature: Who cares?
Item: Shell Bell
Ability: Sturdy
~Endeavor
~Sleep Talk
~Aerial Ace
~Protect

For those who don't know about this gimmicky "FEAR" Aron, the idea is to get a few KOs with Sturdy + Endeavor, with sandstorm finishing the foe off. Then, since it's at level 1, the Shell Bell will almost certainly heal all of the HP! Aerial Ace is to take down weakened foes who are immune to Sandstorm and don't have Leftovers, and Sleep Talk is a good filler move in the rare instance they try to put Aron to sleep. Protect is another filler move and can Sandstorm or Toxic stall, or just scout while doing those!

Gallade
Item: Life Orb
Nature: Jolly
EVs: 4 HP, 252 Atk, 252 Spe
Ability: Steadfast
~Psycho Cut
~Shadow Sneak
~Night Slash
~Stone Edge/Close Combat

Gallade is a good Pokemon for this team. He outspeeds Breloom, a major threat to Aron and usually OHKOs it with Psycho Cut. Night Slash, is, again, to hit ghosts that Endeavor can't Shadow Sneak provides priority to finish off Endeavor-weakened foes that are immune to Sandstorm. I'm not sure what to use for the last slot, as both moves have their uses.

Starmie
Item: Fire Gem
Nature: Timid
EVs: 252 SpA, 4 SpD, 252 Spe
Ability: Natural Cure
~Rapid Spin
~Surf
~Ice Beam
~Hidden Power Fire

Hazards and hazard setters are a big pain to FEAR Aron, so a fast spinner is needed (maybe even two). HP Fire + Gem is pretty good as a silver bullet against Ferrothorn and Forretress. The other moves are good against most Pokemon immune to Sandstorm.

Cloyster (Should I have Spin on it???)
Item: Life Orb/Ice Gem/Expert Belt (currently using Life Orb)
Nature: Adamant
EVs: 4 HP, 252 Atk, 252 Spe
Ability: Skill Link
~Ice Shard
~Icicle Spear
~Rock Blast
~Shell Smash

Another Pokemon providing priority kills on Pokemon weakened by Endeavor but immune to Sandstorm. If you predict the switch then Shell Smash can be used. Not to mention that Cloyster is just a good Pokemon in general and definitely has sweeping potential.

So what do you guys think?

Looks pretty well-rounded to me. Let's see what I can do to help.
First, running Taunt on T-tar makes Fire Blast quite useless, as a Taunted Foretress, Skarmory or Ferrothorn, especially the first and second, will probably switch out. Concerning the item, I'd go for either Lefotovers or Shed Shell, with Focus Sash being third. Shed Shell might sound a bit gimmicky, but since the point is to bring out Aron, it's helpful, since Aron usually can't switch in, so you normally have to wait for a KO.
Hippowdon and Aron are OK. You could consider putting more EVs on Hippowdon's SpD, since it doesn't get a boost from Sandstorm, but that's up to you.
Gallade might seem a bit of a weird choice, but right now I can't think of a better alternative, so I'll stick to it. Shadow Sneak hits Ghosts and Reuniclus for super effective damage, so you may want to abandon Night Slash for the sake of either Leaf Blade or Stone Edge. On the last slot, I'd definitely recommend Close Combat. Be careful with Gallade, though, as Life Orb damage combined with Sandstorm greatly decrease its survivability.
Starmie is quite good, the only think I don't get is its item. Gems aren't viable in OU. I'd go with Leftovers, since it can also heal the damage of your own Sandstorm.
Cloyster is the standard set, I don't have anything to say here. However, if you want a spinner, then I don't think Cloyster is very good in that. In such a case, I suggest replacing it with Foretress, who can also set up hazards itself and has Volt Switch, allowing you to easy bring Aron in. Plus, Forry is immune to Sandstorm.

I am rather confused as to why you would run any of the three items you listed for tyranitar. It seems that you are trying to survive a would-be-ko fighting type move. For what purpose though? Your lead does little but set up rocks, and antagonize Ghosts/Psychics. You really have no reason to stay in on anything that would warrant the use of a Chopple, Focus Sash, or air balloon.

Back